Sick of saying 'Sorry, I can't afford it'

Is anyone else tired of using this phrase? I'm trying soooooooooo hard at the moment to spend as little money as possible but then spend just as long worrying that people will think I am tight or money obsessed!

So far this week, I've been asked out for a girls night out and 2 holidays and I've had to trot out the well worn words 'Sorry, I can't afford it'. On one hand, I'm really pleased I'm not giving in but on the other hand, I'm not someone who likes disappointing people when they ask me to go places!

Anyone got any new ways of saying I'm skint without letting the whole world know my business?

threadbanner.gif
Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!

Comments

• heppy23
    heppy23 Posts: 478
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is anyone else tired of using this phrase? I'm trying soooooooooo hard at the moment to spend as little money as possible but then spend just as long worrying that people will think I am tight or money obsessed!

So far this week, I've been asked out for a girls night out and 2 holidays and I've had to trot out the well worn words 'Sorry, I can't afford it'. On one hand, I'm really pleased I'm not giving in but on the other hand, I'm not someone who likes disappointing people when they ask me to go places!

Anyone got any new ways of saying I'm skint without letting the whole world know my business?

Say you are saving up for something? Car/deposit on house/wedding etc
  • Tell them THEY can't afford it! Say it jokingly, but the induced guilt often allays further probing and allows an easier brush off if they are persistent.

I've used it on my OH. Hasn't stopped her buying new shoes though :undecided
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions. A.A. Latimer :eek:
    Debt Jan 06: £103,000
    Current: £99,000
    Debt-free date: 2465 (give or take a century)
    Current homemade banana bread status: 2 slices left
    Current statement/letter stack: 8.6 inches
    The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money
    :D
  • Why don't you say I am sorry but I am too busy enhancing my future lifestyle, to fritter pennies that will end up down the toilet.
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    It sometimes takes a little time for this message to sink into some peoples heads, after a month or so of saying similar people have stopped begging me to go out. :)
  • marieb wrote:
    Why don't you say I am sorry but I am too busy enhancing my future lifestyle, to fritter pennies that will end up down the toilet.

:rotfl: Must remember that one!!

Heppy, if I say the wedding word or marriage one in my house, BF goes into a blind panic! lol
  • I always say I'm saving up for a new car (except to my bestest friends who know I'm on a tight budget cos of debt). Most people seem to accept it without much thought and it saves you feeling down on yourself or worrying what they think
    Quit smoking 18/08/07
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I just tell people I cannot afford it, whatever it is. Most people won;t ask why. I just say I don;t have a lot of money to play with and can't spare the £20 or whatever to go out.

No-one's ever had a problem with it, and if they did, they wouldn't be my friend for much longer.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Thanks guys. I do find being debt embarrassing, and I shouldn't when I know that a lot of my friends are probably in the same position as me and nowhere near their lightbulb moment
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

yep had that exact thing today hun some of my friends from work have gone down the pub for lunch while im sat at me desk having me lunch that i made for meself, i was asked but came out with the same phrase.."i cant afford it"

At the rate its going i think they are getting bored of me saying i cant afford it, cos im getting bored of saying it me self plus they always look disappointed when i do say it......:o

As much as i would love to go down there with them i just dont have room for it in my budget :o

So i know exactly what u mean hun :grouphug:
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey there Littlemiss-lotsofdebt

I understand how you feel. Being in debt is embarrassing but what I've come to realise recently is that not doing anything about it and getting into a deeper mess is far worse than saying 'sorry, I can't afford it'.

Feel proud of yourself, you are doing what many people can't.

:grouphug: We are here for each other.
    Leason learnt :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family