Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area - Page 66

New Post Advanced Search

Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:35PM in Mobiles
1.3K replies 366K views

Replies

• i haggled and am getting a £10 a month discount from carphonewarehouse

so am paying £4.75 a month for 275 cross network anytime minutes and 275 texts

apparently it should a £14.75 02 package but carphone warehouse are giving me a discount on this (no cashback nonsense)

I get the feeling that as the market matures there is a market such as myself (who rarely uses my phone and is only now getting slightly unhappy with my 6 year old handset) which is costing them virtually nothing and so will offer very low deals

I'm wondering how they are going to entice me next time though
  • atlantis187atlantis187 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    grintricha wrote: »
    i haggled and am getting a £10 a month discount from carphonewarehouse

so am paying £4.75 a month for 275 cross network anytime minutes and 275 texts

apparently it should a £14.75 02 package but carphone warehouse are giving me a discount on this (no cashback nonsense)

I get the feeling that as the market matures there is a market such as myself (who rarely uses my phone and is only now getting slightly unhappy with my 6 year old handset) which is costing them virtually nothing and so will offer very low deals

I'm wondering how they are going to entice me next time though

Did u get this deal recently?

What network is it and how long is the contract?
  • Is it possible to get third party suppliers to lower their prices down with this sort of persuasion, ie MobilePhonesDirest.com etc.etc.
  • edited 27 January 2010 at 4:03AM
    PhasePhase Forumite
    58 posts
    edited 27 January 2010 at 4:03AM
    I am on the 3 network and I upgraded in 2008 with unlimited texts, 300 minutes and unlimited Internet with a phone for £20 per month on a 18 month contract. I would bring in a "better deal" but I can't really find one to show them in comparison. I would love a touch screen phone for my next phone with a headphone jack (so I don't have to buy another mp3). Do you think I would be able to haggle them to do better?

I would also ask if anyone thinks it is better to haggle on the phone or in the store?
  • I am nearing the time I always dread, having to upgrade the phone and chose a new phone and re-learn everything etc etc.

I thought I'd just get a SIM contract (again) and maybe buy a new phone separately if I feel the need.

CPW have offered me (without yet going to the nice retentions people):

18month SIM contract with
    600mins & 500txts
    Free unlimited internet (presume w/in reason)
    which allows access to Google FreeMaps re SatNav
    Cost £35/month with £420 cashback....ie £11.56/month.

I used to be on something like this with effective £4-odd/month, which was quite good. This new deal is acceptable on that basis but I though I would ask around here in case others have received/bartered better deals.

eg, anyone improved on this by chatting with the retention dept, etc?
  • My 18 month contact ends next month - I called o2 and asked what deal they could do me on the Sony Aino - £35pm for 400mins & 500texts - no negotiation & no discount - that was the deal.

Spoke to the 'retentions' dept who said the same - when I renewed with them last time they offered me a 40% on my tariff, this time nothing.

I've given them notice & requested my PAC - I guess they just don't want my business!

Now off to find me another deal x
  • d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
    152 posts
    I am nearing the time I always dread, having to upgrade the phone and chose a new phone and re-learn everything etc etc.

I thought I'd just get a SIM contract (again) and maybe buy a new phone separately if I feel the need.

CPW have offered me (without yet going to the nice retentions people):

18month SIM contract with
    600mins & 500txts
    Free unlimited internet (presume w/in reason)
    which allows access to Google FreeMaps re SatNav
    Cost £35/month with £420 cashback....ie £11.56/month.

I used to be on something like this with effective £4-odd/month, which was quite good. This new deal is acceptable on that basis but I though I would ask around here in case others have received/bartered better deals.

eg, anyone improved on this by chatting with the retention dept, etc?
    I can't advise for / against cashback deals as I haven't had one myself but I don't like them. Also, for that original price of £35 on a sim only deal you should really get a lot more. Depends on what you really want to spend though. I have a BlackBerry 8520 on Panther 25 (Orange). 400 mins, unltd ttext, unltd internet/blackberry data (500mb fair usage), all for a mere £15 a month for 24 months. It's awesome, and theres no cashback crap involved..
  • mobilejunkiemobilejunkie Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, since for the last three and a half years I've had dozens of totally free (actually, profit-making) cashback deals saving thousands of pounds (and got as many for a few other people) such dealers are only "crap" if the people using them don't put in the time and effort required to ensure they know precisely what they are doing. Otherwise they can't be beaten; buy the phone and get everything else free if you don't like the one which comes with the deal (and many of mine have been excellent as well!). Good God - can't imagine spending anything on calls and texts that alone £15 a MONTH!!
  • Hi, Mobile Junkie.
    You're the one, then. What are the current £0-deals available, eh?

(I must say I prefer CPW as they will happily deal with me as a ltd company (tax savings), whereas most others will not. But £0 is £0 -- just as good/better than tax savings.)
  • mobilejunkiemobilejunkie Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    None with cpw - though some deals are there if you're desperate (work out more than free with Quidco or Topcashback provided the cashback is paid - but fewer minutes and a rubbish phone). Otherwise (for totally free) you need to swim in more dangerous waters with one or two minnows....