We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sutton's default removal letters

Options

Comments

• Sammy_Girl
    Sammy_Girl Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks NID - I'll wait till next week then :)
  • melissa'smoney
    Options
    There you go, they do listen if you just persevere! Glad they have sorted things for you, that wasn't hard was it - send a letter and watch them squirm lol

Out of interest was the call from that guy I mentioned to write to or someone else? I thought the name I gave was head of consumer complaints but they change staff daily its hard to keep up lol

Well done - nice one :T

It was from a female who said she was head of customer complaints and i have to say very nice indeed. It is the first time someone has actually apoligised and she said she was appauled at the way customer services had acted. She also said, and im sure this was just lip service, that my case would be used at for training purposes as this should never have happenend ie increasing my DD with no notice.
    So once again thank you and I hope others can benifit too :money:

Quidco to date = £1224 cashback
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    It was from a female who said she was head of customer complaints and i have to say very nice indeed. It is the first time someone has actually apoligised and she said she was appauled at the way customer services had acted. She also said, and im sure this was just lip service, that my case would be used at for training purposes as this should never have happenend ie increasing my DD with no notice.
    So once again thank you and I hope others can benifit too :money:

Excellent news - glad to be of some help..... :j Great to see successes :T
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • sammylou100
    sammylou100 Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC didn't even bother to respond to my letters as they said my case was now with Metropolitan. At that stage, last September, I decided my only course of action was the ombudsman. Which is where I have been since September. I had a response from the adjudicator, now I have asked for the ombudsman to review the case, which I am in a 3 month queue for.
    I did write to HSBC directly, about 8 times last year, but none of the letters were as formal as the ones on this site and they all got ignored, I was just wondering whether it might be worth another go with a more informed approach? :confused:
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    HSBC didn't even bother to respond to my letters as they said my case was now with Metropolitan. At that stage, last September, I decided my only course of action was the ombudsman. Which is where I have been since September. I had a response from the adjudicator, now I have asked for the ombudsman to review the case, which I am in a 3 month queue for.
    I did write to HSBC directly, about 8 times last year, but none of the letters were as formal as the ones on this site and they all got ignored, I was just wondering whether it might be worth another go with a more informed approach? :confused:

so what happened? what have hsbc done? sorry, just enlighten me please.... :confused:

do you have a debt / default etc...

• sammylou100
    Options
    No not at all, I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my prob!

Basically I have a default from HSBC from a student account which amassed £100's in charges, as I was a student I stopped using the account because of the charges (stupid!). The account was over the overdraft limit for a year or so and just sat there, during this time I was stalked by HSBC and made little payments to the account. In Jan 08 I tried to call HSBC to start a payment plan because I knew the problem needed sorting,I had finished uni and started working. HSBC wouldn't take my money as they said I wasn't in a position to make payments. My account was then handed to their debt collection agency and has been defaulted since March last year. During this time I moved and they although I called them THREE times to give them my new address they never kept it and I never got a letter informing me of the default. My letters to HSBC were ignored (unfortunately a year ago I had no idea about MSE otherwise I would have been in a much better position). I now pay the debt collecting agency £20 a month to clear the debt, I still owe around £1100 and I have had most of the charges refunded.

HSBC told me that so long as I made a payment every 30 days my account would show activity and not default, a month later i discovered the default through CreditExpert. In September I started a complaint with the ombudsman to get the default removed, I am now in a queue waiting for the ombudsman's review, this queue is 3 months long. HSBC have admitted to the ombudsman that they gave me false info, it turns out that in order to avoid a default I would have had to clear my debt by 10%. During the course of my review from the ombudsman HSBC have also lied to the ombudsman (they said that one of my payments did not count as it had been made with a HSBC credit card - I don't have one!). It's one big mess!

So to cut a 3 year story short I still owe them £1100 which I am slowly paying back, HSBC will not talk to me as I am now with Metropolitan, it's all my fault as I was very bad with money as a student BUT HSBC have lied to me all along which has not helped. I am just desperate to get the default taken off. :mad:
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    To be honest, you'd be better posting over here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=102

This is specific to reclaiming charges and to be honest you'd be better to follow the advice on there as this thread would not achieve what is best for you, in that yea you could get the default removed but then again you could get all charges revoked which could be better for you.....

Have a read over here and see how you get on..... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=102

I'd just copy this text: #367 and start a new thread in the bank charges forum. see what happens....

• sammylou100
    edited 3 June 2009 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Unfortunately I have very little in writing since the debt was handed to Metropolitan as phone calls with them are excrutiating, when I ask them to put things in writing I tend to come up against a dead end!

My overdraft limit as a student was £1250, so anything above that amount was charges. When the default was issued I owed £1641, I had already been making small payments so had cleared off very small amounts. (basically what I am saying is that I owed £1250) I have had £400 back from HSBC for charges on the account and they have offered me a further £250 if I stop my complaint with the ombudsman...I hope this makes sense?!

FURTHER TO THIS i WILL MOVE OVER TO THE OTHER THREAD, THANKS FOR INFO NID.
  • never-in-doubt
    Options

FURTHER TO THIS i WILL MOVE OVER TO THE OTHER THREAD, THANKS FOR INFO NID.

Thanks - I just feel you'll get better info there and maybe able to get some dosh back! If anything get dosh back then come back here and we'll try unenforceability - especially if they remove the default and pass the debt back to HSBC - ooops, they can never issue a default again :D

This is their big mess-up and happens a lot so pay attention to your credit file and print it if you see the default drop off - one default per debt, lifetime of the debt!

Last advice - never ever speak on the phone - you must do everything by letter! If they ring you just say sorry, please write to me and hang up. Be polite but firm - do not converse with them anymore!

Good luck!

• Sammy_Girl
    Sammy_Girl Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Arrrggghh!!!!!!

I've just been on Royal Mail's website to check that my recorded items were delivered to Egg and it only says that they were received by my local post office on the 22/05/09.

I've been trying to get through to Royal Mail on the phone and I'm just going round in circles! I just want to speak to an advisor to find out whats going on!!!

Rant over...feel better now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family