TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

Options

Comments

• alivi5
    Options
    By the way, money back offers are totally different from TMTI. You know the company you are dealing with and you have recourse to get the moeny back for a product. TMTI is for another product that you never asked for and is from a different company.

So they take money off you for a product you never asked for.

Scam written all over it.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    You "asked for" it when you agreed to a contract where it was offered free for a month as part of the deal - plain for all to see for those who read what they're signing up to. Whilst the practice may be deplorable (like a lot of things cpw do - and yes, of course they make money out of it AND the insurance) - but even I wouldn't describe it as a scam!
  • catfish50
    catfish50 Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting.

I just ordered a phone from Carphone Warehouse's site at mobiles.co.uk, for the bargain price of 1p, plus £10 airtime. The order confirmation has the same thing other posters have described, links to the Gadget Helpline thingy and the insurance site, saying that direct debits will be set up. But I paid the £10.01 with my O2 prepaid debit card, so they don't have my bank details to set up any direct debits. Will they try to set up a CCCA on my prepaid debit card, I wonder?

Useful thread, with the various bits of information about how to cancel.

The 1p phone is an unlocked PAYG LG GS101, with the bare minimum of functionality. Not everybody's dream phone but useful as a backup -- as long as I don't end up paying for insurance and a "helpline"! That would be ironic, for a 1p phone. :)
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    On the other hand, ordering from this means you may need all the help you can get.... though unfortunately the add-ons won't provide that kind of assistance, since they're all in the same bed!
  • Panther777cat
    Options
    I just had this same experience with Tmti Ltd. I cancelled my insurance when I took out my new mobile and this random company just appeared taking £20.16. It was this forum that showed me it was actually the same people.

I phoned them and argued.....eventually they offred a refund minus a £5 admin fee. I refused this and instead emailed their Managing Director Crispin Thomas on [EMAIL="cthomas@tmti.net"]cthomas@tmti.net[/EMAIL]
    He emailed me back instantly giving me a full refund and an apology.

Later I got an email from the Finance Director Phil barker [EMAIL="pbarker@tmti.net"]pbarker@tmti.net[/EMAIL] with a further apology and an additional payment of £20 compensation for the hassle.

So if you end up in the same situation email these guys and skip the idiots in customer services who call you a liar.
  • welshsue
    welshsue Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    I had a phone from E2 save and had nothing about this insurance so did not sign up for anything. I have just had £20.64 taken from my account by TMTI. I have cancelled using their online system and have emailed the managing director asking for an immediate refund.
    I thought this was against the law. My bank details have been passed on to other companies without my permission.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    welshsue wrote: »
    I had a phone from E2 save and had nothing about this insurance so did not sign up for anything. I have just had £20.64 taken from my account by TMTI. I have cancelled using their online system and have emailed the managing director asking for an immediate refund.
    I thought this was against the law. My bank details have been passed on to other companies without my permission.

All Carphone warehouse groups offer a free months insurance when you take out a contract unless you opt out. Did you opt out at the time you took the phone out?

I suspect you didn't and it's simply the insuracne being paid for. You may not have realised you had the insuracne but you probably agreed to it when buying the phone.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Opting out isn't an option with cpw sites unless you opt out of the whole deal!
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Opting out isn't an option with cpw sites unless you opt out of the whole deal!

Didn't know that I've not ordered from CPW for a while. Been and tried to buy and I see what you mean

Point remains that it's not details being passed on without permission it's billing for a service that the customer agreed to on taking out the contract.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I agree with that - and have pointed out many times to others when it crops up and they claim not to be aware of what they have signed up to. It's perfectly clear at the point of sale for those who care to read. The problem arises because some people don't read (and it's neither hidden nor unnoticeable) or (more likely) forget to cancel the insurance AND gadget helpline when the phone arrives (or at least before the free period expires). Human nature being what it is, people then blame everyone but themselves - though it can also be argued that customers should not be "forced" into the optional extras. It's a bit like ticking (or unticking) the box which allows a company to use your personal details to not only bombard you with marketing rubbish but also to sell it on to other organisations. Those boxes are often desinged to be misread and hidden amongst a pile of fine print.

As always it's caveat emptor; at least ordering over the internet enables people to PROVE what they signed up to (unlike all those oral deals by telephone when what you're told isn't what you get!). It's a crucial but double-edged sword; if people don't take the minimum care to ensure they know exactly what they are agreeing to and how it all works they shouldn't be ordering in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure