Problem with Hermes Delivery Services

Options

Comments

• quaver
    quaver Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2010 at 8:45AM
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Quaver, surely the answer is for consumers not to use those retailers which only offer Hermes delivery?

I absolutely agree. I even hinted at that in my post.
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Originally posted by felinefriend
    I also encountered a man who came out of his house shouting at me because his wifes birthday present hadnt arrived in the overnight service he's paid for. He left me in tears, I had delivered to him one day late in 5 inches of snow in my car that had slid all the way down his road and almost crashed. It wasnt even my fault, the delivery vans hadnt made it to my depot as they had got stuck on the motorway the day before.
    FF don't every accept that sort of abuse, report and remove them from your deliveries, if your field manager doesn't do it for you go above her. There's also a parcelforum that gives information about joining the union for Hermes self employed couriers, google it or PM me, don't be kicked from below and above.

Originally posted by Cyberbob
    The problem is its not just a few rotten apples by reports the only people who seem to think myhermes are any good are you couriers.
    There are numerous threads on the ebay community boards and have been on the ebay boards here about problems with myhermes so it doesn't look like an isolated incident. My Hermes need to do some serious work on there service and public relations. There's little point in offering such competitive prices if the service is rubbish
    Cyberbob there are numerous threads about problems with every delivery company including the Post Office. Not everyone who thinks MyHermes gives a good service are the couriers, it's the old story, if it's good you don't hear about it!
    Originally posted by Chamelon
    Can any of you Hermes couriers tell me what the policy of smoking in your vehicles whilst delivering parcels is please?
    As a non-smoker I get extremely angry at taking delivery of MY goods stinking of cigarette smoke, to the point where I'm going to start refusing to accept them! :mad:
    Don't know the answer to that one Chamelon or quaver but I suspect you could raise the issue with Hermes although I think the no smoking in work vehicles doesn't apply to self employed in their own cars. I've raised the issue as a courier having to collect from pongy homes and putting items stinking of chip fat, smoke etc in my car, no joy I can't refuse. I have noticed because the parcels are plastic wrapped it doesn't really stick around for long though.

Originally posted by quaver
    @felinefriend, I mean no disrespect to you, I really don't, but I think you should be very careful not to provide any information which may help your employer to identify you, because everything you just said reflects on them very - no, extremely - badly, and I can't imagine why anybody would order from a retailer using Hermes for delivery after reading your account.

I mean really, you have just indicated that they have a pathetic infrastructure compared to the likes of Royal Mail and City Link, and that's maddening to people like me who pay similar postage costs to the retailer for an exponentially worse delivery service. On top of that, we hear that you're underpaid, treated badly, inadequately kitted out (certainly if you're repeatedly falling over in icy conditions) and perhaps even physically unsuitable for the job. Is it any surprise then that morale is so low among Hermes couriers that SOME have such disrespect for their employer, and can't even be bothered to convey a good impression for the sake of the company image? I'm assuming the courier responsible for delivering my parcel from Debenhams - despatched two weeks ago - falls in that camp because they've been pretending attempted deliveries every day since. We know they are lying because not only has somebody been here all that time, but we have CCTV. Do you think I should fart rainbows and express general delight rather than complain when my courier finally turns up? (Assuming he or she makes it of course.)

Honestly, I didn't think my impression of Hermes could get any worse until I Googled and read this. I'm sorry that some of you couriers live in such economically deprived areas that you must resort to the likes of Hermes for jobs, I really am. They are an absolute disgrace.
    Well quaver, I think you should be absolutely ashamed for posting "I'm sorry that some of you couriers live in such economically deprived areas that you must resort to the likes of Hermes for jobs", I really am. They are an absolute disgrace.

What makes you think Hermes couriers live in deprived areas, I don't and most couriers in my region don't. I think it's wonderful that many people take jobs that perhaps are beneath their capabilities, in my area we have retired police, teachers.university graduates etc. earning a living.

I'm sure felinefriend would welcome your advice if it applied but he's not employed, he's self employed so has an allegiance to his own business(himself).

Highly amusing your comments about f**ting rainbows, I may try that when the customers are at home, they check the none working bell etc. I can't say there's not a delivery person in all companies that have pretended to deliver, it must happen sometimes, read it on many forums about RM, DHL and Hermes, don't see why they would pretend.

I can say definitely that some customers pretend they were at home when I've tryed to deliver, I didn't knock, bell not working, someones been home all day. I say to them we have to call 3 times anyway so no problem and no need to fib, I'd much rather someone said sorry I missed you I had to go out.
  • quaver
    quaver Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2010 at 12:20PM
    Options
    SADIE wrote: »
    Well quaver, I think you should be absolutely ashamed for posting "I'm sorry that some of you couriers live in such economically deprived areas that you must resort to the likes of Hermes for jobs", I really am. They are an absolute disgrace.

What makes you think Hermes couriers live in deprived areas...
    Apparently you didn't read my post. Well, just enough to get all prolix and offended apparently.

We just had a post from a Hermes courier, who receives pennies for each parcel delivered, wasn't kitted out appropriately for icy weather (hence the repeated falls and even broken bones), and didn't have the appropriate transport for driving in predictable December weather conditions. DHL, Royal Mail, City Link, etc., although not perfect, have all of these bases covered, and yet their delivery fees are similar.

Trying to distance yourself from 'employee' status by pointing out the self-employed status of Hermes couriers is neither here nor there. It is a very common tactic for (usually small) companies on tight margins to force people (who cannot find employment elsewhere) into the self-employed/pay-per-task role in order to skirt minimum wage laws. If they don't technically employ them, they don't have to worry about it. How very ethical and caring of them!

But *I* should be ashamed for drawing attention to this. /cry cry.

Clearly if somebody is prepared to be taken advantage of like that, there is a problem. Either with their own employability, or the economic situation in their immediate area. If you want to get all offended by that, fine.

Also, I'm very happy for you to put your disdain and sweeping generalisations on record about parcel recipients here because anybody Googling Hermes can see for themselves the attitude they should expect. Obviously there are going to be x percent of negative customers, just like there are going to be y percent of negative couriers, but search engine rankings suggest a bizarre number complaints against Hermes couriers for such a medium-sized outfit. I have no doubt that some people aren't at home when you try to deliver because (surprise!) some people have lives and jobs to attend to and the Hermes tracking system gives absolutely no indication of when a courier is going to TRY to deliver a parcel. That's why people (like me) go to the extent of ensuring somebody is at home once they realise what kind of cowboy outfit they're dealing with, and why they get infuriated when nothing turns up for over a week. Especially when the courier is feeding outright lies into the tracking system suggesting they attempted delivery when (even if my eyes and ears were failing) my own doorstep CCTV system proves otherwise.
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently you didn't read my post. Well, just enough to get all prolix and offended apparently.
    Not at all, I did read your post and my response couldn't be anything but "all prolix" or I wouldn't have been able to answer your comments.

Offence was taken only on your assumption that some (noted some) "I'm sorry that some of you couriers live in such economically deprived areas that you must resort to the likes of Hermes for jobs, I really am." I read nothing in their post to suggest they came from a deprived area or couldn't get another job.

We just had a post from a Hermes courier, who receives pennies for each parcel delivered, wasn't kitted out appropriately for icy weather (hence the repeated falls and even broken bones), and didn't have the appropriate transport for driving in predictable December weather conditions. DHL, Royal Mail, City Link, etc., although not perfect, have all of these bases covered, and yet their delivery fees are similar.
    You have taken that post out of context, the courier stated in certain circumstances i.e. customers not responding and adverse weather conditions reduced their pay.
    Warm clothing and sturdy boots are all that's provided in most employed delivery jobs, I had these but still fell, I am fit and able. Cars and recovery policy is up to the individual when self employed.

Trying to distance yourself from 'employee' status by pointing out the self-employed status of Hermes couriers is neither here nor there. It is a very common tactic for (usually small) companies on tight margins to force people (who cannot find employment elsewhere) into the self-employed/pay-per-task role in order to skirt minimum wage laws. If they don't technically employ them, they don't have to worry about it. How very ethical and caring of them!
    I'm certainly not trying to distance myself from anything, my post was in answer to smoking in cars(different for employed and self employed) and your comments to FF about not showing his/her employer in a good light, enlightening you to the incorrect status you placed on the poster and responsibility of a self employed person.

But *I* should be ashamed for drawing attention to this. /cry cry.
    LMAO at this, no further comment

Clearly if somebody is prepared to be taken advantage of like that, there is a problem. Either with their own employability, or the economic situation in their immediate area. If you want to get all offended by that, fine.
    I think your offensive but no I'm not offended or surprised by your comments.

Also, I'm very happy for you to put your disdain and sweeping generalisations on record about parcel recipients here because anybody Googling Hermes can see for themselves the attitude they should expect. Obviously there are going to be x percent of negative customers, just like there are going to be y percent of negative couriers, but search engine rankings suggest a bizarre number complaints against Hermes couriers for such a medium-sized outfit. I have no doubt that some people aren't at home when you try to deliver because (surprise!) some people have lives and jobs to attend to and the Hermes tracking system gives absolutely no indication of when a courier is going to TRY to deliver a parcel. That's why people (like me) go to the extent of ensuring somebody is at home once they realise what kind of cowboy outfit they're dealing with, and why they get infuriated when nothing turns up for over a week. Especially when the courier is feeding outright lies into the tracking system suggesting they attempted delivery when (even if my eyes and ears were failing) my own doorstep CCTV system proves otherwise.
    I can't comment about you personally being in or away for your deliveries, I can only comment on some customers who state they're home and I didn't knock or ring, almost always admit not true when your going to deliver again.
    I'm rather pleased also at the way you've posted, it does show a lot about you. Hopefully anyone thinking of working as a self employed courier can google it. to have an idea of the problems.

I have no doubt that some people aren't at home when you try to deliver because (surprise!) some people have lives and jobs to attend to.
    I have a life and jobs to attend to but I always make arrangements to accept deliveries, I can't understand people not reading their delivery info and making appropiate arrangements.
  • goblinmarket
    Options
    I am trying to sort a problem with Hermes now.

I haven't received a parcel - 1 of about 15 in the last few weeks.

the tracking for said parcel online is incomplete - it is showing as "out for delivery"

I told them, they spoke to the courier and they related the shipment number to one i received that was badly ripped - they say that this is the shipment and the scanning is incomplete because of the rip and an inability to scan it.

HOWEVER - the ripped parcel was a different shipment - I ALSO SIGNED FOR THE RIPPED PARCEL as it looked intact, just ripped - so the tracking for the ripped one was completed with signature.

I have also had confirmation from the sender that the missing parcel was shipped in a cardboard box with labels stuck directly on - there was no rippable materials.

The customer service is terrible - they seem unable to even contemplate that the error lies with them. They still have no real answer as to why the tracking is incomplete. And when I counter their claims with fact, they change the story and i get another brick wall.

The last thing I heard was "the missing parcel is the one you had that was ripped - if you are missing a parcel we need the correct shipment number"

I have chosen to step out of this ever revolving circle and emailed a request for a lost parcel claim form.

Do I go to the police? - please help - I feel like they are covering the couriers back with everything pointing towards the parcel being stolen in a calculated way. OR it is simply lost in their process and they are unable to admit this.

PLEASE ADVISE
  • goblinmarket
    Options
    please please

anyone know if its a good idea to go to the police about this?
  • glasgowjim
    Options
    please please

anyone know if its a good idea to go to the police about this?

If you have reason to think a crime has been commited then by all means contact the police.

Also, this thread has become just a place for people to take cheap shots at each other!

I loved the poster that slated another for punctuation then went on to spell "wagon" as "waggon" priceless- LMAO :T
  • littlenell
    Options
    hi,i am a hermes courier,and we are not all bad.i leave my customers my phone number on most of the parcels i deliver so they can arrange collection through me.also if they are not in a card is left with my details and the parcels details to.some tell us of safe places where we can leave them,but what is a safe place really other than leaving it with them direct.i enjoy my job and meeting customers,just wish they were in tho if they order an am or pm del.and i deliver sundays to if need be.
  • MarzipanFish
    MarzipanFish Posts: 550 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought i'd say that hermes have been good for me

I was a bit worried when i saw this thread having made a big order from a company that use hermes. The 4 deliveries and 1 pickup i've had in the last month have been very speedy.
  • chrisaj
    chrisaj Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    littlenell wrote: »
    hi,i am a hermes courier,and we are not all bad.i leave my customers my phone number on most of the parcels i deliver so they can arrange collection through me.also if they are not in a card is left with my details and the parcels details to.some tell us of safe places where we can leave them,but what is a safe place really other than leaving it with them direct.i enjoy my job and meeting customers,just wish they were in tho if they order an am or pm del.and i deliver sundays to if need be.

Ditto.....Don't think there's many if any grumpy customers on our round ;)
    We often have special instuctions please leave in the garage but........the garage is locked :o Like you say it's enjoyable and especially meeting the recycled teenagers who are glad of a chat, they probably don't see anyone day in day out
    I get paid to smell great :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport