Advice on Teeth Whitening Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some Crest Whitestips Premium on Ebay, cost about £20, and they worked wonders in a week.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote:
    It beats me that there are people out there who are happy to put completely unknown chemicals into their mouths just because it was bought from a slick website with smiley faces on it and it says that it's 'the same stuff that dentists use'!

You don't know what anything you eat or drink is made of :confused: , if you see the chemicals they put in beer and wine you wouldn't drink it, you have to have a little more trust in people than you obviously have :confused:

Toothsmith wrote:
    Tooth whitening at the dentist is expensive because

Yeaaah !! Why ?? :confused: , small tube of gel costs £300...I don't think so. :eek:

Toothsmith wrote:
    On the internet, some geezer with an eye for a quick buck has found something cheap in China,

Again, tarring everyone with the same brush, not everyone on ebay is a shark :mad: and it comes from America ! home of the pearly white smile :D

Toothsmith wrote:
    Based on the principal that there is 'One born every minute' he coins it in and then next month starts again with Patio furniture.

Have a look at the feedback then. No chairs or tables after 2 years, still selling hundreds and hundreds of whitening kits. 1000's of positive feedbacks. Didn't work for me I know, but like you say it doesn't work for everyone. :confused:
    This is the same as you with your happy customers.

Toothsmith wrote:
    after all there are plenty of people out there gullible enough to buy the stuff!

And plenty of people like me who are willing to try avoid giving my hard earned cash to a *&%$*&%$:*&?:*&%$$$£ like you :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Fair enough Rob,

But wasn't the reason for your posting that you'd bought something off eBay and it hadn't worked?

You give your hard earned cash to whoever you want to.

I thought the idea of this web site was money saving though?

Something is not cheap if it doesn't work, or worse, costs you more when it makes matters worse.

As for trust. I only trust people I can meet. That needn't necessarily be the brewer of my beer, but the chap in the offie who sells me it is fine, and the landlord of my local is OK.

I wouldn't by it at a car boot sale.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • robowen
    Options
    You deliberately hijacked a good thread to vent your anger at a competitor, not to mention calling me and everyone else who have bought these kind of goods "Gullible", and "one born everyday".

I can't believe the board guide hasn't had a word with you yet.

Go elsewhere if you want to vent your anger.
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robowen wrote:
    You deliberately hijacked a good thread to vent your anger at a competitor, not to mention calling me and everyone else who have bought these kind of goods "Gullible", and "one born everyday".

There's only one person who looks to me to be expressing anger in this thread, and it ain't toothsmith!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • robowen
    Options
    It's no surprise to me that you would say that, as you thanked him/her for their post yesterday. :confused:

I am merely reacting to an insult and am entitled to be angry.

Toothsmith rant was was uncalled for and should have gone in the vent board.

end of story.
    robowen 5/6/2005©

• Toothsmith
    Options
    robowen wrote:

I am very sorry you feel so upset Rob.

It wasn't me that sold you stuff that didn't work. In fact if you'd paid for professional guidance and advice (That is where the money goes, not the goo in the syringe) it might well have been identified that the result you were after was not achievable with any product.

You go on putting whatever you want onto your teeth. If my post has made other people think twice about copying you then my work is done.

EBay wonder products are not in competition with me. I'm just fed up of the extra work they generate. Especially when people moan at the lack of NHS dentistry. They somehow feel that they have a right to have their own stupidity corrected at the expense of the taxpayer!

I don't have anything against people selling other stuff on eBay BTW. I bought an excellent dog crate a few months ago. Is your sensitivity here due to the fact you sell stuff there?

It's just when medical stuff is sold on a DIY basis I feel a boundary has been crossed.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we are veering slightly off topic and maybe some posts have been taken more literally than intended,
    so remember folks 'be nice to other moneysavers' icon7.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ribenagirl
    ribenagirl Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I'm quite interested in getting my teeth whitened too :D. But, am in the process of saving up to get it done properly in a proper surgery by a proper dentist - I have to agree with Toothsmith that when you buy off the internet, you DON'T know what you're always getting - e.g. is a company abroad, even if it's in America, subject to the same strict standards, controls and legal responsibilities as a UK company? I'm not sure.

And if something were to go wrong during my DIY teeth bleaching I would want to know that the person who I got the kit from would help me out with any problems that happened during application.

I have the same issue with US pharmacy websites that will happily ship prescription only medication to this country without thoroughly evaluating whether it is suitable for the individual. You really can't be messing about with your insides without knowing exactly what you're doing. If it goes wrong, you then only have yourself to blame. If you get it done professionally, you've got someone else to blame! :D;)

As for the positive feedback, I hate to be cynical, but are they really going to post negative feedback on their website? :( anyway, noone shout at me please! ;)
    :love: I :heart2: Boots :love:
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    I'd only shout at you about Ribena! ;)
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure