Advice on Teeth Whitening Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• pinkyler
    Options
    Hi Caterina, a timid query please.

Where do you get your peppermint leaves & the peppermint& tea tree oils?

How much do they cost?

Thanks for your time. I've been wanting to have whiter teeth for years, I tried PearlDrops - NOPE don't work. I'm Asian so have yellowy teeth because of the food I eat.

Any advice would help. :)
    I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!! - but I totally dislike the new Dumbledore (Richard Harris - may you rest in peace...)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    when my son was a baby we had flouride drops for him from the health visitor but when we moved,the new area put flouride in the water and we were told using drops too would make his teeth go brown.
    My mum has very beige teeth and was told by her dentist they are stronger if not white.I guess hers was the Enamel colour not staining.
  • Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i find that eucryll smokers tooth powder removes stains, and can see the difference after one use. think it may be abrasive though so i only use it when necessary.

sorry, not very 'old style' !!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On Moneysaving Old Style there is a thread on uses of hydrogen peroxide 3% and one of the uses is as toothpaste or mouthwash.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else got one of these kits off ebay ??

I have 3 crowns and when they were fitted, my dentist matched them to my other good teeth, which were the second 'highest'shade of white at the time. :j
    Now after the years have gone by, my other teeth have started to lose their colour a little bit. :think:

So, I got one of the kits from ebay.
    Have applied the gel about 6 times now and no change :think:

Wondered if there were any better kits or if you guys had better experiences with it. :think:

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't tried them. But bicarb of soda works really well, I noticed a difference after a few days. I use it instead of toothpaste, the only drawback is, it tastes like seawater :D
    Bulletproof
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    I have used one from https://www.the-smile-place.com, it was £100ish I think, the dentist quoted £500. It was fab :D <-- white toothed smiley
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried one off eBay to no effect :(

My dentist made my crowns slightly lighter than 2 other teeth (same as the rest) and now these two stand out, so I have been trying whitening, but to no avail :(

I don't know which one you bought off eBay, but mine was strong, in the sense of the taste and fumes
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    troo wrote:
    I haven't tried them. But bicarb of soda works really well, I noticed a difference after a few days. I use it instead of toothpaste, the only drawback is, it tastes like seawater :D

Interesting you say that.......the instructions for mine say use baking soda before and after using whitener :confused:

Maybe its the baking soda thats doing the whitening and not the ebay stuff.

It was advertised as 35%. This is supposed to be the strongest stuff.

I tried a tester at M/Airport. That bottle was £30. The test stuff, lathered up a bit and left the teeth clean even after 3 mins, but I didnt have £30 to get a bottle.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It beats me that there are people out there who are happy to put completely unknown chemicals into their mouths just because it was bought from a slick website with smiley faces on it and it says that it's 'the same stuff that dentists use'!

Putting domestos in clingfilm over your teeth would make them whiter but it would severly b**ge* up everything!

Tooth whitening at the dentist is expensive because a named individual professional is putting his reputation in the hands of a product that he is confident has been tested to a high standard and that in the vast majority of cases it will 'do what it says on the tin'. In the cases where it doesn't (And when dealing with people nothing works exactly the same on everybody) he will then be responsible for coming to some sort of arrangement with the patient so that the patient is still happy and will continue to put his/her trust in that named professional.

On the internet, some geezer with an eye for a quick buck has found something cheap in China, has ordered a lorry full and with a bit of investment (Or not even that in the case of eBay) has opened a web site on the completely unregulated internet. Based on the principal that there is 'One born every minute' he coins it in and then next month starts again with Patio furniture.

Sometimes I wish I had the guts to just sell crap over the internet. It's a damn sight less stressful than what I do now, and the returns would be better - after all there are plenty of people out there gullible enough to buy the stuff!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure