Advice on Teeth Whitening Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Reporting a remarkable improvement in the appearance of my teeth only after 4-5 cleans with my bicarb concoction (shows how useless the commercial stuff is, really!)

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whoo hoooo caterina

give us a flash of those pearly whites
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ;D
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ARRGH ARRGH IVE BEEN DAZZLED

teu31.gif
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cathy
    did your sons teeth become sensitive because of using the bicarb ???
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    no cos I told him after he brushed with the bicarb to brush again with sensodyne so he was ok

cos my friend payed a bomb to have hers done and they were super sensitive for a few weeks
    so I thought hed best to be safe than sorry
  • hello - my first post :)

i bought myself some very fine bicarb of soda powder from boots and brushed three times yesterday.

my gums are pretty sore and red from it though, a lot of white-ish dead skin came off too.

just wondering if anyone of you bicarb users have any developments to report since your last post?

i read today that the yellow is caused by discolouration of 'dentine' which is the secondary later of material underneath the enamel. enamel is transparent so using an abrasive like bicarb of soda doesn't do anything for you cosmetically, and is bad for your teeth in general. anyone heard anything similar?

cheers
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    . Does baking soda help whiten teeth?
    Not really. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) neutralizes plaque acids (which can contribute to tooth decay) and certain types of mouth odors. Depending on its concentration, baking soda may act as a mild abrasive (similar to hydrated silica gel and calcium phosphate dihydrate). But abrasives only remove stains, they don't restore the natural color of the tooth like peroxide.

http://www.naturalwhite.com/whiten/whitenfaq2.htm

stains etc removed is good enough for me lol
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My teeth are stained, what toothpaste should I use?
    There are toothpastes which claim to remove staining. They sometimes contain bicarbonate of soda which will help to remove any staining and dental plaque. These are often referred to as whitening toothpastes. It is important to realise that such toothpastes will only remove staining and will not change the natural colour of your teeth. If you feel you need something stronger to whiten your teeth, then speak to your dentist about how this could be done.

from
    http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=28
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    hello - my first post :)

i bought myself some very fine bicarb of soda powder from boots and brushed three times yesterday.

my gums are pretty sore and red from it though, a lot of white-ish dead skin came off too.

just wondering if anyone of you bicarb users have any developments to report since your last post?

i read today that the yellow is caused by discolouration of 'dentine' which is the secondary later of material underneath the enamel. enamel is transparent so using an abrasive like bicarb of soda doesn't do anything for you cosmetically, and is bad for your teeth in general. anyone heard anything similar?

cheers

Hiya G-F, tee hee, love the name..... I had a bit of soreness of the gums at first but it seems to have passed now I'm in my second week of bi-carbing. Mind you...only do it once a day with the bi-carb :o:o:o
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport