Advice on Teeth Whitening Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Toothsmith

As you know my teeth are far from perfect ;), but when I wanted mine whitening (for daughters wedding), I was told I'd need a brace/braces that had to be worn every night for a few months. I think it came with some bleaching agent, but I left it too late anyway.

But what I should have asked (instead of waffling ;)) is ... is that how tooth whitening works best? Not that I'll be having it done, I just wondered.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No-one's going to shout at you ribenagirl ;)

Mr original post was about finding out people experiences with teeth whitening, I'm not really bothered it hasn't worked for me as I know it doesn't work for everyone :confused:

However, after you pay your dentist £2-£3-£400 whatever, and he tells you it might not work for you either, I hope you are not too mad when you don't get a refund :mad:

after all......the gell is £10 and the rest is for counselling....nice surgery....lights......equipment....carpets......receptionist.

I was quite happy to let the 1000's of other people try it before I had a go :T

now I've tried it...I am even more wary of paying a small fortune for something that is still not guaranteed.

When you have it done....I really hope it works for you :j :j

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Toothsmith

As you know my teeth are far from perfect ;), but when I wanted mine whitening (for daughters wedding), I was told I'd need a brace/braces that had to be worn every night for a few months. I think it came with some bleaching agent, but I left it too late anyway.

But what I should have asked (instead of waffling ;)) is ... is that how tooth whitening works best? Not that I'll be having it done, I just wondered.

Good evening Mrs Sogood

There are basically 2 systems. Powerbleaching and gel/tray systems.

Powerbleaching eg Britesmile , but there are quite a few types.

Dentist will cover over the gums with either a 'paint on' masking agent or use a rubber dam (Big sheet of rubber with holes punched in it which the teeth go through) and then apply a gel to the teeth. You sit in the chair for about an hour often listening to music, with a bright light being beamed onto your teeth. One hour later :D ' I'm ready for my close up now Mr De Milne' :D

This is quick, quite dear and excellent for weddings/special events. Problem is, a lot of the colour change is due to dehydration of the tooth, and within a few days, the teeth have significantly darkened again :(

Gel/tray systems eg. Opalesence But there are many others.

Here, the dentist takes impressions of the teeth and makes a thin clear plastic tray that fits over the teeth but is trimmed so that the gums are kept gel free (This stuff can burn if not used properly - hence my initial concerns) The patient is supplied with the gel and given clear instructions about how to go about using it, what bad signs to look out for and what to do if any of them occur. (Normally it's fine, but best to be on the safe side.) the gels are either 10% or 15% carbamine peroxide (35% can be used in the surgery with masked out gums for 45 mins if the patient wants a quicker result, but would never let a patient loose on their own with 35% They'd be down to the bone before they could blink :silenced:

Anyway, this works more slowly. If the colour change required isn't too much, then a couple of weeks with 15% can be wonderful. If it's something like tetracycline staining that we're trying to get rid of (A very brown set of teeth caused by being prescribed tetracycline antibiotics whilst very young (<6yrs) ) then it can take months and be VERY expensive). The vast majority of people can be improved to a good noticeable degree within 2-4 weeks.

With this system, the change is, to all intents and purposes permanent. The teeth will go darker, but only at the same rate they would have done throughout your life. And if you keep the trays, the dentist will often supply another syringe or two if you feel the need to 'top them up' from time to time. It also tends to be a bit cheaper, as there is less surgery time involved.

This system can also be used to lighten individual teeth that have discoloured after root canal treatment.

Personally, I just do the second system. I have nothing against the powerbleaching systems, it's just I wouldn't fancy having such powerful chemicals against my teeth. It is evidence backed though, and apparently quite safe.

I tend to do top teeth first and then the bottom teeth. I feel that if I did them together, patients would come back and say 'It's not working' At least if they're only doing one arch, they can see the contrast and realize it IS working, and hopefully stop before they have see-through teeth :rotfl:

The systems don't work on crowns, or white fillings, which is why it is important to see the patient so that they can be advised that if they have their teeth whitened they may then need crowns or fillings replaced to match the new colour. Incidentally, Rob's initial reason for wanting to give it a bash - that his teeth had darkened around his crowns - is a very valid one, and one that tooth bleaching can really help with.

What it won't do

It won't get you a better job
    It won't get you a prettier boyfriend/girlfriend
    It won't loose you 25lbs
    It won't fix your life

These are some of the things we have to look out for when someone is sitting in our chair asking for their teeth to be whiter. Why does this person want this treatment :think: Unless I can answer that they just want their teeth a bit whiter, it's best not done.

As for the over the counter products. Most are pretty harmless and some are excellent at removing external staining, which does make the teeth look whiter. Much the same result could be had, at only a little extra cost, by visiting a hygienist. Where as well as the stain being removed, you'd get all the plaque, tartar and sundry gunk from the depths of the gums removed as well. So whiter teeth and fresher breath that would last longer than the minty flavour of the whitening strip.

As for products from unknown sources. Remember that anything 'high value' is counterfietted. Watches, perfumes etc. Just 'cos it says one thing on the bottle, don't assume that that's what's inside. Buy things like this from places you can trust.

I've just scrolled back through this. I'ts my longest post ever! Hope it's useful ;)

P.S.
    I don't RECOMMEND any of the products I've linked to in this message. I've just put them in as they contain good information that is typical of that TYPE of system.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Toothsmith, but that's not a post - it's a dissertation! :D

I think I was offered the 2nd option (I'll wade my way through it again ;)), but I think this was a brace type thing that's worn during sleeping hours?

But if this is true .....

"What it won't do

It won't loose you 25lbs
    It won't fix your life"

..... I won't bother ;) but thanks for the comprehensive reply :)
  • robowen
    Options
    Very interesting reading that....and yes...I've calmed down now !! :o sorry.

You say the second treatment is the way to go.

This being a kit you take home.

You described it exactly as the instructions on my kit told me to do it...except we only have a 5 min wait and not the 45min wait in a surgery.

I think the ONLY cause for concern is not knowing exactly what the gel is..... :think:

I've only had 6 goes at it with the 'supposedly' 35% stuff...which equates to 270mins in a surgery as opposed to 30mins at home.

either :
    A - The stuff doesn't work :doh: , or
    B - I've not given it chance to work :think: .

rob
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    robowen wrote:

You say the second treatment is the way to go.

Just my opinion. There are others that swear by powerbleaching

robowen wrote:
    You described it exactly as the instructions on my kit told me to do it...except we only have a 5 min wait and not the 45min wait in a surgery.

That's cos your gums have no protection. If it really is 35% carbamine peroxide I wouldn't have it anywhere near my mouth for 5 seconds
    robowen wrote:
    I think the ONLY cause for concern is not knowing exactly what the gel is..... :think:

That's a BIG concern :eek:
    robowen wrote:
    either :
    A - The stuff doesn't work :doh: , or
    B - I've not given it chance to work :think: .

rob

Quit whilst you're ahead! And still have gums!!!
    robowen wrote:
    after all......the gell is £10 and the rest is for counselling....nice surgery....lights......equipment....carpets......r eceptionist.rob

When I open my 'Toothsavers' place under a railway arch, I'll send for you. :rolleyes:
    robowen wrote:
    I hope you are not too mad when you don't get a refund :mad: rob

I offer a full refund. I've never had to do it though. The trick is only selecting the ones that will work. That's where training and experience come in. That's what you pay for.

A joke for you Rob

A dentist calls a plumber on a Saturday afternoon as his drains are overflowing into his surgery. Plumber comes and after half an hour has the problem sorted. Presents grateful dentist with a £150 call out bill, £100 minimum labour and £25 parts. Dentist pays up but says "Do you realise that's an hourly rate of £550. I'm only on £150 per hour and I have all these overheads.
    Plumber replied, " I know, it was just the same when I was a dentist" :D:D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • robowen
    Options
    Great story Toothsmith :rotfl:

Always great to hear a story of someone bettering himself !!

and as for the labour charge.....most of that will be counselling.

We plumbers don't just take the money and run...after the mop up....we help the customer get over the disaster ! :D

rob
    robowen 5/6/2005©

• robowen
    Options
    Great story Toothsmith :rotfl:

Always great to hear a story of someone bettering himself !!

and as for the labour charge.....most of that will be counselling.

We plumbers don't just take the money and run...after the mop up....we help the customer get over the disaster ! :D

rob
    robowen 5/6/2005©

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am also laughing at Toothsmith's story and I am glad that you two have made up. I hope I can be forgiven for thanking Toothsmith for the earlier post which upset you, Rob!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote:
    What it won't do

It won't loose you 25lbs
    It won't fix your life

It won't get you a better job - not in most cases, but in others, if the boss sees a yellowy smile, he may be put off

It won't get you a prettier boyfriend/girlfriend - in this materialistic/looks world, I disagree

It won't loose you 25lbs - :rotfl:

It won't fix your life - but it would improve confidence and therefore improve life a bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure