Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

The Good News Thread... - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

The Good News Thread...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
582 replies 37.2K views

Replies

• Alleycat wrote:
    My good news is that my OH is going to quit smoking this weekend! I basically told him that we couldn't afford it anymore and so he finally agreed. That means we can reduce our spending each month and save £200 (he doesn't smoke that much a month, but its only fair we get the same allowance). Also, last week we cleared the Cap One credit card, so that is closed.

Hey that's great news! I love it when people agree to give up smoking...!

And well done on clearing a credit card :beer:
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • mintymoneysavermintymoneysaver Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My good news? I've nearly reached the £300 mark on e bay sales just in 6 weeks, but I can't think of much more to put on so that will have to do for now.
    I'm off to Centerparcs this weekend with people from work and it's already paid for, cash!
    I offered to get the shopping so I got £5 in my quidco account for ordering it!
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine for today is that my lovely mummy sent me a £20 gift card for Tesco, and also £25 for a Christmas pressie from my aunt that she returned for me and I had forgotten all about!

AND I got a lovely boob tube in the post today from a friend who said I could have it.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • nabowlanabowla Forumite
    567 posts
    Got two free tickets to go to see 'Whistle Down The Wind' next Monday :j A week ago I wouldn't have bothered trying to get them as it's not my first choice of musical but now I'm thinking 'if it's free, I'll take it'!

My friend's expecting us to go for supper beforehand - could be awkward as I'm not 'fessing up to my moneysaving just yet (don't think they'd understand). Have budgeted £10 per week for ents so it'll have to be my only night out next week. Now all I have to do is find somewhere 'acceptable' that does a cheap pre-theatre supper for £9.99 (my friend earns a lot more than I do and is a bit fussy about where she'll eat).
  • Another bit of good news today. Had capital one statements today and they haven't charged a balance transfer fee, so that is about £75 better off on the debt.
  • AlleycatAlleycat Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ooh, ooh, I got more good news!!!!

My OH got beaten up by a gang of thugs a couple of years ago and finally got his letter telling him if he had been awarded any compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority and guess what.........

......he got £1500!!!

I told him that he still needs to quit smoking and we would pay that towards our debts.

I am soo excited, can you tell?!

I will be posting tomorrow when I have got some time to ask a few questions about who to pay off. I just need to go through the paperwork, snowballing calculator and have a bit of a think. It would pretty much pay off the mint card but that is 0%. I need to check how much we can overpay the Nationwide loan and what the early repayment penalties are. Also now we have an extra £200 per month to add to our repayments that will have an impact on who to pay as well. Ooh, decisions, decisions!
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • Well my good news over this last year has been paying off all of my debts & saving quite a lot of money (as per my previous post) :beer: .

The bad news is that I'm now sorting out my tax liabilities with an accountant (typically, I set off half cocked & didn't inform the IR - £100 fine :confused: . Its a partnership with the wife - another £100 fine :o - the tax return for 2004/2005 is overdue (should have been in by Jan) - another £100 to £200 fine :mad: , & the tax I owe is around £12k :eek: (plus any additional penalties the IR decide to squeeze out of me :eek: :eek: )).

Then theres the accountants fees as well.

I think they call that 1 step forward & 2 steps back :rotfl:
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alleycat wrote:
    Ooh, ooh, I got more good news!!!!

My OH got beaten up by a gang of thugs a couple of years ago and finally got his letter telling him if he had been awarded any compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority and guess what.........

......he got £1500!!!

I told him that he still needs to quit smoking and we would pay that towards our debts.

I am soo excited, can you tell?!

I will be posting tomorrow when I have got some time to ask a few questions about who to pay off. I just need to go through the paperwork, snowballing calculator and have a bit of a think. It would pretty much pay off the mint card but that is 0%. I need to check how much we can overpay the Nationwide loan and what the early repayment penalties are. Also now we have an extra £200 per month to add to our repayments that will have an impact on who to pay as well. Ooh, decisions, decisions!

Oh that's brilliant!

Not that your OH was beaten up :rolleyes: but that's so much money!!!

Don;t use it on the 0% card. Which has the highest APR? Throw it at that!

So happy for you! :T
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • BatgirlBatgirl Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread really makes me smile and at last I now have something to add.
    1 I got a knock on the door yesterday and a nice man gave me a huge box which had a big hamper in it full of beauty products, honey amd a dvd. I had won a prize from cosmo and it was so exciting rummaging through the box looking at all my lovely free winings.

2 My husband found a fab deal on grabbit while you can and has bought a coulple of laptops to sell on and has made over £50 just from quidco.

3 Martin sent out his email saying it was time to switch gas and elec, and what martin says we do :money: . So 500 nector points, a bottle of champers and cheaper gas and elec are on their way to us.

4 I also managed to change my big pot of coppers into £2 coins which means that my £2 collection has gone up by £16 Yeah!

So a very successful day yest, lets just hope today has some good news in store for us, as so far the day has started really badly, but just writing this about yest has cheered me up a bit. :o
    May 2015 £10 a day currently £208
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :T Well done everyone there's some really great goodnews on here as Batgirl said it really makes you smile to read it all :D
    I had a lovely post today all freebies and coupons :j
    3 of those gillette razors for OH (plus got two yesterday I had sent to my mums)so that'll keep him going for a while even with his whiskers!
    Free samples of lenor,bodyform,vouchers for these too,catfood plus tons of vouchers from whiskas and felix..
    Its a good job hubbys a postie too so he can warn ours its all coming :rotfl: