The Good News Thread...

Comments

• kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Reya wrote:
    I just had to wade into the spare room to find something, and in the process of excavation I found three Sainsburys bags layered inside each other. Tried to move them and almost put my back out. Inside? £50 in pennies and twos, all bagged up! That was the product of about five years of throwing every odd 1p and 2p into a jar, but I never got around to banking them all. It's going to take me about ten trips to the bank now to be able to lug them all down there, as I don't have a car and will have to walk. But who cares; it's fifty quid! That's the Next catalogue down under £100 now!

Nice one!! Unexpected good things are the best!! And well done for putting it to the debt instead of spending :T :D
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Last week the TV broke down so we had to fork out for a new one(using cash of course!;) ) then this week the washing machine was playing up:mad:

Luckily OH is having a few days annual leave and managed to fix it for me so saving an expensive call-out fee!:j
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Read my post here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1773913#post1773913

Somehow my council tax payment has gone DOWN instead of UP this year - even though the total bill has gone up!!!!!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Got my free Dior lippy through the post this morning :T (only ordered yesterday!!) had intended to sell it on ebay but i quite like the colour so think i will keep it!!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    OOH had a good one today so far! No bills :D and just got back from Mr T's where I found a receipt in trolley for 74 points,saved a bundle on multisaves and price reductions then found a discontinued sign on the whiskas I buy so saved a bundle there (OH was not impressed by 34 packets of cat food in the trolley.. :whistle: )All my coupons went through too so thats another £6 off nearly and I'm still on target for my shopping challenge this month :D
    DS 2 has won an award for his maths too :T so proud mummy is off to see him collect it next week!
  • claire23
    claire23 Posts: 226 Forumite
    My good news -

I checked my electricity statement (pwr card meter) and was £33 in credit. A cheque is winging its way to me now....

(Although bad news - Gas DD has gone up by £17 per month)

Currently in the process of changing it all to Dual Fuel tho........ :D

Claire
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today was a good day as I didn't spend a penny :j

Also, new Council tax bill arrived and the increase is only £4 a month - very manageable and totally unexpected as it usually goes up by a lot more.

I still LOVE this thread :grinheart Keep the good news coming!
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • I got 3 big juicy rump steaks for under a fiver! One is so big that I will share it with OH. 2 good value meals in the making!

It's the little things that make the difference.....
    Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Some little things for me today but nice little things:

I got back tonight and opened my email to discover I had sold a cd via Amazon which I had forgotten about! With the postage credit I only got about £2.20 but it's still £2.20 off my bank accout overdraft and that makes me smile :D

Also I found two birthday cards for two people in my greeting card box when I thought I had run out of the appropriate type....so that's saved me a few pounds. :j

I had to send a few texts tonight but my credit it really low on my PAYG mobile...I remembered the free SMS at Excite so I used those instead of topping up which I just can't really afford until pay day.

And I resisted buying a few silly things in a cheap shop near me at work...I don't need them (but I liked them!) and I am so pleased I just walked away. A few more pounds left in the bank today. :D
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My good news is that my OH is going to quit smoking this weekend! I basically told him that we couldn't afford it anymore and so he finally agreed. That means we can reduce our spending each month and save £200 (he doesn't smoke that much a month, but its only fair we get the same allowance). Also, last week we cleared the Cap One credit card, so that is closed.

3 steaks for under a fiver?? Ooh, I'm salivating now, we just had beans on toast.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure