The Good News Thread...

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,642
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    mom23 wrote:
    My mum bless her has just given me 50.00 to "treat myself" .
    So the question is do i treat myself or treat my debt :think:

Why dont you go half and half?
    Then you can feel good x2 as you can treat yourself & also pay an amount of something as well.
    Sure you've already thought of this though!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    My good news is that I've been accepted for the HSBC 0% for 9 months card! :j

The bad news is that the credit limit is only £2,250 and I've got £4,400 on a 0% card that ends this month! :doh:
    Yay at least thats some of it on 0% :D
    We heard about our application today but not spoiling the good news with my result LOL...
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    First time ever posted - great thread.

Two bits of good news!!

One - New to mse - finally took my head out of the sand in January. Anyway checked my progress so far this morning - just by switching utilities and providers - over £1100 per year. Mortgage next.

Two - Managed to get a nice new well paid job - will use the money to clear my credit card debts. (Thanks to mse all now switched to 0%)

Big thanks to Martin, this site and all you lovely people who share your knowledge and experience to money saving novices like me.

Money Diet Book now my preferred bed time reading.

Zillions of thanks everyone and good luck.
  • shazzer22
    shazzer22 Posts: 502 Forumite
    Today feels good, although I spent a bit more than I wanted to I managed to get my £2 coin saver club off to a good start (£6! in one day!) and cancelled the PPI on boyfriends loan, meaning a cheque is on its way and his monthly repayments have dropped too!!! Alll thanks to this site! :T
  • vixxen
    vixxen Posts: 110 Forumite
    My boyf has decided to move in, which means I'll have extra cash comin in to clear the CC and OD, plus I get to watch all the football matches :rolleyes:
    Holiday Savings = £270.00
    Credit Card = -£903.41
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 400 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    Last Update 23rd October 2007
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    I found out I had £1.50 (woohooo!! :j :rotfl: ) in an ING account so I have moved that to my cheque account.

I got £17 for placing a £10 bet with PaddyPower (via QuidCo) so I am £7 up there.

So I *made* £8.50 today!

:beer:
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Peppa_Pig_5
    Peppa_Pig_5 Posts: 290 Forumite
    I wanted to share my good news with you. Today my DH got promoted at work, so he will be on quite a bit more basic every week, plus he will be asked to do more overtime. A much needed boost since I will be made redundant in August.
  • TurnaroundSue
    TurnaroundSue Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Hi All Good Newsers - My good news is that sold enough on e-bay to pay my car insurance in full in April, thereby saving an extra 12% or so on annual premium. And with the usual monthly amount of £50 which I will not now have to pay out, I am putting this into the 10% savings account I have just opened with Barclays. Yippee!!

Before becoming an MSE'er I would have continued paying the monthly ddr on car insurance and spending the e-bay monies on stuff I really didn't need or want!! So thank you to all you wonderful people who continued to inspire and motivate me. :beer:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Hooray! Another "little 'un" but for me every penny really does help.

I thought my Sainsburys VISA balance was >£50 but I just checked online and it is actually £48.57 because I had a little bit of a credit on there.

I think it's psychological when it is less than £50...and it's going to be paid off in full when I get paid at the end of the month! :D
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Reya
    Reya Posts: 190
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I just had to wade into the spare room to find something, and in the process of excavation I found three Sainsburys bags layered inside each other. Tried to move them and almost put my back out. Inside? £50 in pennies and twos, all bagged up! That was the product of about five years of throwing every odd 1p and 2p into a jar, but I never got around to banking them all. It's going to take me about ten trips to the bank now to be able to lug them all down there, as I don't have a car and will have to walk. But who cares; it's fifty quid! That's the Next catalogue down under £100 now!

emote-woot.gif
    I was cut out to be rich, but got sewn up wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure