PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

First Aid Kit - What's in yours?

Options
Smiley_Mum
Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 18 March 2014 at 12:44PM in Old style MoneySaving
Just wondered what everyone stored in their Home First Aid Kit. I just have a small one from Boots but given the number of bumps the kids have had last couple of weeks, looking to get a bigger one. Just wondered if anyone had extras in their First Aid Kit that weren't on the standard list which they find particularly useful. I did do a search but nothing came up. Thanks everyone.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I cheated and bought one from Tescos for £10, contains most dressings, plasters etc!!!!! Prob works out cheaper than buying all the items seperatly.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We don't have a kit, we just have a medicine cupboard. It contains loads of things, but mostly that's because my sister is on loads of tablets and keeps them in there.

I'd have cotton buds and safety pins in there though, definitely.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• gettingitsorted
    gettingitsorted Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    i have one from lidls its a mercedes one its got everything in it right down to saftey scissors, saftey pins,burns dressings,self adhesive dressings surgical tape etc but i did haft to add plasters,We also keep one in the car with calpol and bite spray in very useful on days out or holidays.
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One thing that I have is a gel filled "mr Bump". You keep him in the fridge, and he is superb when the kids bump their heads/knees/legs/arms...Its the same principle of an ice pack I guess - a child friendly one. Another favourite I keep in the fridge - although now that I am tying this I don't actually know why I keep it there :confused: - is Arnica cream, great for bruises.

There is a checklist somewhere on here showing what to keep in a first aid kit, I will have a look - I think it was Curry Queen or Queenie, although I may be wrong
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    honey28 wrote:
    One thing that I have is a gel filled "mr Bump". You keep him in the fridge, and he is superb when the kids bump their heads/knees/legs/arms...Its the same principle of an ice pack I guess - a child friendly one. Another favourite I keep in the fridge - although now that I am tying this I don't actually know why I keep it there :confused: - is Arnica cream, great for bruises.

There is a checklist somewhere on here showing what to keep in a first aid kit, I will have a look - I think it was Curry Queen or Queenie, although I may be wrong

Thanks for that. I'll have to get one as both my boys have had major bumps on their heads in the past few weeks. Little one today on way to nursery stumbled and cracked his head on the pavement, big goose egg on one side of his forehead. The on way back from School after picking up eldest he went to reach for my hand and fell flat as he didn't reach far enough and fell, poor kid has another big bump on the other side now. Poor soul was laid up on the sofa with a big bag of frozen brussel sprouts on his head wrapped in a towel as I had no icepacks or anything. He ended up falling asleep with the brussel sprouts on his head. I shouldn't laugh, he looked funny. I'll have to go and get an icepack, should be able to get one on points tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. :-)
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got Mr Bump with points in Boots. He was with the kids stuff, cotton wool etc, not with the first aid stuff.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    At home I have standard stuff. The one I have for Rainbows is supposed to have practically nothing in it, as far as I can see, in case they've got allergies/will sue me blah blah blah!! But the one in the car follows all dib dib dib be prepared type things I originally learnt in guiding... most have already been mentioned here - but I wouldn't be without waspeze, calpol (sachets - not very OS, but most practical), Tums, SPARE PANTS (I know, but there's a spare pair in my First Aid kit), 20p for the phone in case my mobile doesn't work, plastic bag and tape in case you need to keep a wound dry and/or airtight and/or need to carry something (or pick blackberries for that matter!), scissors, tweezers, antiseptic wipes AND baby/wet wipes, antiseptic cream and eyewash sachets. I inherited these and didn't think I'd ever use them - last week needed them for the first time after a kid I was looking after got something quite nasty in eye - so glad I had them. But you could go mad thinking of "what ifs"! Pants are useful, that's all I'm saying!
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steristrips and a brown paper bag are the xtras in mine
    I haven't got one!
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was thinking that mouth ulcer gel might be a good thing to keep in it too (for me) as the eldest one is getting his adult teeth and keeps mentioning his gums being sore. The £2 coin savings will be getting raided by the tooth fairy soon I think.

I was going to mention a paper bag too, Cheekymole beat me to it. Good for getting rid of hiccups/hyperventilation.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Calendula cream, arnica, little plastic sachets filled with sterile water. (great for rinsing out grit in eyes) lavender oil, tea tree oil and all the usual too, plus a bottle of childrens antiseptic spray
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family