Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

April 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 71

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 48K views
1656667686971»

Replies

• mr_and_mrs_tmr_and_mrs_t Forumite
    112 posts
    Hi all
    Well done you all for this month, unfortunately I went over budget this month and am declaring £278 for this month, a big £28 over budget. I must get used to trying to get under budget before reducing my monthly spend. See you all in May.
    All the best
    Mr and mrs t
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

I'm declaring £148.25 for the month, I was aiming for a superfrugal £100 but really I'm so busy these days that going that low is unrealistic :( will try to be more sensible for next month. Cheers for at least attempting to keep me on the straight and narrow..

• milliejomilliejo Forumite
    318 posts
    I am declaring at £275 against a budget of £310.
    Not quite sure how I managed it.
    Please put me down for £300 for May.
    This board really helps me to keep focused.
  • HollysanHollysan Forumite
    136 posts
    I am declaring at £336.31 for April. That's well below my budget of £450. I'm not sure how I did it either, but it's the first time for ages that we have been below target, so I'm really chuffed.

I think it might have been the fact that although we spent far too much in April, it was on other things, especially the holidays, and we were away for four days, so I had a week where I didn't buy much groceries, what with the bank holidays in April and being away. Spent lots of money on the dog and entertaining the kids though!

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
  • FrogletinaFrogletina Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Declaring at 147.24 for April. Wanted to set at 100 but as first month decided on 150 - was surprised I spent as much as this

How do people count meals out? I have been away for a few days and was staying with a friend so will have spent less on food at home but in return I felt it was only right to pay for her when we had a meal out
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13 SPC 11 #441 £1598.15 SPC 12 #63 £994.67
    SPC 13 #63
    £962.54
    SPC 14 #4
    :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Essex-girl_2Essex-girl_2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Am so late doing this lol.

Can I declare £356.64 for April, slightly over but not too bad.
  • Oh boy! I forgot to declare my finally amount for April
    I managed to keep it down to £297 -not brilliant but next month I want to save at least thirty pounds -we shall see ......
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • ZendZend Forumite
    166 posts
    Managed to save £20 this month, paid into Iceland trip fund. Mind, we did spend a fortune otherwise as on holiday for a week in b&b.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • Yikes, I deviated from my just-go-to-morrisons-daily plan, and let myself loose in Farmfoods BUT I did get enough food to last us for seven evening meals and spent £28.30 and I'm going to have a go at making a fish pie tomorrow and the frozen fish & prawns were cheaper at FF than Morrisons
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
  • jackieglasgowjackieglasgow Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kezlou wrote: »

Making some falafel burgers today, for tomorrow:-
    450g chickpeas
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    2 tsp ground cumin powder
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (i prefer fresh chillies but this if for the kids)
    1 handful of fresh Coriander chopped (optoinal)
    2 tbs of chickpea flour or plain flour (to hold mixture together)
    salt (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)

blend altogether and deep fry in very hot oil for 3 - 4mins till golden brown.
    you can keep them over night in the fridge just cover with a tea towel of kitchen roll

Just made these - kind of!! didn't have coriander powder so used curry powder, one medium onion, and mashed with a potato masher then pureed some of it and mixed it all up. Made falafel balls rather than burgers, and cooked one to check seasoning. Very very yum, so thanks, I love falafel, but they're so expensive, and hit and miss on flavour in the shops. Jackie
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi