April 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 51

New Post Advanced Search

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 47.9K views

Replies

• JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 posts
    Small top-up shop today. Hopefully that is it. But won’t declare yet, as there is still a couple of days to go & DD needs some more mouthwash, but she is a bit fussy about it, as she doesn’t like mint flavour (for toothpaste either, which is a bit of a pain). So I will pick that up if I see it.

Pay day on Thursday & have already started on the list for the main shop!
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    I caught the tail end of the news this morning about MrT's ma-hoo-siff profits :eek: Of course they'll say it's because people choose to shop there & will have $0d all to do with them being on every street corner--thus smothering the competition--or hiking up their prices by eye-watering amounts every time you walk thru the bluddin door :mad:

Likewise, there was a report last week about English fruit growers facing hard times from foreign imports, but tell me please....where CAN you buy home-gown produce :confused: Around here even our farm shop sells everything but, because I looked yesterday :( I'm hoping that it's maybe too early in the season, particularly as we like Granny Smiths, but fear I just live in the wrong part of the country.

I think MrS may be more likely to have south african fruit which I find very acceptable taste-wise & a great deal better than the french stuff that seems to be everywhere. [And now I sound like me muvva
    :doh:--she wants to know where her meat comes from & I've spent a life time telling her I don't talk with it first, I just eat it :laugh:] Like others have said before, if something doesn't appeal to your palette there's no point in buying it just to end up in the bin.

Oh WHY does Life have to be so difficult!!!!:o
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Taye wrote: »
    Hi there guys i know im too late for this challenge but im hoping to join in next month ... yay.

Now i'm pretty good with making food stretch and i don't really buy any branded goods but new's of impending redundancy his reached me and i need to PLAN!!!

Now i want to try and stick to my usual budget of £270 for the month, but in addition to feeding me and my family i want to see if i can make it stretch enough to get a little stock pile going too.

I've currently got a freezer full of food, but nothing to eat... typical right?? i'm going to do an inventory tonight see what the hell is keeping it so full... gotta be something edible right?

But how would you guys start to go about this?? any hints and tips?
    Hi Taye, first, sorry to hear about possible redundancy, very worrying for you.
    Now for some practical tips:
    First make a cuppa and -
    1.Get a notepad and pen and make a list of everything you have in your cupboards/ freezer.
    2.Then cast a critical eye over everythng and figure out what you can make a meal of with what youve got.
    3.Next jot down on a shopping list anything you need to add to concoct a recipe/meal. STICK to your shopping list like glue!
    4.Make a meal plan for the following week and then stick to it.
    5.Cook once - eat twice, ie think about meals that can be cooked in a big batch and freeze half, ie curries, chilli, bolognese, soup

Check in often to the site for recipes/ideas and support.

Remember we're all here to help and we're all trying our best to make what we've got go further!
    Hope this helps and have a great day! :D

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Made a mistake in my calculations yesterday.....have spent €260.70 of April budget, so have €39.50 to see me out....should do it....pleased that the mistake was calculating that I had spent more than I actually did, usually it is the other way round.

BigMumma....couldn't agree with you more about the availability of local produce...I know that if I want tomatoes at this time of the year they will be Dutch, but I get so mad when I see Kenyan beans in shops in high summer, when they will grow here no problem...the only thing I feel I can do is grow what I can myself and if I can't do it buy as near to home as possible and b**ch at shops to source more home grown stuff....no point probably as they are only interested in their profits, but gives me some satisfaction!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just updating my signature with bread & milk spends over the last week. I'm pleased with my progress this month, I have 2 more shopping trips to do before May starts which works out quite well. I'm looking to save a bit extra if I can as DD & DS1 birthdays are both in May :eek: and they want money - of course :rotfl:
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I am declaring at £135.93 as I get paid on Thursday and will only have to buy milk and bread which is included in the above total :D

Can you please put me down for £200 again in May?

Thanks!

*edit to add* Thanks to this challenge I have been able to pay off £65 from my credit card this month that I would otherwise not have done, so thank you!
  • So I'm completely lost with this month's challenge. Nipping off to the shop for some bits and pieces on numerous occassions probably means I'm over this month.
    It's been so hectic that I've had no time to plan meals and it's even been difficult to fit in a proper shop!
    Anyway hope to get all the numbers together to declare next week!
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    Just logging on to update my spends, I've gone over already and my Month doesn't finish until the 26th - I'm putting it down to the fact that the kids ate so much in the 2 week Easter Hols. I'm finding they are eating more now anyway as DD1 will be 13 in a few days and DD2 will be 11 in a few weeks and with prices rising all the time I don't seem to make things stretch so much now. Will have a think over the next few days but will probably need to increase Budget from now on.:confused:

Things should ease off a bit in the coming weeks when things start growing in the Garden, planted all my Spuds today so I know I'll be ok come Sept and the earlies that I planted should be ready end of May/June.:D Also got Tomatoes, chillies, beans, peas, courgettes, lettuces, spring onions, leeks, beetroot, rocket, etc etc growing from seed. Every little helps as they say!!

Dinner tonight will be a Chicken & Mushroom Risotto and a nice bowl of Salad, pudding is a HM Rhubarb & Orange Jelly from Sophie Grigson - here, about half way down the page.;)

I have finally caught up on all the pages, a Big Welcome to all the Newbies - you'll love it here. Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    921 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

Not managed to be on her for a while budget gone abit off track last few weeks my mum had an accident in spain so had to go out for an unexpected short break to help her home, so what with that and leaving money for DD and DS to buy groceries I am sure they included a takeaway in there somewhere! not too good will about £50 over as my new month starts on Fri and I have plenty to last till then apart from bread and milk which I will get later today so declaring myself £400 £50 over budget which is bad as I had only just upped total from £300 last month as I knew I would stuggle with half term and Easter.
    I promise to get back on track next months challenge and will be watching this thread like a hawk for inspiration

xx
    January grocery challenge £150
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

patentgirl - hope your Mum is okay?

Went to Mr M's and spent a bit on BBQ stuff/wine you know - all the essentials during this lovely weather!

Also spent a little in Sainsbugs today - don't often get to the town during the week now as the gardening work is really upping the pace. Only bought what we absolutely needed which luckily some was half price:

Napoletana fresh pasta sauce - 69p (great with spaghetti and meatballs)
    Fresh spaghetti - 64p (a treat)
    BGTY f/frais - 85p
    Diced bacon - £1.99

Carbonara for tea tonight. Pasta sauce in the freezer for as and when.

So have amended my May GC total and am hoping to stick to it this month, although I'm now making packed lunches x 3 each day for the children, so haven't a clue how much that will be. They love Frubes and Cheesestrings which are handy but SO expensive unless on offer.

Have a good evening all.
    Coxy

May GC - £420/£70.17
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24