Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

April 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 53

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 48K views

Replies

• SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a quickie to update my signature. Back from shopping and it came to £71.14 so I'm very pleased. Got about £8 in Tesco later today for lentils, juice, value bag of peppers & crisps.

Just one more shop for me next week in April now so the extra I've saved will go into the birthday fund!
  • Morning OS friends!hi.gif

Well I have failed miserably and still have 5 days to go and we have no fresh fruit or veg and no meat in the house so it's going to get worse! I knew I should have declared £350 and not £300 for my first month back in the saddle. :rotfl::rotfl:

However, I will not be dispirited and I am allowing myself a little leeway as I have included the odd takeaway in our budget which actually I normally pay for out of 'my' money and not the monthly food budget. Plus I did a big Tescos shop yesterday which came to nearly £75, but it was a lot of store cupboard stuff and baking ingredients that all seemed to have run out at the same time, so that will stand me in good stead for next month. We saved nearly £12 on special offers PLUS had our delivery charge refunded as they missed an item off which I needed for dinner last night so rang to complain. The lovely lady said that as I would have to go out and buy it now I shouldn't have to pay delivery!

I will aim slightly higher next month but do my best not to go over and then work my way back down again. After all - this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon!

I hope everyone is doing well with their personal shopping challenges this month.

hugs

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Am a page or so behind in my reading.

Just want to record that my spending for April seems to be in FREEFALL. I can't believe the state of affairs. I've lost count of the shopping but it's definitely going to be above my £400 (by how much is anyone's guess) but, more importantly, my non food spending has taken a battering. Am stunned at the depth of colour of my overdraft.

DH has been complaining that I'm too strict but look what happens when I go with the flow (for as much as I can go with the flow). I've watched it spiral whilst biting my tongue and not "spoil" Easter. Oh, I could GREET!
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick post, had a NSD yesterday, but spent money today.
    If all goes to plan as i was walking back form the vets popped into a local cash / carry for fruit and veg and guess what they do deliveries!!

So for £14.90 i got:-
    a 25kg bag of potatoes £5
    10kg (think so) onions £2.50
    box of cucumbers £4.90
    box of single colour peppers £2.50

and that's including free delivery:eek:, so hopefully its should arrive before 3pm today.
    The above should hopefully last all of May (she says confidently).
    Also bought a tray of eggs and a bag of plain flour from the corner shop. More expensive than the supermarket but thought if i went to sainsbugs i'd spend more money.

Having salad today with omelette for tea don't know what else were having for the rest of the week so will have a do a meal plan today as well.

I'll try and put some more recipes up later if i have time got one for lentil and bean loaf which is really nice, even the kids like it.
  • egonegon Forumite
    439 posts
    We are really struggeling to keep to the budget. Already, we are 40 pounds over! Not a good year. I have to review everything to see what we can do.
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    Bit late posting :o but my budget is £220 this month (£55/week) for food only. This is for 2 adults and a toddler.
    Spent so far: £154.35 :cool:

Last night's MrT delivery included: 6 Happy FR eggs £1, Linda Mccartney veggie sausages £1, 4x Princes tuna in water half price £2.69, Anchor spreadable 500g £1.12 ;)

1 week to go! Good luck everyone! :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've spent £69.43 this month so far, which you'd think I'd be really pleased about, but no! It means that my total for the year, so far, has now escalated to £532.27 when I should have only spent an average of about £370! Why is it becoming so impossible to do a £10 shop these days? Isn't it annoying that we used to joke about the price of cheese and say there's no point crying over spilt milk? It's no joke now, that's for sure. :eek:

I am going to try to limit myself to £15 per week from now - surely it's enough for basic essentials when the freezer and cupboards are pretty much full?
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Needed to get milk this am so got it at garage where I bought OH's paper.....only a litre though as it was €1.45...so will never even buy the paper there again!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another one here having a bit of a disaster this month - will probably end up at about £500 this month - but dh is away next month a fair bit and the kids are less picky so will try to do better then.

Am still going to do my packed lunch totals this month - have spent £4.53 for 6 lunches over the last 3 days - less than 1 day's cost of dinners

oh well onwards and upwards
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Very quick update - spent £2 in Iceland on their 50% extra free Ainsley Harriott couscous. That will make 6 packed lunches at 33p each - so not bad going. Budget amount outstanding now £10.29.

Ro
    When the going gets tough, the tough eat chocolate!

Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member No. 15