April 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 52

New Post Advanced Search

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 47.9K views

Replies

• searching_mesearching_me Forumite
    18.4K posts
    ive been naughty and im over not by much mind you but still annoyed with myself i belame it on special offers :o ... but im definately in for may Mrs M can you put me down for £200 my new month starts on saturday its my birthday next month and i go on maternity leave im trying to not spend too much as i would like a little treat for my birthday as i cant really go clubbing :rotfl: ... so i gotta keep telling myself ... be good be good for the love of god be good :rotfl: x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Hi folks,

Quick update. Current spend now stands at £62.71 for the month, following purchase of HiFi bars for weekend away (£1.35) and trip to Asda last night following weekend away (£20.70).

This leaves me with £12.29 to play with and one more shopping trip before the end of the month. This shouldn't be a problem as at the end of last month, when things were tight, I was managing with just over £5 a week to play with.

I won't declare until the end of the month (anything might happen!), but if Mrs M could put me down for £75 again for May, I would be grateful.

Hope all is well with all of you.

Ro
    When the going gets tough, the tough eat chocolate!

Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member No. 15
  • jess444_2jess444_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Hi,
    Have been to Lidl today in an attempt to splend less. Have spent a bit less than my usual shop at Mr T's but can't decide whether I have really saved or whether I will need to top up as they didn't have all the things I needed. Anyway hoping this will last me the week. My challange finishes on 9th May - so on track as long as I am careful.
    Jess
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 posts
    Declaring at £139.09 for April.

Made it under budget. Just. Again! Pay day is Thursday, but I really do not need anything else at all. Still thinking about next month’s budget, so will let you know when decided.
  • patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    920 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi,

patentgirl - hope your Mum is okay?

Went to Mr M's and spent a bit on BBQ stuff/wine you know - all the essentials during this lovely weather!

Coxy11 she has broken both her arms and badly bruised all over but home safely now thanks for asking
    January grocery challenge £150
  • Just popped in to update siggy. Was very, very naughty and opted for take-away tonight, but this is the first this month, so not too naughty really. Anyway, I will be cutting down further next month, as OH will be getting fewer hours, so I am determined to make a meal plan for the month and stick with it.

Most of my veg/salad seeds are doing well, so hoping this will help with my budget. Hope everyone is o.k, catch you all later.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • Julimk wrote: »
    Small top-up shop today. Hopefully that is it. But won’t declare yet, as there is still a couple of days to go & DD needs some more mouthwash, but she is a bit fussy about it, as she doesn’t like mint flavour (for toothpaste either, which is a bit of a pain). So I will pick that up if I see it.

Pay day on Thursday & have already started on the list for the main shop!

Ah I don't like mint toothpaste either-not because of the flavour though but the sweetness normally makes me sick literally.
    Colgate do a herbal one which is much nicer. Quite a few mouthwash products which are not mint-one which is cloves is nice-cant think which brand but its the one in 2 colours that you shake up to mix it! Im sure you know the one.
    Not posted for a couple of weeks as Ive just been too busy generally but Im still watching my money carefully and will update later tonight all being well.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just updated the recipe list, and they sound good!:cool:

Welcome Newbies! You're in the best place for help and encouragement ;)

Congrats to those still in budget, and commiserations to those who aren't - don't despair, we'll soon have the shiny new month of May!

I don't know exactly where I am re budget at the moment, I've got visitors so not had chance to check but I'm quietly confident! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • I'm very very pleased with how well this month has gone. The only fly in the ointment has been buying a huge bag of dried food for the piggies (nearly £10!) but this should last them at least 3 months so I'm looking at it as an investment. As it stands today, I have spent £38.66 on the grocery challenge, and have £21.34 left to play with, the only things I need are some lettuce and lots of fruit, and some more antibacterial spray for the piggie's cage (I don't trust stardrops enough to use that).

I've realised I'm moving back to my parents in about 8 weeks (my lease is up in my student accomodation and until I have my real-world job, it's pointless signing a lease when I may be working elsewhere in the world), so I should probably scale down my mad stockpile efforts. I think I have enough pasta to see me through (...the next few years...), and enough loo roll, cans of stuff, herbs etc. I don't foresee the need for any more "huge" shops, my main expense now will be fruit and vegetables, milk and bread - and smoothies from Zumo, which I have a newfound love for. (I've given up alcohol, so a smoothie a week is my treat!)

Hope everyone's challenges are going well, I'm off to update the sig :)
  • Just been to asda, if anyone is interested they had 50% off a lot of fish on their fresh fish counter - mostly smoked ones. I got kippers for hubby and smoked haddock and smoked cod.

Will update my totals in a bit.

Why is cheese so expensive, i spent £7 on cheese today:eek: I am making enchiladas today though and need a fair bit of cheese for them. Numnum.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell