The Sun £20 Holidays. Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Lilburn
    Lilburn Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Please note, the extras are not compulsory, although the caravan parks would have you beleive they are. Post a cheque for the service charge only, not the total balance given. This option does not appear to be available on the payments web-page. I have written to Trading Standards and BBC Watchdog asking them to look at this whole affair and judge if it is classed as miss-selling. I would ask others to do the same.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lilburn wrote: »
    Please note, the extras are not compulsory, although the caravan parks would have you beleive they are. Post a cheque for the service charge only, not the total balance given. This option does not appear to be available on the payments web-page. I have written to Trading Standards and BBC Watchdog asking them to look at this whole affair and judge if it is classed as miss-selling. I would ask others to do the same.

? the extras are payable to the park directly anyway ,not the SUN ???

and I'm sure most people know ( even if only from reading this site) that you don't have to take their linen / entertainments passes etc
  • Lilburn
    Lilburn Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Sorry Rachie B you may have misunderstood. Although my post is titled Sun Holidays, I do say that it is the parks that are trying to convince people that these payments are compulsory. Let me tell you this years experience. 21st April money taken out of account for the initial caravan payment. 26th April request for payment from park arrives, two days later, a final demand arrives from the park stating that payment is overdue, must be paid within seven days or holiday will be cancelled without refund. (a total of five working days given) On the Park's payment web page there is no facility to remove the extras. The park have accepted this and tell me that they will alter this. But on the request for payment and on the final demand
    the amount due is given as £58.80 and not the actual £26 due. I have asked Trading Standards to take a look, because I am only dealing with one park company, and also it's a unfortunate that not everybody reads Martin's Money Tips. :) Cheers.
  • mm123
    mm123 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Is this deal still avaliable if so how do i go about booking one do i need codes? We are off on Friday to Eyemouth with the Daily Mail 4 of us for a long weekend for £67 weve not paid for the linen etc.Is a good deal
  • Gandalfthegrey
    Options
    I have been on about 5 of these holidays all with different parks around Cornwall and we have always had a good time.
    So just for anybody reading this thread who is now put off going, dont be, cause they can be very good, our 3 year old loves going, and we hope to go on one every year.
    We've always chosen caravans over chalets (I dont like the thought of staying in a boring concrete box anyway) They have always been clean.
    As soon as I get the email from the park asking for remainder of the balance I always call them up to pay rather than over the internet and I always ask for the linen to be taken off. (they still provide quilts and pillows, so you just need to take your quilt/pillow covers and sheets.
    We never go in the school holidays, (which is ok for now as our kids arent school age yet) We always try to get June/July. Also on the way down there we stop at a supermarket to buy breakfast food, packed lunches etc and we take washing up liquid, towels, cloths etc from home to save money.
    As long as you research all the parks on trip advisor before sending off your form, and get the extra charges taken off and selfcater they work out good value and we always have a nice time.
    Parks that I recommend are:
    Riviere Sands in Hayle, (our favourite caravan park, and right on the beach)
    Looe Bay Holiday Park (parkdean)
    Sea Acres (parkdean I think)
    Mullion (another Parkdean) and no I dont work for Parkdean! we just always seem to end up with them.
  • Gandalfthegrey
    Options
    We are thinking of going on a sun holiday european break next year. Do they also do these holidays in the summer for £15 per person? (instead of £9.50 for spring/autumn)
    Also I like the look of a couple parks in Venice, Italy, what would be the cheapest way to get there? Ferry? Plane? drive? (we have 2 young children so if we drove we'd need to break the journey up)
    Does anyone have any advice and recommendations

• Rachie_B
    Options
    We are thinking of going on a sun holiday european break next year. Do they also do these holidays in the summer for £15 per person? (instead of £9.50 for spring/autumn)
    Also I like the look of a couple parks in Venice, Italy, what would be the cheapest way to get there? Ferry? Plane? drive? (we have 2 young children so if we drove we'd need to break the journey up)
    Does anyone have any advice and recommendations

yes ( but not summer holidays )
    by the time you add fuel,tolls,overnight hotels etc it may be cheaper to fly

but then you have the restrictions on baggage weight ( although saying that we did Mon - Fri in Lake Garda,flying and that was with taking sleeping bags and sheets ,towels etc too !)
  • Gandalfthegrey
    Options
    Oh sorry I didnt realise they only do europe in spring/autumn. Thats a shame. Is it still hot in Brittany in May or Sept? (as Brittany was my second choice area)
    Thanks
  • Rachie_B
    Options
    Oh sorry I didnt realise they only do europe in spring/autumn. Thats a shame. Is it still hot in Brittany in May or Sept? (as Brittany was my second choice area)
    Thanks
    no you misunderstood me ,they offer May,June,Sept etc but not SCHOOL summer holidays ie end July & Aug

sorry !

we went to Brittany end may this yr ( half term) and it was pretty hot ( after drizzly rain on the first morning) was shorts and t shirt weather,really sunny
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    They offer the first 3 weeks of July just in case your holidays are any different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure