We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Egg fried cauli rice.

Grate a raw cauliflower, I do it in the food processor as I am lazy:D

Heat a pan very hot, stirfry heat with a knob of butter. Pour in 2 beaten eggs and stir round for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower rice and stir for 5 minutes. Do not over cook as it will then not have the texture of rice. It is a great rice substitute. Works perfect in kedgeree recipes.

thank you. that sounds easy enough for me to do! :D With regards to hubby. i have to buy carby stuff for the kids plus unless i am with him all the time he will cheat. so if i spend money getting the low carb bread ingredients and all the other stuff i bought before i do not want him nipping off to the chippy when he is at work! so i need him to come round to my way of thinking himself. he also needs to exercise more but he wont do that either! :mad:
  • smeeinnit
    Options
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    hiya

debtmonkey - thats similar to my hubby. he is 36 and when we met nearly 13 years ago he was 28 inch waste. he is now 19 stone. but refuses to lc. he did years ago and lost 1 stone in the first week but couldnt keep going. he is now 'healthy eating' but the sweets he was eating last night certainly were not healthy!

Nuttybabe my OH struggles with low carb, he can't seem to go as hard core as me...thinks it "bungs" him up IYKWIM....what seems to be working for him (and me) is gradually reducing carbs, if he wants something naughty like chips or a few roasties on a Sunday, have a few so he doesnt feel deprived. He is now even happy to have salad with lunches (and the occasional kebab :D) and has lost a stone, slowly, but without too much pain/feelings of deprivation.

Very informative post Debtmonkey thank you!

Menu today:

B - low carb granola & extra linseed with cream
    L - Ham salad with garlic & herb mayo
    D - linseed breaded pork with broc & mushies, LC raspberry fool for dessert

Menu tomorrow:

B - same as today
    L - same as today
    D - beef casserole
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got any tips on the ming ketosis mouth? Its making me feel quite sick, I can taste it in my mouth and smell it as I exhale
  • smeeinnit
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    Took a dulcolax last night and it had the desired effect first thing this morning. Thank goodness!! (Sorry if that's TMI :o). To celebrate I'm having 2 of those little cans of ready mixed G&T (slimline of course).

I went into town earlier on the train, its about 15 miles from home to any sort of proper shopping facilities and I don't drive, and was browsing the shops and only came home with some socks and a couple of cheap t-shirts for work, I was picking up nice things then putting them down thinking "it'll be hanging off me by Easter". Its a good feeling :D

Despite not seeming to have lost lbs I must have lost inches as my jeans are certainly looser and more comfy. They had been digging in since my December pig-out.

B: 2 cold sausages dipped in mayo
    L: 2 celery sticks and heaps of Philly, 45g lump of Gouda
    D: Smoked Haddock Rarebit (ready meal from Asda, about 10g carbs in total) and buttery cabbage. Very nice.
    Loads of water and 4 cups decaff coffee with cream.

I'm finding that I miss having a cup of tea. I don't like cream in my tea, and I can't take to soya milk. Anyone got any other suggestions?

What plan if any are you following Sofababe? I switched to Dr D after starting on Atkins as you are allowed milk - I use full fat milk in tea but prefer cream in coffee.
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »

I'm finding that I miss having a cup of tea. I don't like cream in my tea, and I can't take to soya milk. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Lactofree.. milk with the sugar removed :)
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    Lactofree.. milk with the sugar removed :)

I was just about to mention that on your behalf Mazzers. Glad you showed up :D

Yesterday went well. Soooooooooo nearly had a little naughty slip last night. Got some reduced cakes for the boys, two of which were large Bakewell tarts.. I asked for a 'sniff' whilst they were eating them..... Oh my... mmmmmmMMMMmm.. Anyway, found myself alone in the kitchen last night wondering what to have.. Finally got out an Atkins bar thinking that was the best option.. then put it back and went to bed! :T

I tell you what I think did the trick: the thought of having to post here that I'd slipped! So noting it here does help :)

B: 2 frankies, reduced sugar/salt ketchup. Also, a hard-boiled egg
    L: Usual prawny cocktail. Also, a few cubes of cheese and about 3 Brazil nuts
    T: Stir fry turkey, green beans, bean sprouts, chilli, seasoning.

O: About 5 cups of decaf Tea today!, 1 cup coffee, 4-5 pints of water. 3 squares of 85% cocoa choccie. Yum.

I keep losing count of how much water I drink so might fill up a litre bottle, or bigger if I can find one. Will aim for 2-3 L.

Exercise: 20 mins. Zumba (wii), hour Callanetics, ~15 mins. Yoga.

All sofababe's talking about 'going' has made me realise.. don't think I've been for a day or two... :eek: Quick... where's me senna...............

Have a great day peeps.
  • Birdie85
    Birdie85 Posts: 9,330 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys :)

I probably do need to eat more fat, it's just difficult to squeeze it in all the time!

Thanks for the tip about Lactofree too, I don't really like cream in my coffee so have just stopped drinking it (and I love coffee so much!), I shall be getting some and treating myself to a cup in the morning! :)
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    A quickie (oo er missus!)....down 0.2 kg again....87.2. Ketosis....the strength of it must vary a lot between individuals??? I drink 8 pints water a day & it's still mega purple....G/F (who incedently does not share my few voddies at the end of a shift bad habit!)who drinks a lot of water too is only stage 2/3 pink (she's lost 0.3 kg this am). Maybe this accounts for the fact I can 'get away' with my few voddies??

Gonna order some vital wheat gluten today & buy an electric carving knife-if i can perfect the bread (& I've found some pretty damn good recipes) in my breadmaker I'll probably make 2/3 loves-slice 2 & freeze. Also gonna browse lowcarb store & see if any cereal type of thing on there.

Yesterday-had 100gm full fat yoghurt-120gm frozen berries+1tsp slenda. 10 carbs in one sitting. Admittidly after bacon & eggs (!). So I'm 'quite' resistant i think.

Also going to ring Irwinsbread to see if they can tell me of ANY stockists in west yorkshire!

Have a good day all!

P.S. Keto breath. Only really noticed taste in mouth, etc 1st 2 wks???? Also as there's a lot of talk of 'number 2's' (!)-I've had no issue-think the flax bread helps. i also eat things like sprouts, broccolli daily.
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you just get accustumed to the stench breath? :rotfl: Im hoping it eventually goes away!

Noticed I'd gained a bit this morning, probably due to my time of the month making its appearence yesterday, and I know I didnt have nearly enough water yesterday, as I woke up with a rough head this morning (no vodkas! Lol)

Will probs allow myself a few vodkas tonight with a packed of salty peanuts.

B - Tuna mayo, baby gem lettuce, half a tomato.
    L - Was going to have the leftover sausages from yesterday, but they are "haggis" and pork, and no carbs listed, so I'm going to work under the impression that they are oat-tastic.....Will probably have same as breakfast (as I like it! :D)
    D - Beef stroganoff - Do have a cauliflower to use for "rice" but I had cauliflower 2 days running and its giving me the heebies thinking about smelling/eating it, will perhaps use a broccoli & carrot, instead and make some sort of mashed up multicoloured mess :D
  • murphydog999
    Options
    Be careful with salty stuff, it wont help your water balance at all (or your blood pressure!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport