We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• zerodashzero
    zerodashzero Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Another Pesto Chicken

Ingredients (1 portion) –
    1 skinless chicken breast
    Couple of teaspoons of Pesto
    Handful of grated mozzarella

Method –

Put the chicken breast between 2 large sheets of cling film (or in a large food bag) & bash until flattened.

Carefully peel the flattened breast onto a sheet of tin foil & squidge together any holes that have developed.

Whack it under a high grill. Keep an eye on the chicken – it cooks really quickly and may start to burn around the edges if left unattended. Cook on both sides.

When the chicken is cooked, spoon on the pesto & spread over. Put it back under the grill for a few seconds to warm through.

Add the mozzarella thickly to the chicken making sure to completely cover it. Sprinkle with dried herbs.

Grill until melted, bubbly and browned.

Done! Peel away from the tin foil, and serve with your choice of veg (making sure to pour the lovely green pesto oils from the foil over the veg)!

Carb count? Minimal…
  • zerodashzero
    zerodashzero Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Crustless quiche the zerodashzero way (original recipe from the Atkins book)

You’ll need a 10” / 20cm dish that’s approx 5/6 cm deep (I use a pyrex one) and a big bowl to mix the ingredients.

Ingredients –
    6 eggs
    300ml (medium tub) of whipping cream
    250g bag of grated mozzarella
    Chopped onion (4/5 small/medium or 1+ish large – approx 300g / 350g)
    Piggy* - Chunks of ham / gammon / bacon.
    Parmesan (or similar)
    Butter for greasing dish

*Note about the piggy - Leftover roast ham / gammon is ideal but I buy the cheapie packs of cooking bacon & cut off all the fat. I usually cook on a medium heat under the grill so they remain moist (it will be cooked again in the quiche). I’ve found that the cheapie packs of cooking bacon (the leftover scraps that they’ve started selling in the supermarkets) is the best option, but takes a little work to cut off all the fat (you just need the meat in the quiche). There’s usually quite thick chunks in them (sometimes worth cutting in half). I recently hit the jackpot by finding packs with 6/8 medallions in them that were 2cm thick – perfect for this recipe! Smoked adds more flavour to the dish.

Method –

Cook the piggy (ham / gammon / bacon).
    Cool the piggy & cut the meat into small chunks (scissors do a great job)
    Break the 6 eggs into a large bowl & whisk together.
    Add the tub of cream & whisk together
    Add the bag of mozzarella
    Chop the onion & add to the mix
    Add the chunks of meat
    Stir it all together. It should be a thick consistency.
    Grease the dish with butter & add the mix to the dish.
    Run the back of a spoon over the mix to push down any bits poking through.
    Slice or grate some parmesan (or similar) & sprinkle over the top.
    Cover the dish with foil – it will rise in the oven & stick to the foil so try to loosely “tent” it so you don’t lose all the parmesan!
    Pop in the oven. I use a fan oven at 180c for 1 hour then carefully remove the foil and cook again for 5-15 minutes so that the top can brown.

Ta-dah!

Remove from the oven and let it cool.

WARNING!!! It’s like molten lava for at least 10 minutes! And don’t try to remove the whole thing from the dish until it’s totally cold or you’ll just end up with a pile of scrambled egg. (Both of these points are from my own disastrous personal experience :mad:)

If you cut into it straight out of the oven you’ll find it difficult to get a slice to remain intact but it is delicious hot (don’t burn yourself though!).

A couple of hours later & it will have firmed up a bit and it is equally delicious warm (yes, it will still be warm!).

Pop the leftovers into the fridge & it’s great for a ready made snack (perfect for breakfast or a lunchbox) and seems much more filling than when it was hot. I’ve not tried re-heating as I don’t have a microwave.

I love this recipe and considering I don’t really like eggs (and can only occasionally eat very dry scrambled eggs), it’s a triumph! :beer:

Carbs – 35.5g. (depending on portion size this would be 5.91g for 1/6th or 4.43g for 1/8th)
    6 eggs = 3.6g
    Medium tub of whipping cream = 9g
    Bag of grated mozzarella = 2.25g
    350g chopped onion = 20.65g
    Chunks of ham / gammon / bacon = 0
    Parmesan (or similar) = 0
    Butter for greasing dish = 0
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Sent them a lovely email saying how dissapointed I was with their product and how I'm scared to use it again so I'm now £8 pound out of pocket for the vest and £7 out of pocket for the useless big tub of vanish I have (that's a lie because I will use it on the whites :p) I'll have a big jumbo cheque please - more like a big fat coupon off for more vanish!

So what's everyone having for dinner? I don't have a clue and have taken nothing out :) Takeaway? ..... don't fret, I won't but only because I had to go and buy OH's Rockness ticket, goodbye £156.40! Honestly, he only gets paid once more before the festival and he has given me a list of what he needs, so that'll be another £300, I'll just sell his ps3 to make up the rent money shall I? Men! Hate when the bank account goes dangerously low, makes me scared.

I get scared when money is low too.
    Was terrified when my partner first went and i got 3 jobs, cos
    i was scared of losing my home,
    I then developed phlebitis in my leg (just what i needed.)

Been scared for years, had lots of sleepless nights,
    but it all worked out in the end.

All that stress for nothing icon9.gif

Dinner will be smoked haddock cos my youngest snook to Mcd's so he's had his.
    Yay.. i love this independence.
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes zero, i fancy the chicken pesto one cos i've got pesto and i've never bought it before.

Will give that a whirl tomorrow.
  • Theonly'Gaye'inthevillage
    Options
    Mazzers,
    have you really never bought pesto before? How have you managed without it?
    Vegetarian. Have cut out all high carb food. Not following any particular plan.Started 20/1/2009. Weight lost so far 29lbs. Target weight loss 38lb in total.
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to post my menu for today

B - 2 HM salmon fishcakes & mayo
    L - pork escalope & buttery scrambled egg
    D - 1/4 pounder burger & mazzers' roasted red pepper
    Pud - raspberry & blueberry crumble & double cream

Yep, I made the crumble & it was lovely!! The crumble bit needs some work but it was good for a first attempt!! Got half left so I'll have that cold tomorrow :D Used fresh rasps/blues because they were on offer in the Co-op!! ;)

alias, good to see you back!! Completely agree with mazzers, you don't have to be doing low-carb to contribute to the thread, just don't post your menus, eh!! :rotfl:

zero, your menus sound lovely!! Thanks for posting, hopefully Mercy will add them to her recipe page, if she hasn't already!! Nice Mercy!! :D

I've got pesto that needs using up (just discovered that it only keeps for 3 days :rolleyes:) so I'll attempt 'Another Pesto Chicken' tomorrow as well :D

Button, I thought that 'Pringles' thing was your sig!! Did wonder why you would have that though!! :doh:

Gaye, get well soon!! Poor you. You should treat yourself to a nice hot bubble bath & a warmed brandy/lemonade toddy, that should perk you up!!

mazzers, I'm staying in, as usual :rolleyes:, but might join you in a glass of the red stuff!! cheers.gif
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Mazzers,
    have you really never bought pesto before? How have you managed without it?

Excuse me for butting in here, lol!!

Tbh, I always associated pesto with pasta until fairly recently, didn't know you could add it to other dishes. Had a sheltered upbringing, me!! :rolleyes:
    Options
    Sweet, thank you for your kind words of sympathy. Much needed right now! Would have a nice long soak if I had a bath! :) 2 shower rooms, no bath. Will be installing one eventually but heaven knows when!
    Vegetarian. Have cut out all high carb food. Not following any particular plan.Started 20/1/2009. Weight lost so far 29lbs. Target weight loss 38lb in total.
    Options
    I have however just made cauliflower cheese, poured myself a V & T and queued up a thriller on playback.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Oops, sorry mazzers, forgot to say thanks for the Magic Bullet info. I'll have a look at ebay. Ta muchly!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport