Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    focus888 wrote: »
    Good morning low carbers :)

You guys are all so creative in the kitchens, no wonder you are doing so well with your diets.

I confess im a scale addict :o so from yesterday to today ive put on 3lbs out of the 4lbs ive loss which is such a bummer. What normally would be a excuse for me to break my diet is going to be the thing that pushes me hard to eat right. I think ive been eating way too much protein and not enough veg. just meat fills me up so much more lol. anyway enough of my rant. Been walking alot more but its still not enough exercise, just want to get my head around the diet first before adding physical stuff into my lifestyle.

Honestly, the 'jam' i made for my cheesecake topping was lush.
    Threw some chopped strawbs into a pan, added dribble of water, simmered until soft and mushy and added splenda to taste.

You have to step away from the scales.. they lie..

You haven't put on 3lbs of fat overnight, its fluid, probably lurking in the fat cells that have less, or no fat in them now.
    It happened to me.
    I was losing inches but not weight.
    My clothes were much looser but the scale wasnt moving.. the little liar.

I have now quarrelled with my scales and refuse to bother with it.. much.

I will have the last laugh, when it eventually has to accept defeat and admit that i'm 10st 10lb, :D

Hah..
  • zerodashzero
    zerodashzero Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Hi fellow low-carbers! I’m a long-time lurker & have decided I need to ‘fess-up & join you lot for a bit of support, although it takes me so long to read all your natter that I may not have time to post much myself.

I thought I was doing OK, managed to get my weight to a “reasonable level” but had the shock of my life on a shopping trip this week – mirrors that showed me exactly what I looked like from behind… OH MY GOSH. When did back fat happen? And all those craters & dimples that cover my bum?! They’re so severe that they show through the clothes! Noooooooooooo!

I’ve had successes in the past with Atkins (and totally believe it’s the way we should all eat), but this time round I’ve been a bit lazy with it (including the exercise) and have a habit of self-sabotaging when things are going well. I also had similar difficulties as most of you for the last few months – just couldn’t get in the right frame of mind.

I’m currently fluctuating between 11st & 11.5st (11st is my self-sabotage point apparently) but at the start of 2008 I was at my very worst of 13st 7. Saying that, I’m going to go & get some of those electronic scales from Argos (thanks for the tip Mercy) so I could be way off…

I’ve got a few recipes to share, so I’ll be back later with those (and the results from the new scales :eek:)
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm, just had 2 salmon fishcakes with mayo for brekkie, very nice, will definitely make again. :D

mazzers, I'm definitely craving something sweet today!! I'm going to try the crumble today. But there again your strawberry tart sounds so good too!! Ooooooooh, decisions, decisions!! :confused:

Hiya Badger :wave: Sounds like you are doing great on your new WOE - must admit the food sounds scrummy!! Good luck with working in Paris btw, hope you get the chance to do it, would be a great experience methinks.

marrow, I got 5 big peppers from Netto for £1.29 yesterday, 3 red & 2 yellow. It was their 'value' bag but there's absolutely nothing wrong with them & they are bigger than their 'normal' range too!! Result!!

Welcome zero :wave: Yes, we do natter quite a bit, but it's all interesting & informative stuff :rolleyes::rotfl: Btw, if you have a habit of self-sabotage, you will fit right in here!! :o Hopefully we will talk/natter ourselves out of it next time though, lol!!

Good to hear you have recipes!! Please do share them with us, the more the merrier!! :D
  • mazzers
    Options
    Welcome to zero :beer: <<<<< put that down its not LC, tis only for show.

My bread is rising-ish, not much as of yet tho.
    Was easy if messy to make. Had some reduced, huge blackberries that i have simmered with spenda waiting to go on it.
    It cant be touched for 15mins when its out of th'oven tho, gotta let the steam escape :rolleyes:
    I'm not fussy, i'll eat the steam ;)

Will post back in bout half hour.
    Will prob be a brick, apparently that might happen icon9.gif
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Oooooh, keeping my fingers crossed for your bread, mazzers!!

Hope it works out & then you can have your favourite toast & butter for your brekkie :D

Moi, jealous?! :rolleyes:
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    I'm not fussy, i'll eat the steam ;)

Lol!! :rotfl:

I'm off to the Co-op now for strawberries, frozen raspberries & more ground almonds, I need more if I'm going to be making crumble and strawberry tarts!! Yum, yum!!
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    Honestly, the 'jam' i made for my cheesecake topping was lush.
    Threw some chopped strawbs into a pan, added dribble of water, simmered until soft and mushy and added splenda to taste.

You have to step away from the scales.. they lie..

You haven't put on 3lbs of fat overnight, its fluid, probably lurking in the fat cells that have less, or no fat in them now.
    It happened to me.
    I was losing inches but not weight.
    My clothes were much looser but the scale wasnt moving.. the little liar.

I have now quarrelled with my scales and refuse to bother with it.. much.

I will have the last laugh, when it eventually has to accept defeat and admit that i'm 10st 10lb, :D

Hah..

That does sound lovely and easy enough for me to do :D Im not ready for the almond tart crust yet but i could make that jam and swirl it into some cream cheese ;) does anyone else find their cream cheese goes off quite quickly? i always buy it but end up eating once and then next time i get to it its gone all mouldy :silenced:

Thanks for your kind words, i know i shouldnt let the scales rule over me but i cant help myself sometimes :o when you want them to jump down they just do the exact opposite. i think im gonna be really good and take my scales and give them to my mum to hide. That way cant jump on them all the time and cant let them ruin my diet. It really affects me, if im down i want to stay good if im up i want to be bad because whats the point :confused: anyway i need to get this into my head its for life and not for a few months or just a year even. Now how am i gonna to do that i dont know :rotfl:

Welcome zero :) i dont natter alot but i love reading all your posts we can join in slowly together ;)
  • mazzers
    Options
    Not very clear, but OMG is like real bread. 55-60g for whole loaf.
    Had a cheese sarnie and a small piece with my 'jam' on.

004-1.jpg?t=1242301505
  • Treen
    Treen Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    Morning!

Hope you are all well and happy :j

I got the new scales and the sad fact is that I weigh 11st 11lbs. Starting a more intense exercise regime later, may involve sweating :eek: I am also looking into portion control and generally eating a bit less and doing more than sitting down reading for hours every day :rotfl:

Have a few things to shift so will be ebaying again. Get some spends in paypal. Keep me out the fridge / off the couch :rotfl:

Do those fat/muscle/water scales really represent reality? Made a note of my initial 'scores' and hope to see some change over time. Quite MSE as they were half price in Argos £12ish.

will stick with the keto cocktail and low carb, I know it's the way to go.

See you later

Mx

I hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread but I bought the same scales as you. I'm 5ft 4 and weigh 8st 13 but according to those scales I am 39% fat and underneath the numbers it says in big bold letters OVERFAT - I must admit to being a bit disappointed about that but now have decided that I may as well do something about it, thing is do I diet away the fat or what?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Treen

ps what is a keto cocktail?
    The most important things in life aren't 'things'
  • mazzers
    edited 14 May 2009 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Is so bread-like, i will have to hide from middle son.
    Maybe now i can start buying him his granary again.

Girls, you have got to make this if bread is your thing.

I didnt have a lot of almond flour so i blitzed mixed unsalted nuts in my magic bullet (best gadget i ever bought) and used that.
    Also had no oat flour, so blitzed oats to make some.
    Will be experimenting as it didnt rise hugely, and there are lots of tips.

Dont know if i can control myself tho :o

Whole loaf weighs 600g and is 60g carbs.. so each gram of weight is 0.1g carbs.
    So.. 1 thick slice weighs 60g making it 6g carbs per slice.
    I think thats right.
    Was never very good with figures tho.

Woo hoo, this will be a regular. Wonder :confused: if it freezes well

The link for anyone who is gonna make it.
    http://www.low-carb.org.uk/gabis.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport