We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• onewingedangel
    Options
    hi all. ive been lurking about on here the past few weeks, having not known what to say!!
    I have been on atkins for about a month which is a miracle for me, as normallyi dont last a week on a diet.lol i must say though, i find it relatively easy to stick to ( well apart from the temptation of chocolate. must fight the urge.lol)
    I've read a few posts on here about the benefits of coconut oil, and got mine today, so i'm dying to try it!!
    How much do u guys usually pay for it? Mine was about 9.99, which I thought was a little steep.
    xx
    I love my boys! William born 08/01/08 and andrew born 22/2/09.
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Belly is okay, looks like a giant strawberry birthmark though, I slapped some calamine lotion on it, stopped the burning.

Just had a nice prawn curry for tea, with cauliflower and broccoli mashed with double cream. I can't seem to get out of the mindset of counting calories though, I almost didn't add double cream because it's 455calories per 100ml. Was delicious though.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi onewing!

Glad to meetya!

With coconut oil I've found coconoil to be cheapest for the tasty virgin stuff. I got some of Holland and Barretts when it was on sale, that's good to. £9.99 was for a pound? Think coconoil is £9 for similar amounts delivered. H&B is £10 when at regular prices.

It does seem a bit steep but I really like it and think it's worth it. How are you going to use it?

I fry, bake and put it in black coffee on occasion. It's also useful to aid getting into ketosis if you find you have difficulty doing that.

Tis nice just off a spoon too :D

Mx

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    Options
    MG - I'm glad you've posted this as sparkling water does this to me too and everyone says I'm mad:rolleyes:

Mercy - I agree with MG, look at what you are eating and I'm sure there will be something you are overdoing (too much dairy/coffee/nuts:confused:)

Button - I hope your belly is better:(

7 days til I go to Orlando (I'm more excited than the kiddies)...... so scared I'm not going to be able to resist the american sized carb portions:eek:.

I think it's amounts :) Over the last few months I've tried cutting out nuts and that didn't make a difference. Pulses - no difference. Maybe it could be dairy, dread to think it might be coffee :eek: Thanks for the ideas!

I'd be well excited about going to Orlando, too! You packed yet? :rotfl: I'm terrible when going on holiday, I make a list of lists :rotfl: Then the actual lists. Love crossing stuff off, makes me think I'm organised not OCD :rotfl:

Hope you have a great time, lucky lady!

Mx
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused :confused:

What does coconut oil look like?? I assumed it was in a bottle, like olive oil?? Now I'm not so sure!!
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Mercy, I'm really fancying some fishcakes for dinner sometime, just got it into my head, lol!!

Was thinking about your salmon treats, are they fishcake like??

Would like to add some mashed cauli or mashed cauli/broc to the mix so they're not too fishy!! :o What do you think?? Do you reckon that will work?? Wasn't sure if I could add the usual butter/cream to the mash either??
  • onewingedangel
    Options
    thanks mercy.
    it was 9.99 from h an b for 16oz the tub says :confused:.
    just tried making a chicken and bacon omlette with it and it was amazing!!
    I've read online about melting a little and using it as a moisturising oil and as a conditioner for hair, so i'll need to give that a go. Haven't tried it off a spoon yet though!!!

SweetSerendipity, it comes in a big tub and is solid. Melted a little in todays heat, but under a certain temperature it goes back to being solid again.
    I love my boys! William born 08/01/08 and andrew born 22/2/09.
  • Theonly'Gaye'inthevillage
    Options
    I know this is going to sound odd, but does coconut oil taste of coconut?
    Vegetarian. Have cut out all high carb food. Not following any particular plan.Started 20/1/2009. Weight lost so far 29lbs. Target weight loss 38lb in total.
  • Mercy
    Options
    I know this is going to sound odd, but does coconut oil taste of coconut?

Yes but only if you get the virgin type pure stuff, and it is mild. Lovely in black coffee or fruit tea :)

If you use it early on in cooking things like curries, the coconut taste goes away. Used later you can get a flavour of it. I've heard of it used in smoothies etc, but never done that myself.

If you get the much cheaper version, generally from asian supermarkets etc, there isn't such a coconut taste. Still good for cooking and body care.

Mx
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    sweet i make tuna fishcakes - 2 cans tuna 2 eggs small handful sweetcorn some chopped onion parsley s&p - then i use a mixture of blitzed pork scratchings and grated parmesan cheese for the coating
    they are pretty delicate and a little messy to do just place on an oiled baking sheet and pop in oven for about 20 mins is
    have added chopped chillis on occasion to - they are yum

had courgette lasange for dinner - last time i made it it was a bit sloppy so left it to go cold and only warmed it tho and it was much better
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business