Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    My periods are messed up. They stopped after 2 days last week, and now I have them again? I'm presuming that's why the scales are saying I'm an lb heavier.

Not feeling very hungry, just having a can of coke zero before I start on the however many pints of water....:lipsrseal

Maybe have a tuna salad or something at 11ish.

No clue what's for tea, I have cabbage and a little bit of cauliflower left, so I'll have some of that, I'm craving chilli but I doubt that's very LC, but then as long as I skipped the kidney beans and all the other stuff it would maybe be okay.

I might go do an asda shop for aubergine, courgette and splenda! Anything else I need for some of the recipes? I have plenty of cheese.
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    My periods are messed up. They stopped after 2 days last week, and now I have them again? I'm presuming that's why the scales are saying I'm an lb heavier.

Not feeling very hungry, just having a can of coke zero before I start on the however many pints of water....:lipsrseal

Maybe have a tuna salad or something at 11ish.

No clue what's for tea, I have cabbage and a little bit of cauliflower left, so I'll have some of that, I'm craving chilli but I doubt that's very LC, but then as long as I skipped the kidney beans and all the other stuff it would maybe be okay.

I might go do an asda shop for aubergine, courgette and splenda! Anything else I need for some of the recipes? I have plenty of cheese.

Mine are heavy all the time lately, will be glad when they stop..

I seem to be constantly food shopping.

Mind you, it doesnt help that middle son has just called in with a 'workmate' and had bacon sarnies, choc biscuits and coffee.
    I will be having a word with him later, i dont mind the one off but he had better not make a habit of it.
    There was a time when i was feeding half his friends.. cheeky sod.

You are so lucky with your egg supplies. ;)
  • mazzers
    Options
    I had to go back to bed as i felt so tired.
    Feeling better now, will have some sardines later as they are quite high in iron.

Tis really cold here, but i seem to feel it more since i lost some weight.
    I noticed on the other thread that folk were always complaining about being cold, mind you, it was winter :rolleyes:

I have decided to draw out £100 a week for food, and when its gone it's tough til the next week.
    The more i buy, the more they eat (and give away)
    Everything i save in future will be for holidays for myself.

I have done my bit, have always been there for them.
    They are all men now and it's time i lived a little ;)
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    I know I said I wouldn't, but, I'm having roasted peppers for lunch again!! :o Just waiting for them to cook *taps fingers impatiently*

Couldn't resist!! It's a yellow pepper today & I'll be having it with lots of yummy mayo!! Mmmmmmmmm!!

mazzers, I've noticed skinny people always seem to feel the cold more!! I don't have that problem at the moment, I'm well insulated, lol!! :rotfl:

I used to have a shopping budget, it's a good idea, I used to have a notebook with a running tally in & was really chuffed when I kept within budget!! Might have to try & resurrect that myself.

Right, off to check on my peppers!! :wave:
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    I had to go back to bed as i felt so tired.
    Feeling better now, will have some sardines later as they are quite high in iron.

Sardines, hmmm thats a thought. i havent had any of those in ages. I like frying it with some onion *drools*

Can anyone give me idea about what you tend to stock up on when going food shopping?

i normally have lots of burgers, sausages, chicken wings, egg and whatever veg i can get my hands on :) i think i need to add more variety to my dinners though. :o
  • mazzers
    Options
    focus888 wrote: »
    Sardines, hmmm thats a thought. i havent had any of those in ages. I like frying it with some onion *drools*

Can anyone give me idea about what you tend to stock up on when going food shopping?

i normally have lots of burgers, sausages, chicken wings, egg and whatever veg i can get my hands on :) i think i need to add more variety to my dinners though. :o

I always have a stock of frozen raspberries, cauli, broccoli, spinach, chicken breasts and fish, you can always rustle up something quick then, i also get the whole chorizo from lidl, tis lovely fried with a chicken breast.
    I have cream, soft and hard cheeses, minced beef, tinned toms and bacon, eggs and mushrooms.
    Have always kept lots of spices too.
    Then its only fresh salad and veg.
    If you make the 'lasagne' pasta sauce, its easy, quite lc (if you only have about a third) and very nice, you can then make a number of dishes using it.
  • mazzers
    Options
    Just bought those scan bran crispbreads from H&B, not cheap!!
    £1.15 for ten small ones (half size of a ryvita).
    They are nice tho, a bit dry, but had mine smothered in garlicky cheese, ate two but could easily have eaten the whole pkt :o
    Will be making my own in future.

My gluten arrived while i was out :mad:
    Is left with a neighbour but he has gone out.. damn, i coulda been baking my bread.
  • mazzers
    Options
    Ooh ooh, i am gonna be making pancakes to go with my cherry syrup later. :j

Hope he's not in work doing a double shift icon9.gif

Also ordered some greenfields lc pasta as i read reviews about it somewhere and is s'posed to be lush.

Will let you know.

Just my luck if he's gone on holiday :rolleyes:
  • marrowgirl
    marrowgirl Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mazzers -I have to watch my iron levels too, I take suppliments now but try to get lots of iron rich foods. Red meat is good (liver and the like) -bleugh, as are sardines. Also eggs are surprisingly high in iron, as is spinach (and green leafy veg) and dried apricots (prob not low carb tho). You need to make sure you have vitamin C at the same time if eating non meat iron as your body needs this to digest it. Tomatoes are good for C and some berries (will have to google it). I like grapefruit but I have to have sparingly as not particulary low carb. I feel awful when my iron is low and crave anything with raisins in -which are higher in iron so I know then I need to get in the spinach!
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
  • marrowgirl
    marrowgirl Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My plan to eat more iron....

Linda McCartney's Spinach Cheese Dumplings (adapted)

1lb fresh spinach
    8oz cottage or ricotta cheese
    2 egg yolks beaten
    4oz hard cheese (parmesan or whatever is to hand)
    salt/pepper/nutmeg to taste
    2oz low carb flour (soya, almond whatever)

cook spinach, drain &chop.
    mix soft cheese, 1/2 hard cheese, egg yolks & seasoning. Add cooled spinach and flour & mix together
    take a spoonful of mixture and shape into dumplings.
    drop into pan of boiling water to cook for about 5 mins.
    Sprinkle with remaining hard cheese.

Good source of protein, vit A, vit C, Calcium & iron. What more could a low carber ask for (except maybe a smaller tummy!).
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure