Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 150.2K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried a complete reset of the dialler? It's not as drastic or as time-consuming as it sounds (takes 2 minutes, maximum):

There are five procedures:

Lift Handset & dial
    **# 0000 * 01536272200 * 1
    Replace handset

Lift Handset & dial
    **# 0000 * 1 * 8
    Replace handset

Lift Handset & dial
    **# 0000 * 0 * *
    Replace handset

Lift Handset & dial
    **# 0000 * 0 * 7
    Replace handset

Finally Lift Handset & dial ***12#4567890*3 (this is the 'Force Home' procedure)
    Replace handset

The red LED on the V4 should now flash for at least 60 seconds. If it stops after 20 seconds or so, the Force Home has failed.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • 18821882 Forumite
    436 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I shall give it a go! Are all of those to be followed or might 1 work on its own? Cheers
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1882 wrote: »
    I shall give it a go! Are all of those to be followed or might 1 work on its own? Cheers
    One might work - but, if so, I have no idea which.

In any case, doing the first 4 will take a minute at most and the last one is the Force Home - so will take 1½ minutes or so (with the wait).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • SnapeloverSnapelover Forumite
    435 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have my Orchid Dialler Box set using the Heinz programme via emails from Orchid so why am I still being charged by Virgin (who are my CPS and offer free evening and weekend calls) for some pphone calls?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snapelover wrote: »
    I have my Orchid Dialler Box set using the Heinz programme via emails from Orchid so why am I still being charged by Virgin (who are my CPS and offer free evening and weekend calls) for some pphone calls?
    Normally, this sort of problem is caused by the dialler having lost its day/time settings allowing peak calls to go out via the CPS instead of 18185.

What type of calls?

What day(s)?

What time of day?
    435 Posts
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Normally, this sort of problem is caused by the dialler having lost its day/time settings allowing peak calls to go out via the CPS instead of 18185.

What type of calls?

What day(s)?

What time of day?

I will check my Virgin ebill and let you know.

Thanks. :A
    435 Posts
    ✭✭

What type of calls?

What day(s)?

What time of day?

These were during the billing period 22nd June to 21st July

28/06/2007
    15:43
    016********
    0:00:20
    £0.07

02/07/2007 9:40
    016********
    0:00:38
    £0.08

Total itemised calls for line: 016******** - 15p
    £ 0.15
    Now I know it is only 15p but the idea is not to pay if it isn;t necessary.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That appears to show the problem IS your Orchid's clock.

You could manually correct the clock or force the dialler home to pick up your program again (and the clock at the same time) but I'd suggest doing a complete reset (see post #862 above).
  • mbaileymbailey Forumite
    858 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That appears to show the problem IS your Orchid's clock.

You could manually correct the clock or force the dialler home to pick up your program again (and the clock at the same time) but I'd suggest doing a complete reset (see post #862 above).

It is a pity there is no way to get the dialler to dial home say once a month automatically to pick up the latest settings (and time of course) as you never know until it is too late if the time is wrong in the unit.

I assume there is no way to do this?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mbailey wrote: »
    It is a pity there is no way to get the dialler to dial home say once a month automatically to pick up the latest settings (and time of course) as you never know until it is too late if the time is wrong in the unit.

I assume there is no way to do this?
    No, there isn't unfortunately - and neither is there (my preferred solution) a version with a built-in 60kHz receiver to pick up the time from the atomic clock transmitter in Cumbria.

Mine is programmed to use 18185 for daytime UK 01/02 calls so the absence of the tariff announcement would alert me when making an outgoing call.

However, I use the Ranger DECT version (which relies on the mains, not the line power, to maintain its clock) and live in a village where power cuts are not uncommon. By accident, I stumbled upon a sort of 'automatic' warning system to alert me its clock needed resetting:

When I first installed the Ranger, I didn't like the base station's ringer - so I turned it OFF (i.e. I use only the handsets' ringers). I then found that, when there is a power cut, the base station's ringer gets switched ON again - warning me to reset the clock (and the VCR, cooker clock, answering machine clock etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals