Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 150.2K views

Replies

• Still no joy with the client, the serial number on my account is the old V4+ dialer box i had, so when i update I may be changing someone elses configurations!

Out of interest, any idea how that came about?

Did you buy it second hand.
  • deefadogdeefadog Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    No, i had bought the original 4 wire one from orchid, then when i moved, i got the ring back you sometimes get on them, so they swapped it for me with the 2 wire version, when both dialers were on my coffe table, my little daughter peeled off the serial numbers on the back (she was very proud of this!) So it was pot luck which sticker came from which box!

• diamondsdiamonds Forumite
    6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    18185 is still 6p yeah & the 5p connection charge, am I wrong ? just that.........

http://www.discountdial.co.uk/rates.php

united kingdom [national rate] landline/mobile

0844 566 3 566 5p per min

or

united kingdom mobile

0871 754 41 41 6p a min

no 18185 5p connection fee on either ;)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    diamonds wrote: »
    18185 is still 6p yeah & the connection charge, am I wrong ? just that.........

united kingdom [national rate] landline/mobile 0844 566 3 566 5p
    From a BT landline, calls to UK 01/02 numbers using the 18185 prefix cost 5p connection and 0p/minute (i.e. a total of 5p for a call of any duration at any time on any day).

http://18185.co.uk/index2.php
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Heinz as much as we all love you, you really do have some blonde moments !

" and action...... "

re-read

;)
    diamonds wrote: »
    18185 is still 6p yeah & the 5p connection charge, am I wrong ? just that.........

united kingdom [national rate] landline/MOBILE

0844 566 3 566 5p per min

or

united kingdom MOBILE

0871 754 41 41 6p a min

no 18185 5p connection fee on either ;)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
    6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    and here

http://www.phonecheap.co.uk/rates.php

united kingdom (wireless) SuperDeal! 0871 754 42 42 6p a min, no connection fee

( same cost on Orange 8MB b/b unlimited Talk International for all 3. thought might get it cheaper lol )
  • barrymungbarrymung Forumite
    638 Posts
    digital wrote: »
    Once you have set up the routing the software sends it to Orchid's server and you then force the dialler to connect to Orchid's server by using the keys on your phone.
    [/url]

So..if Orchid went bust and switched off their server how would I update my dialler?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barrymung wrote: »
    So..if Orchid went bust and switched off their server how would I update my dialler?
    There are basic manual method - but nothing like as detailed as the CW Client approach.

OTOH, I seem to recall sales of 400,000 units (worldwide - Australia to Argentina) being mentioned somewhere and, as the drop-down lists within CW Client reveal some pretty unusual numbers and codes, I'm fairly certain the population is pretty substantial.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • I had thought about that, I wonder if they would let have the source code if they were going to finnish then maybe we could host our own server or even an MSE version.

You ever done it manual Heinz? seems to me it would be quite tricky to make sure it's all right and working.
    Welcome To Orchid Electronics (UK)
    Description

Orchid Electronics Limited (Hong Kong) was founded in 1996. The company's major business areas are the development and manufacture of quality electronics products for international markets. The Hong Kong operation is run from its Kwun Tong offices by Hong Kong MD Mr Ken Lew. In 1997, in conjunction with its then UK partner Dialogue, Orchid developed a range of Least Cost Routing (LCR) products for the UK and other European markets. Since then Orchid has manufactured more than 1.5 million Line Powered LCR Diallers and Telephones.
    In late 1998 the factory re-located to Dong Guan, about 100km north of Hong Kong. The 3000sq. m building houses the production lines, material control, warehouse and engineering development areas of the company.
    In April 2000, the bonding laboratory was established in the factory. The efficiency and quality of the bonding laboratory has improved rapidly ever since. It is now handling all bonding processes needed for production. The first Surface Mounted Technology (SMT) component insertion line was installed in October 2001.This enabled the company to improve the production process to an even higher level of precision. The latest development in early 2002 was in the enhancement of the production line to manufacture up to 2.4Ghz RF Telecom equipment. This enables the factory to produce DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Technology) for the European markets. Launching its first DECT phone with built in LCR in October 2002. In September 2003, Orchid in conjunction with Philips, developed its first low-cost, non-GAP range of cordless digital phones. In 2003, Orchid set up its UK office to help manage its expanding product and customer base.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BritBrat wrote: »
    You ever done it manual Heinz? seems to me it would be quite tricky to make sure it's all right and working.
    I think I'll pass on that one for now :-}}

Seriously though, the link to the procedure for V4/V4+ LCRs is broken at the moment but the Ranger 400 equivalent is: http://www.orchid-electronics.com/V4DECTMPG. As you'll see, it's pretty basic by comparison with CW Client.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals