Orchid Dialler Discount

Options

Comments

• far
    far Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got a V4 dialler today, registered to get the CWClient and have programmed it in a similar way to Heinz's program (stiill using BT for evening/weekend 01 and 02 calls, added rules for Kenya Landlines and Mobiles too which are used a lot as well as saving an extra 1p on 0845 calls too using indirect access numbers) and found it pretty easy going. However one thing confuses me - how can you set it up to differentiate between calls to Canada and the USA? This is important since calls to Canada via an indirect access number at the moment is 0.5p a minute compare to 1p/minute to the USA. It looks to me like this may not be possible unless someone can think of a way round it?
  • smiker
    smiker Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to program the dialler to dial home to 128001536272200 at a frequency of 14 days?

This is because BT privacy will give free caller ID if you make two chargeable calls a month. This should guarantee that this is acheived and save the additonal charge.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    smiker wrote: »
    Is it possible to program the dialler to dial home to 128001536272200 at a frequency of 14 days?
    AFAIAA, Orchid diallers can't be programmed to make calls at all (let alone at specific times) - they just route calls in response to the user dialling.

In any case, the force home code (which tells the dialler to call home) is not the phone number anyway (it's either ***12#4567890*3 for the V4/V4+ or ***00000000*3 for the Ranger 400 DECT) so dialling 01536272200 with or without the 1280 prefix would be pointless.

The cheapest way to make the 2 calls per month required to keep (nearly) free Caller Display and/or 1571 (if you must use it) is to make evening or weekend calls of less than an hour to UK 01/02 numbers. At the moment, they cost 5.5p each but, from 1/8/07, they'll cost 4.5p each.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a note the link for the manual programming of the V4 is - http://www.orchid-electronics.com/v4v4plusmpg.pdf

Cheers
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    far wrote: »
    how can you set it up to differentiate between calls to Canada and the USA?

You can tell Orchid CS the relevant codes you use and they may be able to add them to the list so you can then programme them (eg 001514 for Montreal)

(If there is no conflict with your USA destinations you can already programme the main digits - 0014, 0015 etc to use the carrier you want)
  • Heinz
    Options
    far wrote: »
    However one thing confuses me - how can you set it up to differentiate between calls to Canada and the USA? This is important since calls to Canada via an indirect access number at the moment is 0.5p a minute compare to 1p/minute to the USA. It looks to me like this may not be possible unless someone can think of a way round it?
    Could you not just route all calls to the USA and Canada via 18185 - ½p/minute to landlines and mobiles in both countries?

If, for some reason, you must use gateway providers, you need to ask Orchid to add the 19 Canadian dial codes (001204, 001250, 001306, 001403, 001416, 001418, 001450, 001506, 001514, 001519, 001604, 001613, 001705, 001709 , 001780, 001807, 001819, 001902, & 001905) to the Routing Rules drop-down list so that you can set up the dialler to user Carrier 'A' for calls to all 001 numbers but to use Carrier 'B' for calls to those 19 codes (Orchids route on the longest string).

At the moment, the list shows a Routing Rule for 0019 - Canada but, although that would cater for Canadian codes 902, and 905, it would also route calls to many USA dial codes too (e.g. 001917 is one of the codes used in New York).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • TwoLenses
    Options
    Got my Orchid V4 dialler yesterday :j, but BT have already thrown a spanner in the works. Next month they are changing their charging structure for UK mobiles and non-geographic calls. To quote their latest Terms and Conditions leaflet which landed on my doormat today:
    From 1st August 2007, the way BT charges for UK mobile and non-geographic (0870, 0845 numbers) calls will move from a Daytime-Evening-Weekend rates structure to a simple Daytime (6am-6pm) and Evening (6pm-6am) rates structure. The Daytime-Evening-Weekend rates structure will remain for UK landlines, international calls, numbers that start with 0844 and 0871 and for Premium Rate Service (PRC) calls. This change will not apply to Light User Scheme, In-Contact Plus and BT Basic customers.
    So from August, the weekend time-band will need to be split in two (weekend day and weekend evening). During the daytime at weekends, the best rate for 0870 calls looks like 18185, but during weekend evenings, BT looks the cheapest. Even an Orchid dialler can't do that. (Yet?)
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    I think Heinz already knows that and is working on the best solution with regard to the Orchid dialer limitations.
  • Heinz
    Options
    TwoLenses wrote: »
    Got my Orchid V4 dialler yesterday :j, but BT have already thrown a spanner in the works. Next month they are changing their charging structure for UK mobiles and non-geographic calls. To quote their latest Terms and Conditions leaflet which landed on my doormat today:

So from August, the weekend time-band will need to be split in two (weekend day and weekend evening). During the daytime at weekends, the best rate for 0870 calls looks like 18185, but during weekend evenings, BT looks the cheapest. Even an Orchid dialler can't do that. (Yet?)
    Welcome to the MSE forums TwoLenses.

As BritBrat has pointed out, I'd spotted that and am proposing THIS to take it into account.
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated! I bought 2 V4 dialer's, 1 for my Mum and 1 for her pal (both pensioners who cannot really get to grips with using prefix codes etc.).

They're both registered on the Heinz programme (cheers Heinz). My Mums works fine, routing over Primus when it should etc. but her friends was routing via 18185 at all times despite entring the code and the light flashing etc on numerous occassions. I gave up trying and got them to send a new one but I cannot get it to do anything - it refuses to put prefix codes in front of numbers and allows calls to 123.

Surely the new one can't be faulty too? Both have BT lines CPS Primus and both use same BT DECT phone. Cant see it being relevant but Mums pal recently (before new box) had a line fault which took BT 2 weeks to sort by digging up street/garden to install new wires as previously it came in from a nearby pole instead. Incidentally I did register the new ones serial number on the Heinz programme before trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure