Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 150.2K views

Replies

• iamsam wrote:
    I'm not exactly following you.

Do you have CPS on your phone line? If so, you'd need to do 1280, not 121. Then setting an international/mobile call would need a long number you mentioned (with only the space for one #, but it'd be in the form 12800844...). I don't think 121 or 1280 prefixes need to have a pause after them.

If you're just doing it to fulfil BT's caller ID requirements I'd personally not set it in the router, but have it route 0844 calls to BT and just dial a couple each month manually getting a number from callchecker.

You're right 1280 and not 121.

But as Heinz says, once you've done 1280 then the 0844 number, it only leaves space for 1 pause, which is often not long enough.
  • Ordered my Orchid Cordless phone with built in V4 functionality late yesterday afternoon... Arrived in the post this morning! Constant e-mails between customer support and myself, an absolutely fantastic service! Now I need to get the damn thing to work... :D
  • anotherbobanotherbob Forumite
    176 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've ordered a V4 dialler today..... mainly for the convenience of having a machine to do my remembering.
    I would appreciate it if someone could save me the time it would take me to research the way to maximise the saving potential. I have a BT line and I currently use Primus Saver 2 for free evening and weekend UK landline calls, and 1899 for peaktime calls. I'd like to know how to ensure I'm getting the cheapest calls to mobiles, 0854 & 0870 numbers, and International calls (mainly USA and Italy).
    Any advice would be very welcome.
  • keefrtokeefrto Forumite
    281 Posts
    Anotherbob, follow this link and you will be sorted
    cheers
    anotherbob wrote:
    I've ordered a V4 dialler today..... mainly for the convenience of having a machine to do my remembering.
    I would appreciate it if someone could save me the time it would take me to research the way to maximise the saving potential. I have a BT line and I currently use Primus Saver 2 for free evening and weekend UK landline calls, and 1899 for peaktime calls. I'd like to know how to ensure I'm getting the cheapest calls to mobiles, 0854 & 0870 numbers, and International calls (mainly USA and Italy).
    Any advice would be very welcome.
    Currently 4 me its Rogers Contract cell phone, REBTEL.COM is the best mobile making and receiving calls to/from UK and Canada:beer:
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest you open a 18185 account and then ask Orchid to initially set your V4 up with 'the Heinz 20/10/06 program'.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • iamsamiamsam Forumite
    106 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    anotherbob wrote:
    I'd like to know how to ensure I'm getting the cheapest calls to mobiles, 0854 & 0870 numbers, and International calls (mainly USA and Italy).
    Without having to do too much research; if you make fairly regular international calls to specific countries, it does well to take a look at/keep an eye on the International CallChecker and make sure 18185 is indeed cheapest for that specific country - you can set those as exceptions in the dialler.

I found the Heinz post particularly useful on setting up the dialler (thanks!).

I don't know whether it would be breaching Orchid's copyright, but when I was setting up mine myself (I ordered it before I had Primus/18185 activated), I thought that a translated 'Heinz program' into a routing table would have been helpful (I can post mine if needs be...) - either as a screenshot or plain-text. I found that there were lots of options, even for the simple actions, and it took a while to figure out the most suitable one (for example, installing 1280 to handle the CPS override - you could have 1280 handled as S, T, B, E. I eventually decided that I thought E is the more suitable, but it seemed to suggest S).
  • wygde3wygde3 Forumite
    42 Posts
    I agree that it would be very useful to have the CWClient routing table published so that we non experts can safely set it up correctly.
  • Carl.Carl. Forumite
    139 Posts
    Heinz wrote:
    I'd suggest you open a 18185 account and then ask Orchid to initially set your V4 up with 'the Heinz 20/10/06 program'.
    Hi Heinz,

I notice that your "plan" contains the lines.....

118xxx (Directory Enquiry) calls
    At all times - Digit Translate 118xxx or 192 to 118226

Does this mean that if you dial 118118/118500/118888/192 that it will always be routed through to 118226?

If so, could all these horrible dq numbers be routed through to the 0161 number which is currently available on the sayno website?

Do they accept Paypal? I can't seem to find the option.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl. wrote:
    Hi Heinz,

I notice that your "plan" contains the lines.....

118xxx (Directory Enquiry) calls
    At all times - Digit Translate 118xxx or 192 to 118226

Does this mean that if you dial 118118/118500/118888/192 that it will always be routed through to 118226?

If so, could all these horrible dq numbers be routed through to the 0161 number which is currently available on the sayno website?
    (1). Yes.

(2). Yes, but I chose not to put that in 'the program' because (IMHO) it's likely that the 0161 number will suddenly disappear.

If you're willing to take the chance, it is, of course, an alternative (and, if it disappears, I suppose you'd just get an unobtainable tone and it'd not cost anything - but it would be annoying).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • SnapeloverSnapelover Forumite
    435 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have the dialler box programmed (by Orchid and not me) to use Cheapchat for weekday/weekend calls to mobiles but when I dial the mobile number it tells me that the access number has been changed to.....

Why is this?

It is causing problems as if I pop out my kids cannot contact me on my mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals