Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 150.2K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 DECT phone users, please see the below new thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=4081981#post4081981
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • iamsamiamsam Forumite
    106 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for setting this up Heinz, it seems like it'll be a great service for many. I'm not planning to add myself to the list, however, because I wish to retain control of my routing table. I would like to ensure that I've got it set up correctly though.

Is it possible for you to post a screenshot of the default routing table (using 'the heinz program')? Things like which 118 Translate to use are a little confusing ('118 - *New* Directory Enq'; '118 - Translate Directory'; '118 - Eccosse 118 Trans'; '118*1*9 - 118 DQ Trans' all seem to do the same thing... are they equivalent, if so why have 4?).
  • keefrtokeefrto Forumite
    281 Posts
    Did you notice that from your link Heinz the Orchid phone number is an 0870 number!!! Poor show indeed, however if you https://www.orchid-electronics.com their phone number reverts to the 01536!!!
    is it me?
    Currently 4 me its Rogers Contract cell phone, REBTEL.COM is the best mobile making and receiving calls to/from UK and Canada:beer:
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their geographical number is 01536 443677 but, with the online ordering system, there's no need to phone them anyway.

Orchid LCRs phone home once (when picking up their first program after initial installation) on an 0845 number but on 01536 272200 thereafter.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Jimbo001Jimbo001 Forumite
    31 Posts
    My Ranger 400 DECT now appears to be set up OK after a few initial teething problems undoubtedly the result of my inexperience with this product.

At one stage the time/day routing feature appeared be operating with the incorrect time.
    Is there a way to check that this features clock is correctly set without having to force the product to call home for an update? In my opinion there is a requirement to know that the clock is correctly set in order to use the product with confidence.

I have seen Heinz’s excellent write up on manually resetting the time but unfortunately my Ranger 400 does not accept the last digit in the time setting string.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimbo001 wrote:
    Is there a way to check that this features clock is correctly set without having to force the product to call home for an update? In my opinion there is a requirement to know that the clock is correctly set in order to use the product with confidence.

I have seen Heinz’s excellent write up on manually resetting the time but unfortunately my Ranger 400 does not accept the last digit in the time setting string.
    Unfortunately, there's no way to check the Ranger's time other than dialling an 01/02 number when the change to using 18185 should just have taken place (i.e. 6am on a weekday) and listening for the tariff announcement OR when the change from using 18185 should just have taken place (i.e. 6pm on a weekday) and listening for the absence of the tariff announcement).

You are right, the last digit of the manual time setting procedure is beyond the 'on hook' 20-character/digit capacity of the Ranger handsets.

However, you can overcome that EITHER by pressing the handset key FIRST - and then dialling all 21 characters/digits off hook OR by keying the first 20 on hook, then pressing the handset button and then immediately pressing the last digit (the digit '2').

I'd recommend the former procedure but doing so initially by programming the time a minute or two ahead - then hang up and hit the redial button followed by the handset button at exactly the right moment!

N.B. Using either method, you may get that nice BT lady, who seems to work excessively long hours, saying, "Please hang up and check your user guide." Rude as it may seem, you can just ignore her. ;)
  • twhiteheadtwhitehead Forumite
    128 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sorry Heinz but what do you mean with
    N.B. Using either method, you will probably get that nice BT lady, who seems to work excessively long hours, saying, "Please hang up and check your user guide." Rude as it may seem, you can just ignore her and hang up if you do.

Do you ignore her and carry on dialling the rest of the 20 numbers or do you hang up?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twhitehead wrote:
    Sorry Heinz but what do you mean with
    N.B. Using either method, you will probably get that nice BT lady, who seems to work excessively long hours, saying, "Please hang up and check your user guide." Rude as it may seem, you can just ignore her and hang up if you do.

Do you ignore her and carry on dialling the rest of the 20 numbers or do you hang up?
    Ignore her, carry on (you are actually programming the Ranger base station and the fact that you have to go 'on line' to finish the process is annoying but irrelevant).
  • jimmyboy420jimmyboy420 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been reading about this.

Is it worth it, would you say, if I only make around £2 of calls a month (mainly to 0870 or 0845 numbers when I can't find a geographical number..)? How long would it take to recoup the £15...?
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get an Orchid V4 dialler for £11.99 (after the 20% discount).

Savings on 0845/0870 calls are minimal now (BT is cheapest most of the time but 18185 beats them occasionally).

It'd take ages to claw back £11.99.

Why not just print out THIS PAGE and THIS PAGE and keep them by the phone?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides