PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a bad stain, wich had resisted everything, and many washings, think it was red wine though and not blood, and read to mix white vinegar and bio powder to a paste, and then spread it on and leave for 15 mins, then wash again, and it worked for that. Might be worth a try.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ive merged this with an older thread which should help

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• RachelBP
    RachelBP Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Not to be TMI but any bright ideas to get it out of something you can't soak or bung in the wash... a matress! :(
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would try spraying with diluted vinegar in water in a spray bottle then patting it dry with towel?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2015 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Hi
    Any ideas for getting a blood/other bodily fluid (pus?) stain out of a pale green and white striped cotton tunic?
    DD is a student vet nurse on placement atm, so I've been constantly soaking and cleaning various bodily fluids from different items of her uniform over the last few weeks (:eek:) but she forgot to tell me about these two marks on this tunic (:wall:) and I didn't notice them as I was distracted by a much bigger blood patch on a different area of the item (which came out fine) until after it had been through the wash
    I've washed it 4 times and have tried soaking in cold water and using Vanish (various types) which usually shifts everything, but this is well 'set in' now :( I've been drying it in the sun, hoping the sun might fade the mark a bit.
    I can't use anything that will bleach the colour from the tunic as it is a uniform item, embroidered with her Uni's name and logo (and not cheap to replace!)
    Any suggestions for anything else I can try that might help at this stage, please?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I always use white vinegar/washing up liquid mixed to a paste with bicarb, leave for a couple of hours and then wash
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I would try soaking in nappisan overnight, then wash with bio powder and another scoop of nappisan and dry in sunlight. The other product which used to work brilliantly even on old stains though I haven't seen it in the shops for years was Ace laundry bleach which despite the name doesn't bleach the colour out.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, Butterly Brain and Nicki,
    I managed to get some further improvement today by mixing some Ariel stain remover into a paste (although the instructions say you shouldn't do this) and leaving for about half an hour before washing out.
    It's definitely better, but still not completely gone.
    Can try white vinegar/washing up liquid and bicarb paste tomorrow, if necessary I can get some Nappisan next time I'm at the shops.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Ideally, you would want to tackle the stain with water right away. The fresher the blood is, the more effective it is to clean it off. And then, apply some soap on it. Give it a good rub all over the stain. And if you're dealing with light-color fabric, hydrogen peroxide (which will act as bleach) will be a good option. In worse cases when the blood has dried, you'll need to put more work into it. First, apply some pre-treatment products which could be found anywhere on the market. Then use enzyme-based laundry detergent to wash off the stain. This could be applied to bed sheets, shoes, and any kinds of fabric or leather materials.
  • Linda_R
    Options
    I have just discovered a med size large blood stain on my daughters cot blanket. She pulled off a nail during the night. Luckily shes not bothered at all by it. Unlike me!
    Meanwhile ive now got a dried on blood stain on a £50 (pre mse) cot quilt.
    Can anyone please tell me what I might use to get rid of it. Its quite a delicate quilt
    Thanks in advance
    Allie and toddler Mollies whos totally unphased my Mummies screams on seeing blood!
    I'm not sure about silk, but one thing I am sure of is that you should absolutely not use any cleaner that contains an enzyme. Silk is made by an animal, the silk worm, therefore it contains proteins which are broken down by enzymes. Using them to get rid of the stains might work, but it would damage the material too. It's also a rather delicate material so you should begin with cleaning agents that are mild.
    Just thought I'd let you know before you ruined something you probably like.
    Have a great day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport