PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like OH has ruined his trousers with pitting it in warm water! Anyway will try to soak with biological powder & keep my fingers crossed. Could do without unnecessary expense of buying new trousers!
  • Agapanthus
    Options
    Soaking with biological prewash (Bio-tex) or equivalent works best. I have removed very old bloodstains like that, but in extreme cases the soaking has been up to a week!:eek: (It may be a bit smelly by that time, but never fear - it washes out!)

I put the item in cold water, then sprinkle the powder directly over the stain, to get the strongest possible solution. Then wash in cold water. It's never failed yet, but if there should be a small residual stain that doesn't shift, you can soak it again provided it hasn't been in hot water.
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • ladylouise62
    Options
    Another vote for biotex - has worked on similar problems for me, albeit having to soak a few times.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with a thread on removing dried in blood stain

this thread may also help

ZIp :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• purplestar133
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to post.

I've got dried blood on some sheets - it's a few days old. This happens a lot as my OH is diabetic so always testing his blood and spilling it - it's particularly bad this time though. I've looked around the internet for ways to get the stains out but there's so many different theories on what to try. Can anyone recommend anything?

I read somewhere to scrub with shampoo. Done this but it's left rings.

I've got:
    • Ariel stain remover
    • soda crystals
    • salt
    • white vinegar
    Will any of these help? I am happy to leave the sheets to soak but don't know what substance is best to soak them in.

Parts of the sheets are white but one sheet is coloured so prefer not to use bleach.

The one thing I have learned is to use a cold wash. That explains why the stains never come out when I put the sheets on the hottest wash I can!:o
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    His saliva
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cold soak then a 40'C wash in bio detergent. It's best to not let the blood dry out if you possibly can, if you can deal with it fresh it will just rinse out under the cold tap.
    Val.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I was told to chuck some salt into the water and then soak it overnight. so I tried it - and it worked better than usual when washed with bio afterwards, so I do that nowdays.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cold water and salt,hth.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    .....I've got dried blood on some sheets - it's a few days old. This happens a lot as my OH is diabetic so always testing his blood and spilling it -....

Not just my OH then, and in his case, not just bedding but pj trousers and work shirts too.

I think the shirts are the hardest to rescue as he's worn them all day before I notice the blood stain.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport