PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• moo842
    moo842 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    a very lovely paramedic once told me salt and cold water gets blood out, and it workd for my daughters very bloody white dress, and beleive me it was covered!!
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    I usually use Stain Devils #2 when I can find it, it will even take out "cooked" on blood, just saturate the stain, leave for a few minutes and then wash as normal. Hubby gets really covered sometimes when he comes home from the field. I think its called Dr Beckmann now.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the exisitng thread to give you more ideas ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I went to a posh do with my DD and she fell over twice, splitting her lip and then badly grazing her thumb. Obviously I had to comfort her, but in doing so she got small bloodstains all over my shoulder and front.

The dress is pure silk, with a pattern, so if I can;t get the stains out totally it won;t show too much, but I'm not sure what to do. I probably should have soaked it but I didn;t, so the stains have dried. I have biological washing powder - should I just wash it with that? Or is there something cleverer I can do?

Or should I just go to the dry cleaner?

I don;t have much luck with blood usually - I have ruined many a pair of knickers by coming on early - but I've only worn this (expensive designer) dress three times and would like to salvage it! If I can't, it will make VERY pretty cushion covers :p
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem with DDs nosebleeding sporadically and found the best thing to get rid of the bloodstain was one of those " oxy bleaches " or oxipodwers that you add to the wash. Test your dress for colour fastness first on an inconspiuous place ( inner seam for example ). I never had any problem with colour fading but then I didnt have a designer silk dress either ! lucky you, hope youi manage to get it out.
  • paloma
    paloma Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    This might sounds disgusting, but it has worked for me. If it's just a small stain, spit on it, let sit for a few minutes, then wash as usual. The enzymes in saliva break down proteins in bloodstains.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd soak it in cold water for 2 or 3 hours (or overnight) first off, to loosen the stains (supposed to be what you do with bloodstains). Then I think I'd wash it as You normally would, and take a look then before it has started to dry. If the stains are still there maybe dab the stains themselves with some biological liquid detergent (bio not generally considered good for silk), then leave it for a few minutes, and then wash again.

Hope you get it clean !!
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paloma wrote: »
    This might sounds disgusting, but it has worked for me. If it's just a small stain, spit on it, let sit for a few minutes, then wash as usual. The enzymes in saliva break down proteins in bloodstains.

Ooooh, now, I've just remembered from my past, someone once told me that soaking in milk can help, as that has enzymes which dissolve bloodstains ??
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    paloma wrote: »

This will only work if it's your own blood on the fabric. The OP should have her child spit on the stains.

I've found that a cold soak and one of those Vanish soap bars will remove small blood-spots. Warm or hot water will fix the stains.
  • paloma
    paloma Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've used my own spit successfully on my own child's nosebleed stains,perhaps it depends on your blood group ?? Worth a try anyway, costs nothing :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure