PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm in need of some help :rolleyes:

Earlier this evening, I ripped my elbow to shreds (ok, hyperbole, but it feels like it!) on the spikes on the zip of my sofa cushion covers. I didn't realise this, and bled kinda profusely over the dry-clean only, champagne coloured :eek: shot silk (from Matalan, not that expensive, but still....)

Does anyone know, how I can get blood out of such pale silk? Or do I need to have them drycleaned? :o

Thanks in advance!

PGxx
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    Oh no 6 hours for first response you've probably sorted it by now!!

Probably dried by now so as well to wait for other responses first.

Fresh blood - blood is very slightly salty. Water alone makes the red blood cells burst (haemolysis) releasing the pigment, haemoglobulin (which might stain more), so perhaps slightly salty water would be sufficient. Dab rather than wiping though to avoid spreading the blood.

Unless someone else says differently I would try with slightly salted water for dried blood too.

All the best!!
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    must be cold water - hot water sets blood!
    Tim
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would have thought that salty water would have set the stain but I might be wrong. I usually try cold water but as AFFL say, the blood will have dried by now.

I also use ACE bleach (if you've not heard of it, it's not a chlorine bleach) for blood stains, it fizzes up over the stain. I've just looked at the bottle and I can't see silk mentioned but it's supposed to be gentle on fabrics and it does have the Woolmark; might be worth a try if nothing else shifts it.

I would then try a gentle cool wash in something like Woolite or soap flakes. I know the label says dry-clean only but I usually do my sofa covers and silk scarves this way and they've been fine but this is only a recommendation.

there's some interesting info on here http://www.srfabrics.com/care/stain.htm *** Don't use ammonia on silk!

***just had a look at the washing instrustions on a (washable) silk dress and it says handwash separately on a cool wash - do not use fabric softener***
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    it's salty cold water for blood.
  • Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure for when it dries but the person spit gets blood out of cloth. A tip from people that do needle work.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone

My mother was ill and was bleeding ; so what is the best way to get rid of these rather large blood stains please.

Many thanks in advance

Fiona

Ps. Washing in a normal wash doesn't usually work..
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi booklover,

Don't wash it in hot water as it seems to fix the stain. What I normally do is rinse the fabric under a cold tap, rubbing the stain to get as much of the blood out as possible, then leave it to soak in cold water with some salt added and then wash as normal.

There's an earlier thread with more ideas so I've added your post to it. These threads may help too:

Help-I need to remove blood stains from my mattress

Blood stained carpet !!!!!!!!!!!

Pink
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi pinkwinged thanks so much for that great advice. :T :T

You are brilliant. :A :A

Fiona

Ps. Hope you are keeping well and enjoying the beautiful weather here.
  • northwest1965
    Options
    Ant tips for removing a dried on blood stain?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure