PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DD bundled her duvet cover into the washing machine and I put it on a 60 wash. When I pulled it out I found it had a big bloodstain on it :mad:
    I soaked it for an hour in hot water with Biotex, then scrubbed the stain with a brush and washed it again on a 60 super wash, but it is still very visible.
    I'd rather avoid dying the sheet, is there anything else I can try to remove the stain?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It may well be too late as hot water will have probably fixed the stain.

For future reference to get out blood use cold water and salt as soon as possible before the normal wash.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • UserX
    UserX Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I've had reasonable success getting rid of 'set' blood stains by soaking items in a solution of Milton before - not completely but the best outcome I've had of any other method.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its got to be worth washing it again, but try your machines coldest setting.

Its natural to assume hot water is the key but I understand cold water does the trick with blood, no idea why though.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    my nan always soaked bloodied items in Milk overnight. Full Fat btw - not sure skimmed would work. its worth a try though. I think its something to do with the protiens in milk?
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be too late now it's been washed on 60 but when my neighbour fell and gashed his head I remembered his wife's tip about salt and sprinkled cold water then salt on the stained rug and by the time he came back from the hospital it was like new.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Cold water because hot sets the stain. Salt because osmosis then causes the red cells to swell and explode and...umm...exploded cells are easier to wash out. For some reason.

Big fan of sunshine here-a fortnight's hard bleaching on the line sorts a lot of issues. Not, alas, the time of year where that's much help, sorry.
    import this
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for replies so far. I have had the talk with her in the past about letting me know ASAP if she has an accident so I can soak it (I too use the cold water and salt method!) but she didn't mention a word about it so I just switched on the machine....
    I will give the Milton a go now!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Napisan is very good just soak in cold water and napisan overnight
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • freebiz14
    freebiz14 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine told me that ammonia and liquid dish washing detergent works very well at getting rid of blood stain. Just soak the fabric in the solution for some time. I've never tried it myself but she said it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure