PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are all sorts of recipes and some good links in an older thread that you might like too :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=15419
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • black_pudding_2
    Options
    The school I used to go to years ago used to do the best chicken pie ever.
    Have tried finding out the recipe but to no avail.

Any ideas greatly appreciated
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

20p savers club = £8.00
    £2.00 savers club = £0.00 (£100 banked)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0024 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie is there any chance of me getting the recipe for cheese and egg flan, as this was a fav of mine at school.
    GC: £400/ £0
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

We have a long running thread on school dinners and puds so I'll your question to it. The answer might actually be in one of the earlier posts.

Good luck anyway :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • zubezube
    zubezube Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmm caramel cake and custard, my kids still get that now and love to come home and tell me how good it was. lol
    :pwould like to make it known it is not a DHN, she's dancing :p

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.:A
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    tiptoes wrote:
    Queenie is there any chance of me getting the recipe for cheese and egg flan, as this was a fav of mine at school.

I've PM'd you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    ladygrey wrote:
    I don't remember anything tasting delicious in school :(

Me neither :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Me neither :rotfl:

or me the olny good thing to come out of my school at 3.30 p.m. was me ,like a blue streak.
    Srangely though after over 50 years I am back at school in Adult -education and loving every minute of it:D
  • Ammie
    Ammie Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and the links, ahhh the good ole' days!

Queenie please can I have the recipie for:

Choc. Crispy Shortcake &
    Oat Cookies. It would be much appreciated :T
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum used to be a school meals cook.
    She worked extra hours to make sure that the kids (in a deprived area) had good food each day,cooking from scratch to make the budget go further.
    She regularly made home-made cookies for them and I have several pages of recipes
    of them from her school meals days.
    If you can remember the name of your favourites,I will look to see if they are on the list.
    The most popular ones were nutty slacks and melting moments,so I'll post those recipes.Both contain lard,which is a big no-no now of course,so you may want to make some adjustments!
    Melting moments;
    6oz sugar,
    8oz marg
    2oz lard,
    12oz flour (I assume plain as some recipes have baking powder)
    2oz oats.
    Cream fat and sugar add dry ingredients.Form into balls and flatten onto baking tray.Add a small piece of glace cherry to each.
    Bake reg 4 .

Nutty slacks.
    9oz pl flour
    5oz marg
    5oz lard,
    7oz sugar
    3oz oats
    3oz coconut
    1/2oz baking powder.
    Same method as MMs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors