We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Orchid V4, V4+ Programing Tool Support

Options

Comments

• Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Fruit_and_Nut_Case Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 June 2010 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, Heinz. :A

I'm beginning to think that my Orchid box is knackered. It's difficult to tell by ear but I think that the dialtone I hear when I pick up the phone is from the network rather than from the dialler.

This might explain why, when I dial 121, I hear the dreaded tri-tone and get a message that the number I have dialled has not been recognised. To me this indicates that the 121 is being passed on to the network rather than being treated as a control code by the dialler.

I have tried the reset strings you listed above, with no luck.

BTW I checked the back of my Orchid box and can confirm that it is actually a V4 PLUS, although I have never used the power supply. I can't actually remember one coming with it! Do you happen to know the voltage, in case I can find a spare power supply lying around; I'm ready to try anything now.

Found the details here here. 12V 200mA
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    anotherbob wrote: »
    I wasn't sure which version it is.
    The quickest way to establish that would appear to be to try the override code.

For a V2, it's ##
    For a V4, it's 121
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • seanhodges
    seanhodges Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I just arranged to upgrade my O2 broadband to include home phone (previously with TalkTalk). I see that I will get some free calls included, as well as different prices for 0845, 0844, 0870 etc etc.
    (I know that you are supposed to have a BT line, but my order appears to have gone through without a hitch).

Has anyone done the analysis of which service to use and when, for an O2 home phone line?

If not, I'll have a go and put my conclusions up here.

Incidentally, I have been carefully checking my 1899 and 18185 bills against the changes I made to my V4 with the new modem and the excel spreadsheet, and to my amazement everything seems to check out so far.

One thing nearly tricked me when checking that the rates being charged were correct - as far as I can make out, 1899 and 18185 charge only for completed minutes for fixed lines, but for any part of a minute with mobiles. Once I realised that, everything made sense.

My wife thinks I am totally mad for wasting so much time on this, but I tried to explain that it's not so much the money as the sense of triumph and the intellectual challenge. A bit like doing a difficult sudoku!
  • Heinz
    Options
    I doubt you'll be getting bargain prices for 0844 calls!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • seanhodges
    seanhodges Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    I doubt you'll be getting bargain prices for 0844 calls!

I see what you mean. 0844 maps onto a huge range of charging codes in the ff**, i**, and g** ranges. Prices listed in those ranges in the O2 home phome charging document vary enormously, from 0p to 20p+ per min.
  • johnniegif
    johnniegif Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 August 2010 at 11:36PM
    Options
    I have sold my soul to the devil and have switched from BT/Primus/18185/O2 Access Broadband soley to TalkTalk as they have recently been unbundled at my exchange. I am well out of my comfort zone with TalkTalk as there will be no overrides (e.g. 18185/1280 etc.)

I have updated Kevin's fantastic spreadsheet/Heinz's default program so that any '3's (1280) are now '0's and any '1's (18185) are now '5's (18185 cable number - 0808 170 3703) I'm still making my mind up about 07 - mobile numbers as it depends on the length of the call as to whether 18185's cable number is cheaper depending on the length of the call/time of day. At the moment I get free evening and weekend landline/0870/0845 calls from TalkTalk, so daytime landline calls are routed over the 18185 cable number. Eventually I *might* pay TalkTalk £4/month extra for unlimmited landline calls as I appreciate I will no longer get that lovely Zero Pence Per Minute announcement from 18185 :( and it will be replaced with One Pence Per Minute instead. Not the end of the world but it will add up as there are two of us at home during the day. I'm writing this down in case it helps others who jump ship from the prescribed program and have Orchid Dialers.

My query is this: several of my friends have TalkTalk telephone numbers and therefore I can call them free 24/7 for up to 3 hours at a time. To reflect this in the spreadsheet, would I add an entry with a TalkTalk 'phone number in column G (e.g. 02071234567) with attribute 'A' in column I and day/night/weekend columns (J/K/L) as '0' '0' '0' ?

I would repeat this with an entry for each individual TalkTalk number.

Would this work?

Thanks for your help,

Johnnie
  • Heinz
    edited 10 August 2010 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Yes, Orchid routing rules work on the 'longest string' principle so the complete number in column G will mean it follows whatever rules you put into columns I, J, K & L.
  • johnniegif
    Options
    Thanks as always for your help Heinz.
  • ian_h
    ian_h Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not used a v4 for a couple of years but now need to reactivate it after a change of broadband supplier.

Kevin's excel sheet is a fantastic tool, but is there some way of interrogating the v4 and retrieving the current routing tables so I can just tweak rather tan start again from scratch?

Cheers
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    No - the only thing to do is clear it and start from scratch. (Unless orchid can supply you with your own table - they did at the time they discontinued support, but may have now disposed of all our data)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport