Sar Letter

Options

Comments

• ashton02
    ashton02 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    we had to pick up my husbands sar from branch was alot of messing around but worth it for all the info on it proved they owed him a huge amount in ppi from 2002 upwards on an account that had been closed for years aswel
  • dave_collins
    Options
    :beer:Thanks to all for your help
  • lesannett
    Options
    I wonder whether anyone has any idea about my situation. I had a loan with PPI in the 1990's with Natwest. It was a joint account and we are no longer together and I do not have the bank account or loan details. The person I spoke to was very helpful at looking up past accounts and details. However when she found the account I was talking about she said because my name isn't the first on the account I can't be given the details of the loan only the first named account holder. This seems crazy to me as if we had written my name on the form first it would have only been me that could enquire into the loan details. I really don't want to have to ask my ex to do this as we haven't spoken for years. I only want half the money so it's not that I'm trying to be deceitful. Can this be correct? Thanks for any advice that people may have.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Even if you could get details of this account in the manner you tried, in order to complain about any aspect of it you'd have to complain in tandem with the other joint account holder. You cannot simply complain about your "half" of the account.

If you want to make a complaint about PPI mis-selling, therefore, you'll have to contact your ex and persuade him/her to co-operate.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you send a SAR, you should still get the account details.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    If you send a SAR, you should still get the account details.
    The other account holder would still have to countersign any complaint...
  • lesannett
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. The reason I had called the bank was because I saw this on the Reclaim PPI for free on MSE under the FAQS:

I had a joint loan with my partner but we're now divorced, does this affect my case? This depends on the lender. Some need two signatures to release the info. Some only pay part to the person complaining, and keep the rest for the partner. Others pay it all to one person - if the other ever reclaims, they'll tell them to find their ex.

From what the bank said to me it seemed that if he wanted to make a claim he wouldn't need any consent from me to do so. That seems a little unfair as it was a joint account and the issue for me is that his name precedes mine on the account name and I can't even be given any details on the the loan.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Actually, it may not be that his name preceeds yours. It may be that the PPI only covered him, so only he can complain.

Ort it might be as it used to be, certainly in the late 2000's. I had a joint account with my ex partner. To close it, or discuss it, he needed to do this because as the person told me, 'we deal with the male, not the female account holder' and that's just the way it was.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • madaminx
    madaminx Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi All

I am about to send SARs to four different banking institutions as I know I was mis sold PPI on old and now obsolete credit card accounts.

The letter I am about to use is this one below which I have tweaked as most SARs seem to assume that the claimant will know their account details. I don't hence I am using this letter accompanied with a £10 fee. Is this the correct letter? Please advise. Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam

SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998

Please send me all data that your company holds relating tomy entire account history. Please include details of all transactions, and acopy of the original contract by which this account is/was governed at the timeit was opened including all amendments made to the contract terms since openingthe account. Circa mid to late 80s andearly 90s. Please note that I would havebeen living at this address at the time of holding accounts with the bank name(XXXXXXX.)

I would also like a schedule of all charges & interestapplied to my account(s) including details of any instances that requiredmanual intervention. If you are unable to provide this specific information,copy statements will suffice.

All data, including data held on a microfiche must beprovided within a reasonable timescale, a maximum of 40 days.

In light of all the recent publicity regards the reclaimingof bank charges, some Banks appear to now only be providing a breakdown ofcharges in response to all and any Data requests. For the avoidance of doubt Ido actually require all information held by yourselves.

It seems a lot of banks are also wrongly interpreting theData Protection Act (DPA) 1998 as a requirement to only disclose six yearsworth of personal data, and this is also wholly wrong. The DPA clearly statesthat all information held must be disclosed and it has no correlation to theLimitation act 1980 at all. If you no longer hold data beyond 6 years however,I would like a signed declaration from your data controller and a copy of alldocuments pertaining to its proper disposal.

Whilst not exhaustive and for the avoidance of doubt I shalllist what I require:

* Full copies of all contracts that exist between myself andyour organisation; including copies of any documents you hold in support ofsame.

* Copies of all statements relating to any bank and creditcard accounts

* Copies of all correspondence, including all letters,faxes, emails and memos sent and received between ourselves, and any otherthird party in relation to any of said accounts.

* Copies of any telephone recordings and/or transcripts ofthese recordings as well as any logs or journals that relate to them.

* Copies of all documents which include any of my personalinformation including copies of any contracts or invoices, emails or computerrecords containing my personal information, or any records which pertain tothis information.

* Full details and copies of any documents upon which yourelied when you have provided my personal or financial information to anyindividual, organisation or third party.

* Full copies or transcripts of any computer logs ordatabase records kept in relation to myself or in relation to my financial orpersonal information.

*Details of all systems you currently have in place toensure my personal or financial information is kept securely, including detailsof those officers who currently have control of same, and at the time it washeld or provided to a third party.

* Where any previous information or records held have beendeleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, reason fordeletion, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Whereyou are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration,signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates andmethods of destruction of this data.

I enclose the maximum statutory fee of £10.

You have 40 days to comply with this request.

If you fail to comply fully I shall enter a formal complaintwith the Information Commissioners Office which could result in a fine andprosecution.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why send anything different than the original post in this thread?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure