PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• MrsAnnie
    MrsAnnie Posts: 679 Forumite
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Hi, I did it! :cool:

It's come out ok, it's on the line now.
    It was too late by the time it finished last night to hang it out.
    Only thing I'd say although it's ok, I think if it were a much heavier filling it might damage the machine so bear it in mind?
    I don't think a king size one would fit in mine.....
    I put it on a very long programme at 40 degrees.

Thanks everybody!

Once it is line dryed. I would put it in the tumble dryer for a bit to plump it up. As greenbee said you could add a couple of tennis balls to the dryer.
    I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he ha
    s had to overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T Washington
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's part-baked in the sun, completely dry and fluffy, hubby just brought it in as we've got a storm coming now :cool:
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goodness what size washing machines have you lot got? mine really needs a wash to freshen it up and there is no way it would go in my machine. Hmmmmm may take a trip to Debenhams!! :grin:
    Slightly bitter
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    Options
    :o Bah! I accidently hit the spam button again..

My machine is a Hoover Nextra 6+4, it takes a 6kg wash load and 4kg tumble dryer load. IT's ok but some programmes are very very long.
  • geek0
    geek0 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    can i ask how tennis balls help, and are we talking the kind u hit with a bat or is this something completely different :question:
    November Wins: 50p voucher Danone
    Freebies: 2 Books, Colour Catcher Sample, £10.00 Argos Voucher, Febreeze plugin
    Surveys Earnings: 5.65, 3.00, 1.00
    Dec £5/day challenge: £5/£155
    Dec GC: 0/£120
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    DianneB wrote: »
    Goodness what size washing machines have you lot got? mine really needs a wash to freshen it up and there is no way it would go in my machine. Hmmmmm may take a trip to Debenhams!! :grin:

I take the really large duvet to the launderette - they have nice big machines, and still cheaper than a new one......
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    if the duvet is too big, the weight of the wet duvet can knacker your washing machine - also, if the cover tore, it wouldnt do the machine much good either (washing machine repair is likely to be far more expensive than the duvet) - I hand washed mine in the bath earlier in the year - it was a bit of a drag, but worked fine and no risk to the washer!
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Well we've recently brought home a new kitten and whilst a little over excited the other night he did a wee on our bed!
    Luckily we have a spare one.. (duvet, not bed!)

Anyway, I've washed the duvet cover but have no idea what to do with the duvet?

Its a polyester type not a feather one. Can i just wash it? It had a label but all the print is missing! :rolleyes:

Any tips for washing? I'm thinking we might just need a whole new one? :confused:

Thanks for any advice
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Options
    I've always just put mine throgh on a normal 40 degree wash. Bearing in mind what's been on it, I'd probably use biological washing powder. I just take it down to laundrette and put it in the largest machine I can find! then I tumble dry it there too and make sure it's well aired at home. Alternatively, lots of dry cleaners offer duvet cleaning?
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many are not washable as the filling clumps together :( But some are :)

Impossible to tell without the label. If you don't want to risk it, then it's a case for the dry cleaners. If you're prepared to wreck it then try machine washing it. But you may need to take it to the launderette if your w/m is not big enough.

Sorry not to be more specific
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure