PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• cannylass_2
    cannylass_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    no-is dry clean only!:o
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... ;)
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Take it to the launderette.
    They will either do it as a service wash, or you can do it yourself.
    Take your own powder and you can use some bleach if you want, goes in during the second wash.
    If there is a spin dryer, use that if the duvet will fit.
    Into the tumble dryer, make sure you pull it out and turn it round every 5 minutes or so and keep shaking it to break up the feather.
    If your weather is good, get it on the line but again keep turning it over and shaking it.
    If the feather are not fully dried, they can go a bit stinky.

Have fun.
    PS dry cleaning quotes are usually mega expensive and often they wash them anyway ;) otherwise the Perc fumes tend to linger.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Have just read your next post. I have a launderette and we wash loads of feather duvets.
    If it just has a cotton cover then it should be fine.
    Have a ring round and get some quotes for both washing and dry cleaning.
    What make is it?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • cannylass_2
    cannylass_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    hi twit,

yes it has a cotton cover and says it can be washed in launderette! brilliant, i will check out our local one for prices and hopefully get it thoroughly dry if this good weather continues(????);)
    i was sure it was dry clean only and have memories of trying to wash feather pillows with little success!!
    it is a fogarty btw.

thanks all for your help!!:D
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... ;)
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    if all else fails would hand washing in the bath help? ive only washed feather pillows before in my machine and they came up ok once dried and bashed about by me
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I've got a king size feather and down duvet. I took mine to the launderette, bung it in the machine, add a really small amount of detergent and leave it to work. Edited: Forgot to say, it cost me £4.00
    When I got it home, I hung it over the bannister to dry, gave it a good shake and turned it a couple of times.
    I had fully intended to take it back to the launderette the next day to finish in their tumble dryer, but there was no need.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Using a tumble drier is actually a good idea, because the feathers can stick together. Also, it helps to fluff the feathers up.
    I tried line drying a feather filled eiderdown and even though I kept shaking it, it still has lumps of feathers all stuck together.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't imaging why you can't wash it, after all the feathers would be in water anyway if they are duck feathers! you would need a large capacity machine to wash it and then tumble dry to fluff everything back up.
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My synthetic quilt survived one of my cats giving birth to 4 kittens on it:eek:
  • HypnoNu
    HypnoNu Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    You need to make sur eyou wash it in Biological washing powder/liquid though because that's the only things that kils the enzymes in cat wee which is what makes it smell, if they can still smell even a little wee on there then they'll go there again!

Unfortunately this is the voice of experience (we're now washing our living room rug in the bath...again!) :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure