PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 June 2009 at 6:36PM
    Options
    A double polyester duvet is £10-£15 to clean:I know that feather ones are more, but I'm not sure how much extra they add on - maybe another tenner?
    Edit - depends if they're going to wash or dry clean it, probably worth phoning up your local laundrette and asking, they tend to be cheaper than the high street dry cleaners.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • christineperseus
    Options
    My King-size one is on clothes horse in sunshine - wash it yourself!
    Down ones go down to nothing when wet.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can use Tesco clubcards if you collect for drycleaning.
    HTH
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I managed to fit my kingsize summer down duvet into the WM, so you might be able to do that. And as it was wet when I did it, it dried quite happily in the TD with a couple of tennis balls to make it fluffy. Handwashing in the bath is perfectly manageable, if a bit tedious. I have a friend with a large capacity WM who does my thicker duvets for me!

Otherwise it is definitely much cheaper to get it washed than replace it (and definitely wash, don't dry clean - they're washable, so why use all those nasty chemicals on them?). Make sure you air it well when it comes back. A quick check on google indicates that a feather double duvet will cost you about £15 depending on where you are.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    You´ll probably think I´m terribly dim, but I didn´t realise you could wash this type of duvet (polyester ones I knew about)
    I´ve looked on the duvet, but can´t see any washing instructions, so please can
    someone give me a clue, what cycle, what temperature, what spin speed (if any) fabric conditioner (yes or no).
    Any other hints re getting double duvet into domestic washing machine will be gratefully received.
    I live in Spain so getting the duvet dry won´t be a problem, temperstures out here at the moment are constantly in the high 90s.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Debenhams have an all-seasons down duvet for £24 if you're considering replacing it.

I think I'd have the existing one cleaned, unless you desperately need a new one :)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
    Right, I've got nothing to lose so I'll cram it into the machine and give it a go.
    well, I'll get hubby to as he's strong as an ox! :cool:

sandy2 - it says on mine to wash at 40 degrees.
    I think I do mine with a mild shampoo instead of detergent though, and no softener.

Never dry clean a feather duvet, the feathers trap the chemicals and when you start using it again, it could make you very ill as you inhale the chemicals............
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    Debenhams have an all-seasons down duvet for £24 if you're considering replacing it.

I think I'd have the existing one cleaned, unless you desperately need a new one :)

Freyasmum, I just spotted this, thanks, guess what - that's the duvet we have and it cost £30 when I bought it. It's the spare bed one.....
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    Hi, I did it! :cool:

It's come out ok, it's on the line now.
    It was too late by the time it finished last night to hang it out.
    Only thing I'd say although it's ok, I think if it were a much heavier filling it might damage the machine so bear it in mind?
    I don't think a king size one would fit in mine.....
    I put it on a very long programme at 40 degrees.

Thanks everybody!
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    Shoved mine in the washing machine too (feather KS) quite a sight!! Chuffed to bits that it worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport