PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• thisuseridistakenagain
    Options
    I'm a bath washer.... I thought everyone did that!!! lol
    great for the bum!!
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do all mine bar the winter kingsize in the machine at home, dry them on the line and give them a final 10 minutes in the TD with a couple of dryer balls (or you can use tennis balls) to get the clumps out if any have formed. I have a friend with a large capacity WM who does all the large duvets for most of her friends!
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I do mine in the bath too. It's usually too heavy to lift out at first so I raise it up by slipping a couple of up-turned buckets underneath so more water drains away.Fortunately we have two baths so I can leave it for a while.
  • debidoodle
    debidoodle Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Options
    I take mine to the launderette, ours have the big machines. Cost £3.60, bring it home and hang it on the line and then air for a few days.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,294 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    picklepick wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thanks for the replies
    I dont think it will fit in our machine, so i think ill look into taking it to a dry cleaners.

I once asked in Johnsons dry cleaners how much to clean a single duvet - you can buy them cheaper! Laundrette will be better.
  • Norman_Bean
    Options
    Morning!

My daughter wet the bed this morning and her feather duvet is drenched in wee :( Can I put it in the washing machine? If so what temp for killing wee germs but keeping feathers fluffy? I can't find any instructions on it.
    Should I dust off the tumble drier and tumble it after? :eek: I'm worried about the feathers being unfluffy after washing.

In pre-Martin times I've taken wee duvets to the dry cleaners but obviously I don't want to do that now I'm MSE!

Thanks for any advice

Norman x
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bless your wee girl, hope it didn't upset her.

I've just had a look at the label on our feather duvet and it says machine wash at 40ºC on a wool cycle, and cool tumble dry.

Hope that helps!
  • Norman_Bean
    Options
    Thanks angeltreats - the duvet cover and sheets have just finished so I'll pop the duvet in the machine now - totally breaks my 'only use machine at cheap rate and NEVER use the tumble' rule but hey ho!

Thank you also for your concern over little one - she's cool, just meant she got to come into bed with us. She was more upset about weeing on her prized snow white nightdress.

Your 'wee girl' comment made me laugh too :rotfl:

Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it x

Have a good day (well better than mine so far ;))

Norman x
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • sunflower76
    Options
    I've successfully washed and tumbled feather pillows so I'd imagine you'd be fine with a duvet. I would do a 40 wash and a long tumble.

The feathers n mine sometimes smell funny when they're drying - don't panic if they do but do give them a really good drying session.
  • cheeks
    cheeks Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this helps but i once had a feather filled coat and the label said to tumble dry it with some tennis balls in the drum. Aparrently the tennis balls make the feathers puff up, otherwise they tend to clump together.
    If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed back out?:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport