Cheap LCD TVs discussion

Options

Comments

• Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/sony/kdl32s5500/sony-kdl32s5500

£379, but only £369 if you are a VIP member (sign up free on site) - but better still, get John Lewis to price-match it with a free 5 year guarantee.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Dojo_2
    Dojo_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Argos have a Hitachi 32" HD ready digital TV for £271.89 catalogue no. 529/4529
  • sunnyd47
    sunnyd47 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Remember with all HD ready TVs, one of the most important factors to consider regarding picture quality is the contrast ratio. In my opinion, nothing less than 8,000-1 is worth buying as a main TV. The bigger the screen, the higher contrast ration needs to be.
    I saw a TV advertised on a shopping channel, allegedly, the first with a contrast ration of 1 million to 1, amazing viewing I should imagine.
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunnyd47 wrote: »
    Remember with all HD ready TVs, one of the most important factors to consider regarding picture quality is the contrast ratio. In my opinion, nothing less than 8,000-1 is worth buying as a main TV. The bigger the screen, the higher contrast ration needs to be.
    I saw a TV advertised on a shopping channel, allegedly, the first with a contrast ration of 1 million to 1, amazing viewing I should imagine.

If they were all tested useing the same 'test conditions' that would be usefull, however they are not & thus the written word in the broucher is next to useless, & often one with a lower contrast ratio may well be better than one with a 'so called' higher ratio.
    Nice to save.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunnyd47 wrote: »

Many manufacturers admit that contrast ratio is a meaningless numbers game. Panasonic, sony and samsung are moving away from giving a number to the contrast ratio because it is measured differently by everybody.

Panasonic now say "infinite black", sony don't really mention it much and samsung call it "mega/ultra/etc contrast ratio".

That being said, plasmas can give you contrast ratios in the "millions" because each pixel can turn itself off independently, as can LED backlit TVs.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32AV615DB-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0020HR6QM

Only £279.99 without the dvd player - great deal.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • storm3
    storm3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Monder wrote: »
    Please don't waste money on these ebuyer specials and brands that you have never heard of. When compared to proper TV manufacturers like the Panasonic, Samsung and Sony's of this world they are very poor indeed. You will regret not saving up the extra £70-£100 or so for a 32" LCD.

Remember it's not all about the specs and how they look on paper, it's how they perform audibly and visually in the real world.

We agree with you after buying a cheap Dual 32" from Ebuyer,went wrong very quickly & replacement also went wrong within a week!Eventually got all my money back,after alot of hassle on phone.Now brought a 32"Samsung from Argos for 349.99 only 40pounds more than the rubbish one!
    80934 Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    I bought this TV after reading this thread which said a 2 year warranty was included with the price. There is no information in the paperwork about a 2 year warranty and when we phoned the helpline number were told it is just a standard one year warranty.

Can anyone advise who to contact to have the original information updated, or if in fact I have been wrongly advised?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-LCD-HDTV
  • EmiliaAndBentley_2
    Options
    Need some help was looking for a tv about 40-42 orignally want lg425010 but missed it then wanted sony e4000 missed that lol
    I have decided now price wise and size wise i may drop down I have a biggish front room but to be honest when i do watch tv currently on a pink sony 20 lol
    im up fairly close and i have a one year old son who loves to play wit makka pakkas hand on the screen and look behind the tv to check they are not there
    I have found
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154998
    I know its a cheapy chinsese company but with 3 year warrenty until i get a fairly decent dream tv im thinking it will do
    I will buy tonight/tomorrow so any replies before would be greatful
  • samspain_2
    samspain_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Try T J Hughes available in-store if you ring round and see which store has them ,also available on-line (but run out). My son who seems to know his stuff bought one and so did I excellent graphics and 3 year guarantee if you register the set with Sony on-line
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport