Cheap LCD TVs discussion

Options

Comments

• dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2009 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Have you actually read and understood the page? The area code for all of London is 020 - there is no such dialling code as 0207, as the Wikipedia page clearly explains.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. you are the one who misunderstands :rolleyes:

Yes 020 is London, if it is followed by a 7 as in this case it is INNER LONDON, if followed by an 8 then it is OUTER LONDON. This was done some time ago to increase the number base 0207 replaced 0171 and 0208 replaced 0181. Prior to that London was just 01
    ac's lovechild
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    toyboy wrote: »
    Stolt, don't pay any attention to the contrast ratio, manufacturers all quote them and measure them in different ways, so they're meaniningless. One with an alleged contrast ratio of 1000:1 could actually have a better range of blacks than one with a ratio of 15,000:1

hi thanks, ok ive just seen a really big 50inch http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1350998823.1245447308@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadehidgeffjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=050409&category_oid=-31895
    too big for me but looks a great price.:D
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dc wrote: »
    Sorry, but you are incorrect. you are the one who misunderstands :rolleyes:

Yes 020 is London, if it is followed by a 7 as in this case it is INNER LONDON, if followed by an 8 then it is OUTER LONDON. This was done some time ago to increase the number base 0207 replaced 0171 and 0208 replaced 0181. Prior to that London was just 01
    You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?! Suggest that you go and read the Wikipedia page that I quoted, or any other authoritative source on number presentation (e.g., the ITU-T documentation).

The area code for London is 020. The local number for London is an 8 digit number, which (currently) begins with a 3, 7 or 8. There is NO geographical relationship between the first digit of the local number and the location - a local number beginning with 7 can be in either Inner or Outer London, as can a local number beginning with 3 or 8.

What defines the area code is that if you are anywhere in London, you can dial any other London number by dialling the 8 digit local number (for example, if you are calling from 020 71234567, you can call 020 81234567 by dialling 81234567 - you CANNOT dial 1234567). Presenting the number as 0207 1234567 is incorrect, meaningless and breaks the ITU-T rules on number presentation.

If you are calling from outside London, you need to prefix the number with the dialling code for London, which is 020 (just like it was 01 once upon a time).
    Philip
  • Dumbledore55
    Dumbledore55 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?! Suggest that you go and read the Wikipedia page that I quoted, or any other authoritative source on number presentation (e.g., the ITU-T documentation).

The area code for London is 020. The local number for London is an 8 digit number, which (currently) begins with a 3, 7 or 8. There is NO geographical relationship between the first digit of the local number and the location - a local number beginning with 7 can be in either Inner or Outer London, as can a local number beginning with 3 or 8.

What defines the area code is that if you are anywhere in London, you can dial any other London number by dialling the 8 digit local number (for example, if you are calling from 020 71234567, you can call 020 81234567 by dialling 81234567 - you CANNOT dial 1234567). Presenting the number as 0207 1234567 is incorrect, meaningless and breaks the ITU-T rules on number presentation.

If you are calling from outside London, you need to prefix the number with the dialling code for London, which is 020 (just like it was 01 once upon a time).

Sorry to sound rude but this thred is about cheap TVs not dialling codes - who cares about the codes?
  • JoolzS
    JoolzS Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to sound rude but this thred is about cheap TVs not dialling codes - who cares about the codes?
    I do!

I live in Southampton which was given a new dialling code of 023 a couple of years ago. That 023 was followed by an 80 (added to the old six digit phone number) so all phone numbers in Southampton are now 023 80123456.

If I get a flyer on my doorstep that says the phone number is now 02380 123456 I simply presume that the owner of the company is a moron and I don't want anything to do with h/ir. I don't want to deal with anyone who is too stupid to understand the telephone.

Codes are important!

Julie
  • Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    ....zzzZZZ
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Argos Hitachi 42" full HD is back on at amazing £399
    link here
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • NOWSE
    NOWSE Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Argos Hitachi 42" full HD is back on at amazing £399
    link here

It might be a good price but what I want to know is, "is it any good?"

I bought one of these sets from Argos a couple of days ago & I haven't opened the box yet. Some of the reviews are not very good. They talk about motion blur & wishey washey colours, with poor SD pictures.

As I see it I've got another 26 days to decide if I want to keep it. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for anything else that may come along. I've seen too many HD tellies with really substandard pictures but people are willing to be convinced that this is an improvement on SD sets.

I'm looking for a 42" set for less than £700 if anyone has any suggestions.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're looking for a big TV with a good quality picture for a reasonable price, I haven't been able to beat this one. Delivery within 72 hours and includes a free glass stand and HD lead.

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=4293&referrer=kelkoo&source=kelkoo

Dumbledore did you actually buy this? All sounds good, but I wonder what their service was like...and the TV come to that!
    rgds
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    NOWSE wrote: »
    It might be a good price but what I want to know is, "is it any good?"

I bought one of these sets from Argos a couple of days ago & I haven't opened the box yet. Some of the reviews are not very good. They talk about motion blur & wishey washey colours, with poor SD pictures.

As I see it I've got another 26 days to decide if I want to keep it. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for anything else that may come along. I've seen too many HD tellies with really substandard pictures but people are willing to be convinced that this is an improvement on SD sets.

I'm looking for a 42" set for less than £700 if anyone has any suggestions.

Is it not possible to unpack it carefully enough to try it?

Anyway this one on Ebuyer looks promising, limited reviewers so far but detailed. 42" HD TV £499 inc shipping.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport