PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February is 'use up' month

Options

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Oh yes.. I am currently washing my way through 12 lush soaps.. how long do those things last!!!!

I know what you mean! The other week I was looking through the Lush Times, dreaming about all the things I'd like to buy - when I realised I have loads of Lush stuff given me as presents that I've not used. I don't know what special occasion I thought I was saving them for!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    im the same, i just will not throw anything away and things hang around for years sometimes before they are used up. my problem is shower gel...every year i get loadsss of it for crimbo, do i smell? are they trying to tell me something? :confused: over the years i have collected probably about 20 odd bottles of the stuff :o ....

Oh yes I can relate to that! I often get those little sets of bath stuff for presents - I use the shower gel and the body lotion, but the 'scrub' never seems to go! I have lots of it. Have now told myself that exfoliation is a good practice and when I recently received a pair of those bath gloves (they are trying to tell me something too, I guess!) I am now getting into the scrubbing habit. Only because I can't throw the stuff away!

Otherwise OH always realises too late that there was still a nearly-finished jar/bottle/packet of something just after he opened the new one. I never say anything, just wait till there is enough space to decant the old leftover into the newly opened receptacle.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • ELIZA_D
    ELIZA_D Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    we were told by a guy in the know that colemans make a huge % of their profit by the fact that people never finish the mustard to the end!
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Options
    When I've scraped all that's humanly possible out of the mustard jar I use it to make salad dressing in - some oil, some vinegar, a little sugar ... and a good shake! the mustard gives it a lovely kick
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the mustard thing was that people always leave a blob of it on the side of their plate when they've finished eating.

I don't though, 'cos I don't like the stuff.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Stephen_Leak
    Options
    ELIZA_D wrote: »
    we were told by a guy in the know that colemans make a huge % of their profit by the fact that people never finish the mustard to the end!

I try to deliberately underestimate things like tomato sauce, brown sauce and mustard, as I can always add a little bit more if required.

I even clean out the "empty" mustard jar with a bit of steak or sausage on a fork. Tomato and brown sauce bottles are alway finished off upside down and the last bit retrieved from the inside of the top.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    I am glad that I am not the only person who cuts moisturers, cleansers, soaps in half in order to use the last drop.

When I cook I also put water in tins and glass jars and then shake it in order to get the last bit out.

I also feel really satisfied when I can use it until the last drop.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

PS. Does anyone else suck water up into the "empty" washing-up liquid bottle to wash the last molecule out?

Yes and I decanter in to old hand wash pump to make sure that we don't use to much.

I also do that with shower gel bottles not the decant but the suck up water thing.

All shampoo/conditioner bottles when they come towards the end are up ended to get it all out.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's why I love soup...you can chuck just about anything savoury you've got lurking into some new and wonderful concoction and it's generally just so forgiving. My latest is to freeze the leftover gravy from any SC meal and then turn into soup at a later date.
    My son actually asks for the peg to squeeze out the last bit of the toothpaste...perhaps I've trained him a little too well:D
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • fluffalo
    Options
    I like using things up, too. My bath products problem is my husband - he gets lots of stuff as gifts, but there is only one type he really likes. Unfortunately, he often opens things and tries them once or twice before he decides he doesn't like them, so I can't give them away. So I end up using these 'manly' smelling products myself.

My other problem is hairspray - I had to buy some for a charcoal drawing class I was taking, but there was some left over so I have been using it on my hair just because it is there and I can't make myself throw it out even though I normally never use hairspray. How sad is that?! :o If anyone has ideas for other uses.. I don't intend to draw with charcoal again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure