The £2.00 Coin Savers Club

Comments

• My daughter gave me a money saving tin for mother's day last year. It was the size of a tin of baked beans and could only be opened with a tin opener. By Christmas it was full and it had £198 in it which was great for the Christmas shopping. We have started again with a bigger tin, but we are mixing other coins in as well. That is because we got so sad last year that we kept weighing the tin to work out how much it contained, so it was no surprise when it was opened. This year I want a surprise, hence the mixed coins.

Oh dear....getting very crazy - you have no idea how exciting it is to get £2 coin in the change, or even better finding one in my OH's change and nabbing it for the jar.
    No idea how many £2 coins as they are in a big tin.....but at least £20 since Christmas. :j
  • thyme_2
    thyme_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi,

LoL why didn't you email me at dawn this morning! I spent the one and only since I don't know when this morning going shopping :)

I might just start that too - I only save brownies and 20s and other silver coins! So that only leaves the 1.00.

Any 1 for a squids club?
    2.00 COIN CLUB = £36.00 :wave: ! :think: [/SIZE]

"It is a fool's life laying up treasures which moths and rust will corrupt and thieves break up and steal"
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    I wrote a post about this today, I have a Turin which has to be smashed, I have been saving £2 coins in it for 5 years, its not quite full yet. No idea how much is in there.

My husband gets cross with me for always pinching his £2 coins. One day he came home with change from a £20 note all in £2 coins. He told me in no uncertain terms not to touch it! Took lots of will power, have even been known to rob the childrens piggy banks if they have £2 coins in there.

I am hoping that when its eventually full that I will have enough money to buy a wireless music system for thoughout the house. I think it will probably be at least a year before its full and hopefully by then the wireless music technology will have improved by then.
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • kazd
    Can I join too? We bought one of those terramundi (spelling?) things that you put the money in but have to break it to get the money out! We've got about £30 so far since the start of January. Often, if I've not had a £2 coin for a while, when I break a tenner or get change back I ask for one in the change (!) just to feel like I'm always contributing. Then the next day I get 3 in one go and I'm like - NOOOOO!!!!! :eek: - but do I put them all in. If I'm being REALLY strict I probably would, well, maybe keep one back... ;)

Worked out that pot thing can hold £200 of mixed silver so we think it'll hold about a grand of £2 coins :S - might reach that by 2020 at this rate :D

CP

Thats exactly what I have although for some reason I always call it a Turin. I must admit thats about the figure I came up with. Guess mine will be full before yours as I have been saving in it for 5 years.

• kazd
    wizard3891 wrote:
    a bloke i work with has nearly £14000 in £2 coins. Hes been at it for 3 or 4 years. I wonder if anyone here can beat that lol

5 years but no idea how much I have, see above post.

• Midmac
    Midmac Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    I need help :D

If i save coinage i always end up breaking into my £5 £10 and £20 notes.

So im sure i dont actually save anything :confused:
    :j Midmac Aka Crazy baby :j
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    I have also bought myself one of those large Tins - and looking forward to getting it!!

Even more, looking forward to opening it when its full (and that is likely to take a few years!!)
  • Doh! I'll have to weigh my terramundi cos' I'll soon lose track how much I've got in it...and the only way to tell is to break it :eek:

I use a terramundi too-got one for Christmas.....I put all my £2 coins in there along with £1 coins and 50ps I have left over from my £30 personal spending budget each week. Will be great if I can get £1000 in it but might have to move it from my windowsill :D
    Getting Married 19/02/11
  • kazd
    Mine used to be on a display shelf in my kitchen, its is so heavy now that I have moved it to the windowsill.

• melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have a perfect jar to put things in, but sadly after raiding my wallet and bag, down sofa etc etc, i don't have a £2 coin to start! will have to work harder on this.
    thanks for the great idea!
    :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family