DFW running club mark 2!! ALL ARE WELCOME!!!

Options

Comments

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    becky_rtw wrote: »
    Thanks Hypno :D I am about to collapse any moment now for a long sleep ;)

Just to SimplyCynical - please please dont do the run/walk method...its asking for injuries - its important to start any running plan with a solid foundation of walking (say 4-6 weeks) in order to build up the muscles and bone density for the stripping that happens when you start running. Once you've reached that stage then you should run for as long as you can and then if you have to stop - walk the rest of the distance.

It may seem like go backwards to get started but honestly it helps prevent injuries and helps you progress faster - I've gone from not running in June 2008 to my first race today at 10 miles - thats in 7 months so its totally possible to progress very quickly once you've got a good base under your belt :D

Sorry I'm really tired so if that seems bossy - its not meant to be!

Rich has just left to go back to home so he'll hopefully be on for a few hours in the evening to explain in more detail :D

Does that mean me too? I know you said to simplycynical, but I am very new to running (as haven't ever really done it ever) so was going to do the walk 2 mins run one(hopefully) is that ok?

and well done on all the running. feel very stationary in comparision!

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ukevas wrote: »
    I had a slight incline next to finsbury park... no doubt the locals call it a mountain mind, :rolleyes:

But I powered up it in double time. just the problem with the ladies makeing me run faster ( they where out at 6.30am on a sunday?? )... normaly the only thing I have to impress are sheep and the odd badger :rotfl: .

There are some surprising hills in that general area. Alexandra Palace about 4 miles away is where all the serious runners go for hill work. I run quite a bit in Enfield which has its fair share of hills too.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • Ukevas
    Ukevas Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Enfield must be nice to run in :D . bit more out of town. im sure I seen a nice river around there when i went once.?? im also sure i even seen Montoya of F1 fame walking down the main road as well.... anyway. :rolleyes:

I know about AP and if I get onto a 10m route and im in London i fully expect to include that location in it as I like a good hill climb. :T
    Cabbage Patch 09 - 10m - 1hr 06m
    Leicester 09 -1/2 - 1h 26m
    Athens 09 - Marathon - 3hr 51m

DFW Running Club - Facebook Page

• becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah shame Alexandra Palace is a pain to get to - I could do with some serious hills actually for hill intervals, somehow Hyde Park doesnt quite cut it ;)
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    Does that mean me too? I know you said to simplycynical, but I am very new to running (as haven't ever really done it ever) so was going to do the walk 2 mins run one(hopefully) is that ok?

and well done on all the running. feel very stationary in comparision!

xx

Hi Buffy!

I personally wouldnt recommend that method...running causes microscopic tears in the muscles which are fine when you are running and warm, but when you are stopping and starting then the tears can easily become bigger (running on cold muscles exaggerates this) and cause you injuries...

In addition, run/walk means you are 'running' quite long distances and this reduces bone density - which is fine and totally natural - but if you dont have the general fitness to cope with that then you may get shin splints - which are pretty painful and totally avoidable when starting running.

I know a lot of programs advocate the run/walk method though - but to give you an idea - I couldn't run to end of the street on June 16th when I started running and now I can run 14 miles - I did this by the walking first method. Rich's progress using the same method has also been phenomenal. If you feel comfortable doing run/walk then do it - but please be very careful in the first weeks and take it very easy.

Sorry if that isnt any clearer - I do waffle :D:rolleyes:
  • Simplycynical
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Becky but, oops, I hit the treadmill before I read your post. :o

I started off on a 1.5 incline at a speed of 6.5 for 30 mins (with the thought that I could slow if I needed to); although my legs were sluggish for the first 5 minutes I soon settled and found the pace to be be comfortable. I upped the speed to 7 for the last 7 1/2 minutes and felt as though I could have carried on for longer.

So I managed a pleasing 3.31 miles in 30 minutes. I'm happy with that and will just do a 30 minute brisk walk tomorrow.
    2021 MFW No.18  £9900/£10,000
    Mortgage at 21.07.20 £178,999   Mortgage today £150,891
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    Hey simply - my advice is merely that - advice - everyone works differently so do whats right for you :D - I'm a relative newbie to running anyway (I just sponge info from Rich and repeat and look like I know what I'm talking about ;))

But that is some good running :D - you should be fine to run longer distances if you pulling out that sort of stuff already! :D
  • Bexterragga
    Options
    Hey Bex - I was wondering where you'd got too :D

Oooo I'm sooo jealous I've been wanting to have my eyes down for ages :o:o:o, not very mse but so important :D

Great to hear you've started training again - good luck nd if you need any help give one of us a shout...

Okay sorry any newbies I havent answered specifically, but you all came at once - Rich's turn later :D, but special hi to Buffy :D:D:D, good to see you sweeite :j:j:j

Hey Becky,

Im so glad I had my eyes done, PM me if you want to know anything about it, I'll give you all the gory details!

This is just an open question to everybody - how do you keep going in a psychological sense? I find that I could probably keep running for a lot longer than I do, but I get bored. Any ideas!

Hi to all the new runners - you will get a wealth of information on this board! :D
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    I think the gory details may put me off ;) Its okay I wont be able to do it this year sadly :(

I'm sorry to say I'm with Paula R on this - I count :D, I also listen to music and sing along (on slow runs), think about work - I write copy for part of my job so I'll do rough drafts on longer runs and just generally about how I'm going to feel crossing the line in April (this works very well when I want to quit)...and a million other things that all help me zone out from the running completely - there's a thread on runners world forums about this too...let me go and dig it out...

EDIT: Ah here we go:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/134329/

Actually there are a few threads on it - I wonder if treadmillers get more bored than outdoor runners??
  • christhesparky_2
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Its great you want to start running again :D, I'm on post race glow and am loving it :D:D

An aim for a race is fantastic because it really focuses the mind and puts an end point on the training - so thats really good that have two in mind because you can work towards the first and then keeping going towards the second.

I guess from your post you havent done a lot of running yet to get back into shape? If you let us know the dates/how many days a week you want to run/target times etc we can look at some specifics for you

My tips would be:
    1. run for as long as you as slowly as you need to - this builds endurance without killing you and helps you get to the magic number 4
    2. 4 miles is endorphin release point - so this is your training target distance - it makes running fun and if you regularly run 4 miles in training you will be able to complete 5k with some to spare
    3. Run 3 times a week to start with, but try to make one run longer than the other two - this builds into your long run when your training for 10k and longer distances

An questions re: shoes, kit, technical e.g. oxygen debt and VO2 max - Rich is your man :D:D

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
    started 3 days a week on the treadmill, once i get a few weeks in intend to start hitting the road, 5k is on march 29, whereas 10k is not until september, no particular target time for the 5k, just thought it would be good to get around without walking!
    For the 10k I would love to get under the hour mark, but as long as its under 1:07:00 I will be happy as I will have beaten my PB from the last 10k I did (with virtually no training if im honest)
    Last Cigarette 24/6/09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport