Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 5:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.2K views

Replies

• Happyroly wrote: »
    Advice please - I am intending to buy the River Cottage book BUT if you were only allowed to have one book on preserves which one would you choose/recommend?
    Thank you.

When I was 14 I decided preserving was my hobby and it still is
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • floydfloyd Forumite
    2.7K posts
    LBT wrote: »
    Thank you for all this - that's great. Are the waxed discs for keeping the jams fresh?

Generally speaking, you only need to use waxed disks if you cover your jars with cellophane and a rubber band as it isnt airtight so needs a second line of defence to stop mold spores growing.
    If you use glass jars with metal screw top lids then you don't need wax disks as well because putting hot preserve into a hot jar will form a vacuum when the jar cools down so less chance of mold growing.

Also, you can't use cellophane and wax circles for chutney as the vinegar evaporates (tip from Thriftmonster on another thread) :D
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks floyd - so it sounds like jars with proper lids are the way to go. Do you buy muslin squares or is there a cheaper alternative? They are sold for just under £5 for one at Lakeland!!!!

Also, for anyone who is as much of a novice as I am, you might like to look at the tips and recipes for jam making on the lakeland website - click here, or for Delia's ten point plan, click here

On reading these, it should help to avoid some of the common problems that can occur :)
  • floydfloyd Forumite
    2.7K posts
    In the past I bought 3 from EBay but can't seem to find the same seller with any products up (Compassion-At-The-Plate was the person I used). They ones I bought from them were lovely hemmed large-size cloths that washed really well.
    I also tried the lakeland ones that Delia recommends where you get 10 for around £5 http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/muslin/product/7011 they are smaller and the edges fray very slightly but they do the job.
    Does anyone know if the white muslin squares sold in Mothercare can be used for the same purpose? They are much larger and washable
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Rosieben - the blackberry ketchup recipe I just got by googling it - due to major surplus of blackberries from a friend.

The blackberry chutney came from a 1970s WI Book of Preserves and Pickles which I found in Bargain Books in the mid 90s - it has a green cover with a still life on the front - ISBN 1 85152 618 8 - first published as "Preserves and Preserving" in 1978. It is my bible for preserving as it covers jams, jellies, marmalades, curds,chutneys, relishes, sauces, vinegars,freezing, bottling, pickling, drying, salting and crystallising.

lbt - the onion relish is adapted from one in this book - but bears very little resemblance to the original now.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I was eating my breakfast toast with HG anf HM cherry jam, I was wondering if that's on here, and I can't see it :D

I picked Morello cherries in July and made this jam ;) I'm considering making some this year with the addition of the cherry brandy DH picked up in a Schipol stop-over :beer:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    This intrigues me?

Is jam,marmalade and chutneys easy to make?
    how long they keep in jars?
    as for do they have to be glass?
    iea had some cheapish ones with clasp top would they be ok?
    wheres best to find recipes?

Say I made lots of berry jams in july/august and sept when they in season would they keep as xmas presents?
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If the jars are clean and sterilised they should keep for years - in fact there was a thread about how vintage some of the stuff we were still eating was - we're still eating crab apple jelly from 2000 (last jar) and it's fine.

Any pasta sauce jar, mayo jar etc is fine as long as the lid has a plastic coating over the metal on the inside. If you want to give chutneys as pressies for Christmas you would need to make them at least 2 months in advance as they have to mature - freshly made chutney is vile.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, on saying that we made spiced plum chutney and ate it straight away and it was absolutely fab. No doubt if we'd kept it longer it would have been even better lol.

I warmed my glass jars (old jam/chutney jars) in the oven before filling with the hot chutney. Fill to the top and once you put the lid on, it creates a vacuum seal, like shop bought ones. It will keep for years like thriftmonster said.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gailey check out our Complete Jams, Chutney and Other Preserves Collection I think you'll find answers to all your questions there ;)

Jams made in the summer will certainly last until Christmas and beyond.

This thread will be useful for recipe books. There are loads of recipes on the internet.