Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 4:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.4K views

Replies

• I bought a huge stockpot from Ikea instead of a dedicated preserving pan from Lakeland as it was about 1/2 the price. It does the job as well as any other pan I've known so if you've got an Ikea near to you it may be worth a trip there first.
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my rough calendar (see notes at end) ...

thriftmonster, any chance of the blackberry chutney and blackberry ketchup recipes please, or a clue where we can find them tia ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked on the BBC good food website? it may be there.
    Good idea BB :T I haven't found the exact recipe but have found a dried apricot and ginger one which sounds good.

Sandy2 I haven't tried it yet but this is how you make a Seville Orange Liqueur according to The River Cottage Preserves Handbook;)

Imperial girls (and boys) I'm afraid quantities are in metric.

To make a litre you need 300 ml of juice squeezed from seville oranges (about 1 kg of oranges), 600ml rum or brandy. you will also need the zest of an orange , 1 tsp of nutmeg and 300g of sugar.

Mix everything except the sugar together in a jar with a wide neck (one of those Le Parfait jars is ideal). Seal the jar and leave somewhere cool and dark for 7-10 days.

Pour the mixture into a pan and add the sugar. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar. Obviously don't let it boil or all the alcohol will burn off. When the sugar has dissolved strain the whole lot through a jelly bag ot a muslin lined sieve.

Transfer the liqueur into a sterilised bottle and seal with a cap.

Sterilise the bottle by washing well and putting in a 100 degree oven for about 10 mins or put it through a dishwasher cycle.

Store for several months to allow the liqueur to mature. Use within 2 years.
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    Onion Relish

4lbs onions, peeled and finely chopped
    2pts vinegar (malt is fine)
    1tbsp mustard seeds
    2tsp mustard powder
    8oz sultanas
    1lb sugar
    1tbsp salt

Put the onions and half the vinegar in a preserving pan, add the mustard seeds and simmer till soft. Mix the dry mustard to a paste with some of the remaining vinegar and add with all the other ingredients to the pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar and then simmer till thick. Pot into hot jars. Keep for at least 6 weeks before using.

This is nice with cold meat or cheese - but my sister likes it smeared onto hot corn on the cob as a lower fat alternative to butter.

Thanks TM - this sounds delicious - I will definitely give it a go. In fact this will be my first attempt at anything like this!!! I like the sound of trying marmalade too.

May I ask which book this came from? It seems that the WI one and the River Cottage ones appear to be the most popular (from reading the other thread).

• Thriftlady wrote: »
    Steerpike the apples will be good made into chutney;) Jelly is a fairly effortless option because you don't need to peel and core them. Use your recipe for crab apple jelly. We eat this on toast at breakfast or as an accompaniment to roast pork. It is also good brushed on pork chops or added to marinades for pork or sausages-anything that tastes good with apple really. I often put a spoonful in gravy. Add herbs to it -sage, rosemary, mint, thyme.

Thank you for the inspiration Thriftlady! - I'm going to give it a go ! I'll go with the rosemary as thats the only herb thats not died off over winter ;)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's wonderful to see what a lot of interest in preserving there is:j

I certainly find it one of the most satisfying things to do. Homemade preserves bring a touch of luxury to everyday foods like nothing else.

It isn't just about making jam and chutney, there are all those delicious liqueurs, cordials, syrups, sauces, ketchups and relishes too not to mention things like seasoned salt and sugar, herb vinegars, dried herbs, potted meats and fish, vegetables preserved in oil.

The best thing is that you can't buy this stuff in a shop. Even those posh chutneys you see in farmshops selling for about £3-4 are not as good as homemade ones. Think of the savings!
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    I am pretty keen on giving home made things as presents too. We gave home made chocolates to friends and teachers at Christmas and they were appreciated far more than I expected.

I am early thirties with two young children - my friends take the mickey saying that I am turning into an anorak!!!! Charming :D
  • This thread is perfect for me. I've been saving my jars or a while now and eager to start! However my 100 day challenge is to buy no books so I'll have to wait for my birthday for the river cottage book or pop to the library. Thankyou
    LBM 10/08 £12510.74/
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got 2 preserving pans from someone on freecycle a couple of years ago. I then asked on freecycle for any unwanted fruit/veg from gardens/allotments and found someone with several plum trees on an allotment by me and a lady with lots of green tomatoes that she had planted too late. I made a spiced plum chutney and a green tomato chutney which was the first time I'd made anything like that and couldnt believe how well they turned out.

My MIL keeps giving me empty jam jars and lids now (also got a load on freecycle) in an attempt to get me to make more. Think I'll do a red onion marmalade soon, thanks for the thread x
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks tiff.

I have just given some things away on freecycle so I have posted to see if anyone has a preserving pan or any other jam making equipment, so fingers crossed :)

I was looking at the one in the new Lakeland catalogue, but it's a lot of money to pay when I haven't tried it yet. For now, I'll have to stick with my steamer pan - it's huge.

Ooh, just thought ... my breadmaker has a jam making function. Anyone tried it on the MR fastbake?