Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 4:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.2K views

Replies

• hi folks - after success in my first lot of preserving last year (blackberry jam) I want to have a go at more this year.
    Now, I know seville oranges are in the shops at the moment, but can I freeze them and use them later? The reason I'm asking is that I'm going into hospital next week, and will be out of action for a few weeks, by which time s*ds law says the oranges will be gone!
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Steerpike - I'm glad I'm not the only one with elderberry and clove cordial - my kids think I'm evil but it really does work.

Yes you can freeze oranges but you will need about 10% extra for the recipe
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steerpike the apples will be good made into chutney;) Jelly is a fairly effortless option because you don't need to peel and core them. Use your recipe for crab apple jelly. We eat this on toast at breakfast or as an accompaniment to roast pork. It is also good brushed on pork chops or added to marinades for pork or sausages-anything that tastes good with apple really. I often put a spoonful in gravy. Add herbs to it -sage, rosemary, mint, thyme.
  • Thanks for the advice/recommendations, I will get the River Cottage one and keep my eye out for the others mentioned.
    I had a look in the library and charity shop this morning but didn't find any book dedicated to preserves.
  • Thanks for starting this thread Thriftlady, it will will remind me what I'm meant to be doing
    I freeze my oranges so I can make mamalade during half term.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    I have never made any preserves before and I'd love to give it a go - particularly a red onion relish or something similar.

Where do you all buy your supplies from? Lakeland have lots of lovely things but I don't want to buy anything I don't need. What are the basics that I will need?

• lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    Thriftmonster, would it be possible for you to post your onion relish recipe if you have a free minute? I want to start with a tried and tested recipe. :)
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LBT wrote: »
    Where do you all buy your supplies from? Lakeland have lots of lovely things but I don't want to buy anything I don't need. What are the basics that I will need?

Well, a preserving pan is great to have if you're going to do a lot of preserving but you can get away with using a very large saucepan.It does need to be large though because boiling jam needs a lot of room.

If you want to make jellies than a jelly bag and stand makes life easy unless you want to faff about with upturned chairs and cloths.

Other than that you just need a supply of jars -reuse them, lids-likewise and waxed discs which you can get from Lakeland or other kitchen shops. Get some sticky labels for labelling your finished preserve with date and contents.

I find a jam funnel useful for filling pots with minimum mess.
  • Baileys_BabeBaileys_Babe Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this thread. I have done a little preserving in the past but would like to do a lot more. We get through masses of jam, chutney & marmalade and this should help with my grocery budget as well as giving as a sense of well being at providing good food for friends & family. I will not be making marmalade, even though I have in the past as DP's father makes this and always ensures we are well stocked up, even loving providing enough for my sisters family. He also makes chutney but the supply is spasmodic so I would like to completment this with some of my own. I do make lemon curd, but I would like to find some other things to use lemons for, any suggestions. I'm hoping to make surplus so I can use these in present hampers. Love the idea of making preserves from tinned/dried/frozen fruit and veg. Then I can organise my time more efficently.
  • Baileys_BabeBaileys_Babe Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    I used to have a fantastic recipe for chutney made from dried apricots, red onions and mustard seeds which I got from the BBC Good Food mag years ago. Wish I still had it.

Have you looked on the BBC good food website? it may be there.