Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 4:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.2K views

Replies

• Baileys_BabeBaileys_Babe Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    *zippy* wrote: »
    I bought Marguerite Patten's The Basic Basics Jams, Preserves and Chutneys, seems a good all rounder for a beginner like myself.
    I Borrowed the river cottage preserves book from the library last week and there were some nice recipes in it so will probably buy that one too.

I've borrowed both of these from the library and have yet to decide if which one to buy or both - with my Christmas money.
  • scuzzscuzz Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget pickled red cabbage and pickled onions.
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • wigglywiggly Forumite
    292 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    this is a fantastic thread!

I love making jam and chutneys - my favourite was a strawberry and champagne jam (though it used cava or that would be a waste of champers!)
    Trying to get on top of finances one step at a time
  • sandy2_2sandy2_2 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    January –Seville oranges, apples (cookers and eaters), forced pink rhubarb.
    Make marmalade. You can also make a liqueur with the juice of Seville oranges, brandy and sugar. Chutney can be made with the apples, winter veg and dried fruits.

Thriftlady, would you share orange liqueur recipe please. Tried googling, but could only find one which also used glycerine
  • mrssnowy_2mrssnowy_2 Forumite
    403 posts
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of books,Complete book of Preserves and Pickles by Catherine Atkinson and Maggie Mayhew also WI jams pickles book.
    Plus a very scrappy Womans Realm pull out from 1982!!a real little 'bible'- and my Mum who is a fount of all knowledge.
    I have arthritic hands so always pressure cook Seville oranges whole,thus making them easier to shred,find that marmalade is lovely and clear.
    Never buy jars as word has got round and there is often a bag of jars left on the doorstep or in work!!!
    I do buy lids from Lakeland tho'-look tidy when selling on stalls.

Useful tip,pencil on recipes any alterations that you think will improve it or you have done -I never remember the next time till I've made a cuckoo of it.(doubling quantities,less/more chilli or spice ,extra liquid,etc)sure you've all been there.
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • lbt_2lbt_2 Forumite
    565 posts
    ✭✭
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    Well, a preserving pan is great to have if you're going to do a lot of preserving but you can get away with using a very large saucepan.It does need to be large though because boiling jam needs a lot of room.

If you want to make jellies than a jelly bag and stand makes life easy unless you want to faff about with upturned chairs and cloths.

Other than that you just need a supply of jars -reuse them, lids-likewise and waxed discs which you can get from Lakeland or other kitchen shops. Get some sticky labels for labelling your finished preserve with date and contents.

I find a jam funnel useful for filling pots with minimum mess.

Thank you for all this - that's great. Are the waxed discs for keeping the jams fresh?
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Onion Relish

4lbs onions, peeled and finely chopped
    2pts vinegar (malt is fine)
    1tbsp mustard seeds
    2tsp mustard powder
    8oz sultanas
    1lb sugar
    1tbsp salt

Put the onions and half the vinegar in a preserving pan, add the mustard seeds and simmer till soft. Mix the dry mustard to a paste with some of the remaining vinegar and add with all the other ingredients to the pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar and then simmer till thick. Pot into hot jars. Keep for at least 6 weeks before using.

This is nice with cold meat or cheese - but my sister likes it smeared onto hot corn on the cob as a lower fat alternative to butter.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    :D what is Pontack sauce?

Pontac's Sauce is made with elderberries - it is a Worcestershire Sauce type of a thing ie quite spicey and very liquid, used for flavouring -
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 quart (ie 2 pints) ripe elderberries, off the stalk
    half pint vinegar (any type)
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 shallots chopped very fine (I use 1 medium onion)
    6 cloves
    20 black peppercorns
    2 inches of root ginger

Put the berries in an ovenproof dish (pyrex is good as no danger of staining) with the vinegar and cook for 30 minutes at the bottom of a warm oven (250F,121C, gas mark half) then turn oven off and leave overnight.
    Strain off the juice into a pan, add all the other ingredients and boil for 10 minutes, then strain through a sieve and bottle.

This is a flavouring sauce, in the style of Worcestershire Sauce, and can be used at once although it does improve with age and will keep for years.

Eliza Acton suggests that it is good with fish, and it is also nice added to a pan of frying liver.
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    chazbee wrote: »
    hi folks - after success in my first lot of preserving last year (blackberry jam) I want to have a go at more this year.
    Now, I know seville oranges are in the shops at the moment, but can I freeze them and use them later? The reason I'm asking is that I'm going into hospital next week, and will be out of action for a few weeks, by which time s*ds law says the oranges will be gone!

The great thing about freezing Seville oranges is that when they are defrosted the skin has gone all soft so they are much easier to cut up and process.
    If I use frozen oranges (defrosted) for marmalade than I add half the amount of liquid suggested in the recipe because you won't need to cook for as long - I just give it 20 - 30 minutes before adding the sugar and boiling to a set.