Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Preserver's Year - Page 170

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Preserver's Year

edited 7 July 2015 at 4:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 229.4K views
1164165166167168170»

Replies

• SallygirlSallygirl Forumite
    108 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    arwenelf77 what is fire cider please? And is it a cider to drink? Thanks : )
    108 posts
    wow that is impressive!!! I will have a look out for that book thank you.  I have pickled some onions and cabbage and made fire cider so far but visited the parks this afternoon and have a load of elderberries so will be making cold and flu syrup with those!
    What is fire cider please?

• C_JC_J Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh I have filled-glass-preserving-jar envy, Si!  Thank you for the info on the book you use, I’ve just ordered myself one for £2.50 from eBay.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Si_Clist, that cupboard is impressive.  Thank you for the details about “the book”.  I will look for it.  Most of my preserving knowledge comes from reading the companion book to Yorkshire Television’s Farmhouse Kitchen.  It’s always the first place I check, followed by Marguerite Patton’s preserving book.

If I grow enough tomatoes, I’d like to try bottling home-made tomato sauce.  It won’t happen this year - despite growing five tomatoes, I reckon I’ll get fewer than last year’s haul from one plant.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 51/66 coupons spent. 15 remain.
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening All

This week feels like I’ve been running to catch up.  I’ve just spent 2.5 hours making Rose Hip Jelly, after processing the hips in two batches.  (I froze the juice from the first batch for a couple of weeks and did the second batch on Monday.). 2.5 litres of juice and 1.9kg of caster sugar plus a huge amount of stirring later...and this is the result:-

As usual, I’m worrying that the damn stuff won’t set.  However, as advised by my “Jam Aunties” here on MSE, I boiled it all for over 10 minutes before testing for set AND I used my sugar thermometer, with it’s jam marking (which it took forever to reach).  I’m certain that cooled jelly was set on the side of the preserving pan (aka my pressure cooker)  before I washed it up, but I still worry.  This is only the 7th or 8th time I’ve ever made jam or jelly.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sallygirl said:
    arwenelf77 what is fire cider please? And is it a cider to drink? Thanks : )
    Fire cider is a concoction of organic apple cider vinegar, garlic, spices and herbs left to sit for a few weeks before straining the liquid into sterilised bottles. You take a spoonful every day during the winter months to ward off ills, and up the dosage if you are unwell. I have never made it myself but there will be lots of recipes online. 
    One life - your life - live it!
    108 posts
    Oh fire cider sounds interesting! Thank you Nargleblast. I shall look into this. I must admit l like a teaspoon of my homemade apple vinegar in a glass of water. If it is doing me good then l shall keep that up while l investigate fire cider : )
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the "fire" bit comes from the fact it contains chillis. Ouch!
    One life - your life - live it!
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening All

This week feels like I’ve been running to catch up.  I’ve just spent 2.5 hours making Rose Hip Jelly, after processing the hips in two batches.  (I froze the juice from the first batch for a couple of weeks and did the second batch on Monday.). 2.5 litres of juice and 1.9kg of caster sugar plus a huge amount of stirring later...and this is the result:-

As usual, I’m worrying that the damn stuff won’t set.  However, as advised by my “Jam Aunties” here on MSE, I boiled it all for over 10 minutes before testing for set AND I used my sugar thermometer, with it’s jam marking (which it took forever to reach).  I’m certain that cooled jelly was set on the side of the preserving pan (aka my pressure cooker)  before I washed it up, but I still worry.  This is only the 7th or 8th time I’ve ever made jam or jelly.

- Pip
    Annnndddd...... Just as I dreaded - it hasn't set.  I got up this morning and tested it by tipping a half filled bottle onto its side.  I've even compared it to a successful bottle of jelly from 2018, so I know it really hasn't set.   What went wrong?  Did I overboil it or did it just not reach setting point?  I don't know.  I had tested it for set before I bottled it and it wasn't perfect, so probably the latter.

Tomorrow, I'll bung in a bottle of Certo just in case, reboil it and try again.

< sigh >

- Pip